RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
AND; the last Freightliner dealer I was at wanted + $40 an hour for motorhomes over trucks. DOUBLE OUCH.

kmb1966 , where are you ; city state ; for a small portion of what they quoted I might be able to stop by and do the change over . I work for beer .
Hey, Skip, looks like you might be from BC and tend to travel down the west coast, I'd like to take you up on your offer of a change over sometime this year. If that's ok? Beer and cash money is what I'd offer. I'm in Pahrump, NV right now.

Can meet you anywhere basically, but much prefer the west. I usually hang around the Oregon/Washington area of Portland in summer straight on down to Mexico as weather moves me. Snow bird these days. Stop in many places for weeks at a time. Including Burns, Pahrump, etc.. Right now I'm in Pahrump for another week or two, then up to Ely, NV for a while, then up to Twin Falls, Idaho. Don't have any place in particular to be either.

Sure would be nice to have some assistance while trying my hand at getting that hose replaced with the tube.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post

Sure would be nice to have some assistance while trying my hand at getting that hose replaced with the tube.
Well Jim; I don't tend to linger on my travel to my snowbird spot ; near Parker AZ, but I do spend 5 1/2 months there .
I'm not sure of your exhaust system set up ; my muffler is on the passenger side to make room on the drivers for the side radiator ; but when I asked for help when I was having oil leak issues , members who responded said they dropped the muffler to allow better access from underneath the coach.

IAPCV removal from HEUI pump

Because my coach doesn't have a bedroom slide , I didn't have to go that route.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #17

Wow. Mine is different too. 2001 dutch star 3883. It's a rubber hose that goes right into the bottom of the HEUI pump. https://postimg.cc/SXHKHXd8
New 2 Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Well Jim; I don't tend to linger on my travel to my snowbird spot ; near Parker AZ, but I do spend 5 1/2 months there .
I'm not sure of your exhaust system set up ; my muffler is on the passenger side to make room on the drivers for the side radiator ; but when I asked for help when I was having oil leak issues , members who responded said they dropped the muffler to allow better access from underneath the coach.

IAPCV removal from HEUI pump

Because my coach doesn't have a bedroom slide , I didn't have to go that route.
Just spent a week in Parker getting my broken serpentine belt and seized up A/C compressor changed...I'm a fan of the area, usually stay at Blue Water but this time stayed at the Emerald Cove park on the CA side. OK park but the Wifi, RV sites, and water are just not good enough for me to pay $9,000 for a membership.

My rig has the rear rad and a bedroom slide on the drivers side, with a N-S bed frame with engine access underneath the bed.

I've been looking at pictures I have of the engine compartment and the HEUI and hose look fairly accessible on the passenger side of the engine. But wow, what a chore if either the HEUI or hose needs replacing. I was happy to read that the HEUI doesn't fail often so that's good news. Think I will get that hose changed out to the steel tube this year for sure though.

Assuming I have the location of the HEUI correct, might consider removing the heat pump (which I did a couple weeks ago and it's pretty easy) and the air intake assembly on the side of the bed frame for full access to those engine parts.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #19

This is very interesting. Is this kit going to replace this hose (in the pic I attached) on my 3126b in a 2001 newmar Dutch star 3883? I know it's $1k but cat wants $200 just for the replacement steel pipe?

Notice the bottom is very wet looking.

PS: What about quick connect fittings on the engine to the hoses for future work needing to be done on the hoses?
Old 05-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #20

You definitely have a leak there. But...it's more like seeping then leaking so you have some time I'd say. But, no expert for sure.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #21

Thanks Jim. So it's the BB link. Got it thanks, I fixed it.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:53 AM   #22
mff

CAT 3126 huei pump line upgrade

Mine is failing too.

did you fine an upgraded line? installation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191030_102102638.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	265325  
mff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mff View Post
Mine is failing too.

did you fine an upgraded line? installation?
I have not found an upgraded rubber hose to replace the one that's cracked on my 3126. Cat no longer makes them and there's none to be had by after market sources that I can find via google.

What I've been planning on doing is when I get down to the River Lodge Resort on Parker Dam Road near Parker on Nov. 20th this year is accept the assistance from the poster who invited me there for a 'working on the Cat session'. He's volunteered to help and has experience with replacing HEUI's.

I am planning on removing the hose and heading over to Phoenix and try to have a new hose made up. I would rather have the hose because (this is just conjecture on my part based on my googleing and reading about HUEI failures) I believe it works to prevent some failures as it 'gives a little' during operation whereas the steel pipe replacement doesn't do that. And the rubber hose has lasted 100K miles for some so it's reliable. This lack of 'give' in the steel pipe IMO causes a slight 'hammering' in the oil flow which is kind of a bad thing for rotating devices like a HEUI.

There are 3 places I've found in Phoenix and Mesa as I recall that may be able to build a new hose based on the old one, and while I'm working on that, I am seriously considering installing a Centrifugal Oil Filter. This is a device that removes even the tiniest particles of soot that accumulate in the oil. The carbon particles are abrasive and over time likely have something to do with the HEUI failures or with injector failures.

Haven't decided for sure yet. I was going to wait until I've talked to the guy in Parker. If the hose can't be reproduced, I'll end up getting the steel pipe I guess.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I have not found an upgraded rubber hose to replace the one that's cracked on my 3126. Cat no longer makes them and there's none to be had by after market sources that I can find via google.

What I've been planning on doing is when I get down to the River Lodge Resort on Parker Dam Road near Parker on Nov. 20th this year is accept the assistance from the poster who invited me there for a 'working on the Cat session'. He's volunteered to help and has experience with replacing HEUI's.

I am planning on removing the hose and heading over to Phoenix and try to have a new hose made up. I would rather have the hose because (this is just conjecture on my part based on my googleing and reading about HUEI failures) I believe it works to prevent some failures as it 'gives a little' during operation whereas the steel pipe replacement doesn't do that. And the rubber hose has lasted 100K miles for some so it's reliable. This lack of 'give' in the steel pipe IMO causes a slight 'hammering' in the oil flow which is kind of a bad thing for rotating devices like a HEUI.

There are 3 places I've found in Phoenix and Mesa as I recall that may be able to build a new hose based on the old one, and while I'm working on that, I am seriously considering installing a Centrifugal Oil Filter. This is a device that removes even the tiniest particles of soot that accumulate in the oil. The carbon particles are abrasive and over time likely have something to do with the HEUI failures or with injector failures.

Haven't decided for sure yet. I was going to wait until I've talked to the guy in Parker. If the hose can't be reproduced, I'll end up getting the steel pipe I guess.

Caterpillar never sold any aftermarket hose assemblies through their parts department. What Caterpillar did/does is they provide hose assembly prints to the Caterpillar dealer who than will obtain the correct fittings either reusable or permanent style and the correct hose size either XT-3,XT-5 or XT-6 material (Caterpillar specification). The dealer will than make the hose to the proper hose length and the bent hose coupling fitting, orientation if any!

This is the way it was for at least 20 years before I retired from Cat in 2009, and I do not think they would have changed since than.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #25
Cat

I am curious if you can find a centrifugal filter that will with stand the very high hyd pressures and operate with low flow of the HEUI pump. I had only seen the centrifugal on engine oil systems.
The HEUI is a very low flow pump, and it will only flow max flow at high idle and max horsepower. At lower rpms and lesser loads the flow will be greatly reduced. There is no published specification that I know of its flow. But A guess would be 3-4 gpm at max demand and much less under the lower demands. Safe Travels.
Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #26

Cat,
I have measured the flow of a new HEUI for design criteria on a product.
A new HEUI puts out 3.1 gpm maximum. 4,200 psi @ 100% engine load. No centrifugal filter will withstand that pressure. NASA may have one! Replacement hoses should be rated for 5,800 psi/24,00 burst. Have a burst cover for safety. 3/8" hose @ 3.1 GPM provides 9.01 FPS. Well within hydraulic design standards.
George
Old 11-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #27

Ahh, well, thanks for that info. So now I know that the centrifugal filter needs to be placed somewhere not in the HEUI oil stream.

I kind of figured that anyway. I wanted to mount it remotely so it's easy to empty after any long trip. All it does basically is clean the oil and return it to the pan. Removing all those tiny, abrasive carbon particles. And it wouldn't matter much where it takes the oil from or even whether it does it during a trip or after a trip. Cleaning the oil is the important part. Cleaning all 20 qts in my Cat would take all of 1 hour.

Have not yet figured if it's economical to use one trying to protect the HEUI.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #28
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery39s View Post
Cat,
I have measured the flow of a new HEUI for design criteria on a product.
A new HEUI puts out 3.1 gpm maximum. 4,200 psi @ 100% engine load. No centrifugal filter will withstand that pressure. NASA may have one! Replacement hoses should be rated for 5,800 psi/24,00 burst. Have a burst cover for safety. 3/8" hose @ 3.1 GPM provides 9.01 FPS. Well within hydraulic design standards.
George
Good to know you actually measured it! Well I made a pretty good guess at it just by remembering the size of the pump.
Well I can't share how well I remembered that pump size with my wife-- when I can't remember what she sent me to the supermarket for. Lol

Cat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade