Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Help - STOP ENGINE light

2006 Cat c-7 Fleedwood Excursion, Mp-8 chip set @ 1/2, Aero 5050xl muffler, 27000 miles. / Just headed up I-70 out of Denver on a steep approach ( after several other steep climbs) stop engine warning came on for 2 or 3 seconds a couple times. Pulled over checked everything (fluids etc.) all was fine. Everything seems fine no power loss, engine temp at time was 195. Stopped for awhile let engine cool got back on road approx. 30 min later on next steep climb light comes on a again for a few seconds and goes off. Continued for another hour to destination without it coming on. Doesn't do it going downhill I guess. Any Ideas, gotta go back up passes in a few days.
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I had the exact same symptoms with my Cummins 400 ISL heading up the Grapevine on I5 into L.A. and it turned out to be low coolant which apparently tripped a sensor when pointed uphill.

Probably no help if you've checked all the fluid levels.

Best of luck and let us know what you find.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Coolant was my first thought but couldn't get anymore fluid in, full to cap, no overflow bottle just overflow hose to ground, which had spit some coolant out on mup flap
Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The electronics are detecting a problem that is serious enough to trigger the warning. Have you tried setting the MP-8 back to standard and see if it still happens? That's the first thing I would try, after that it might be wise to take it to a CAT shop and have them check the codes that it might have set.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #5

stop engine

Had same problem (when going up a long hill like the one you are talking about). You need to turn off dash air and turn heater on. The ECU on the engine is reading it is getting to warm and wants to shut engine down. By running the dash heater it will help cool the engine. Make sure you are not in overdrive with your transmission also. After you got up the hill the light went out right? Don't think you will have problem again doing this.

good luck
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I thought that the MP-8 might be spike the turbo temp into range of warning, going to try that. Its strange because the incline wasn't that steep and had been climbing serveral hills prior to that, but others I climbed at higher RPM,s, this time I was going slower, I've read previously that if engine is lugging it actually can increase EGR temps possibly causing spike in temp.

Engine temp was fine so I'm not sure on the heater, didn't have air on, but who knows.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I tried using the MP-8 at full turn and was receiving a stop engine and check engine light on the dash going up grades. So I turned it down a bit - not half way - and have not had a occurrence of the dash light warnings. About two weeks ago I came out of Denver on I-70 up to the Eisenhower tunnel and it did not activate the warning lights.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks, I'll play w/dial adjustment on return trip, this is first mountain trip with MP-8, about 8-10000 on flat lands.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I had a similar problem - Stop Engine Light, Check Engine Light, and the buzzer. It happened several times.Freightliner in Gafney thought that it was the low coolant sensor. He filled the expansion tank to the maximum. Long story short - it was a sticking exhaust brake - diagnosed by my local Freightliner dealer from codes in the engine computer.

I don't know if the MP-8 would diagnose that or not. The monitor on the dashboard did not pick it up.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 05-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #10

i had the same problem wit my cummins when i first bought it took it in computer needed to be adjusted now that it's fix never had a problem since
travelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Resolved issue, on return trip started out with MP-8 turned up and upon climbing Vail pass (10,000 plus ft.), Stop Engine warning came on, turned dial to off and no further problems, Stop Engine warning is triggered at full and half settings, 1/4 setting doesn't trigger warning. Any ideas why ?
Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Do you have an EGT gauge? The check engine light and stop engine came on when the engine was running higer exhaust temps so I tend to shift down manually to keep the EGT down. I also have MP-8, 505XL & towing Mini Cooper.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #13

I manually downshift my automatic transmission to keep my rpm's up when climbing. That helps keep coolant temp down. The lower rpm's causes an extra load on the diesel and creates more heat.
JAX-CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
No gauges, thats next on the list. I didn't think to downshift, should have known that from previously reading other posts on subject. I'll try it on next trip, but gotta get gauges. MH still climbed every pass @ 50-60 mph without MP-8 on. Thanks for the imput.