RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:09 PM   #1

Help - Engine in Protect Mode

Hope someone can help. Engine is a 2006 Cat 350. Started the motorhome for the first time in a few months. Worked fine last trip.

Engine started right up this time and runs fine, but within a few seconds lit the check engine light and then maybe 15-20 seconds later lit the protect light. The engine runs smooth and revs ok (I didn't move it, just started it). Battery voltage it good and alternator is charging. I got the following codes on VMSPC diagnostics.

Type Format Data Info
SID 79 53 Intake Air Heater Driver #1
PID 111 33 Coolant Level
SPN 729 5 Intake Heater Low Current
SPN 639 12 J1939 Data Link Bad Program
0 0 Unknown Component High Reading
0 0 Unknown Component High Reading

Coolant level is 1/4" below cold max.

Any ideas? I wanted to take it in for state inspection tomorrow, but will need to fix this first.

Thanks!
Jay

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #2

I know what I would do first, is disconect the engine battery cables and see if the codes can be reset? Over night would be first. I'm sure someone has the answer.

GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #3

Thanks. The batteries were disconnected before I started for a couple weeks.

I have them disconnected tonight (both chassis and coach switches off).

Further research points toward the coolant sensor or wiring to the sensor. Unfortunately, that means the bedroom slide has to go out, washer/dryer cabinet door needs to come off, the closet floor needs to be removed and the access hatch removed. I have to go to work tomorrow, so it will be next weekend before I can do any real troubleshooting. At least it failed its home parking spot!!

Jay
Old 09-18-2019, 10:39 PM   #4

Top off the coolant and your engine light should go off
Cdnw30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:49 PM   #5
Cat

Coolant switches are known problems. They set alarms and derate engines even if the coolant is ok.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #6

Coolant level is at Max cold. Still bad. Could be sensor, wiring, sensor controller or ECM. I ordered a sensor due today (wanted one for the spares box anyhow). Will take the closet floor apart tonight and troubleshoot. Hoping for just a bad sensor, not chewed wiring. I squirrel was seen under the motorhome recently.

Jay
jnwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
DJJ

Question for CAT, or anyone else, can you unplug the connection to the low coolant sensor and put a jumper across the wiring harness connector to fool the ECM?

Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #8

Ok, I replaced the sensor and re-filled the surge tank. Started the engine, still Check Engine and Protect Mode lights. Engine still runs and sounds fine. I didn't see any chewed wires near the sensor. So I either need to clear the codes somehow, or it is something else.

Anyone know the procedure to clear the codes on the C7? I have VMSPC, but I don't know if it clear codes in the ECU.

If it is not the clearing the codes, then I need to remove the hatch under the bedroom step, much harder, so it will need to be tomorrow night's project. That hatch will let me look at the controller and connections.

Hope someone can help with the clear codes question.

Jay
Old 09-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #9
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
Question for CAT, or anyone else, can you unplug the connection to the low coolant sensor and put a jumper across the wiring harness connector to fool the ECM?

Jeff
It depends on the chassis manufactory, how they wired it and the sensor used. Sorry not an easy answer. Safe Travels
Old 09-20-2019, 09:21 PM   #10

Looked at the wiring and didn't see any visible problems and there was the right voltage on the module. Since it is Friday I decided to get the Coolant Module on order in case. Module for my chassis is KYS-1539-10092-01. It is a 5 volt model. The original one was Medallion with the same part number except without the KYS (which is Kysor brand). Will do continuity checks on all the wires this weekend. BTW, the part number for the coolant sensor is KYS-5022-11366-05. Both part numbers obtained from Freightliner Help line.

Jay
Old 09-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #11

Ok, it is fixed. Was doing continuity tests on all the wires and found the wire from the module to the sensor was broken. The sensor wire goes from the sensor through air and is then wire tied to the Upper Radiator hose. The wire tie was very tight. Evidently, the vibration at that point finally broke the wire. There is plenty of slack in that wire (folded back and forth on the radiator hose), so I spliced, waterproofed and armored the area before re-wire tying.

The Protect (limp mode) light is out and it no longer throws the SPN111 FMI 1 low coolant code. The Check Engine light is still on, but that is for SPN 729 FMI 5 - Grid heater low current. My next adventure in wiring and relays for this afternoon.

Jay
Old 09-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #12

Check Engine now fixed at well. Small wire to the grid heater relay looked cut but maybe chewed. Unbolted the relay (2 - 13mm bolts) and removed the old terminal and boot. Made up a new terminal pigtail and spliced to harness. Armored with corrugated cover. Nut on relay is 3/8".

Verified on LBCU Diagnostics, no active codes!! Yay!!!!

Put bedroom back together - done....

Jay
Old 09-21-2019, 08:42 PM   #13
Cat

Great job! Feels good to figure those problems out. And thank you for getting back to the forum and letting everyone know how you solved the problems. Safe Travels
Old 09-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #14

Thanks! I always try to put the resolution /conclusion information in. Not only is it courteous, but it is a way to build the knowledge base for problems. I many times get information from these forums and it only makes sense to give back when you can.

Jay

Tags
engine