Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #29

No worries Cat, it's called "Oldtimers". I have what they call selective hearing/memory.
Take care
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2019, 11:44 PM   #30
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery39s View Post
No worries Cat, it's called "Oldtimers". I have what they call selective hearing/memory.
Take care
My wife its just a bad attitude- I don't think so but its possible. Lol
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:41 AM   #31

14-18 hrs to change the line??? Are they taking the engine out??? I had a cat guy that works for a large diesel outfit replace the heui pump and other then getting a special tool that I ordered along with the pump to release the line the entire job only took a little while. Since I don' really remember how long lets say 2-3 hrs. and that might be overstating the time. I have a Journey with 2 engine covers.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #32

I could take two naps, change the hose and catch a shower in that amount of time.
It's two -6 ORB fittings to remove and replace the hose....... My gosh, that's incredible to charge that amount of time.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #33

I was a service manager for several years and when corporate would send out a new flat rate manual, it was always way short of the truth. Times for jobs were wildly excessive for like 80% of the work. What I eventually guessed was that they took the slowest techs time (all 300 shops sent in our work records with the codes and time the job took), doubled it, and made that the flat rate for the entire system of service departments. At least that's how it seemed they came up with the times they did.

So to find a 3 hour job listed at 14-18 hours in a flat rate manual doesn't sound all that strange, if a bit high. I will say that if a customer questioned it, as an honest guy, I would let them know that it wouldn't take that long and that I'd give them the hourly rate, not the flat rate. Usually I'd look at every work order before the customer came in to pick up their item and adjust it before they ever saw it. My techs were aware too. On those rare occasions where the flat rate was less, I'd go with that.

If you see something like that, ask to talk to the manager, ask about the flat rate being so wildly speculative, than ask for the hourly rate instead. Of course it's always best to be armed with knowledge like shown here on the iRV2 web site.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:01 AM   #34
mff

Heui pump oil line ID

I have a seeping hose (top),
Is this the high pressure line?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191228_084526116.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	270779   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191228_084349130.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	270780  

mff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mff View Post
I have a seeping hose (top),
Is this the high pressure line?
I believe so. That looks like the supply to the HEUI on a Cat engine. Cat has a steel replacement.

Here's a link to part numbers...read the entire thread: HEUI p/n's

I just had mine inspected ('02 Cat 3126e) by a diesel mechanic, and mine looks like it is an aircraft quality hose. No cracks at all. Might have been used only on the 'e' or might have been a test by Cat? Didn't look like it had been installed by the PO. We couldn't tell in any event. But it's in such good shape, not going to replace it. So any lurkers here with a Cat, check yours before ordering parts.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #36

Jim,
For reference, the old style "round can" HEUI runs around 3850 psi and the new style HEUI runs around 4250 max psi. If at anytime the original cat OEM hose is not used the hose shop needs to understand the requirements. Temperature is also a critical requirement. 210f or>. Burst cover is also added protection against pin hole spray concerns. Leaking sockets can also be a hazard. Any sign of leakage should be a priority repair, my opinion.

Most B and E models use -6 FFS (flat face seal) swivel on both ends. Most hose, domestic or offshore, have a 4:1 safety factor. 5,000 psi rated hose would have a 20,000 psi burst rating.

Cheers
Old 12-29-2019, 09:13 AM   #37

@discovery39s: Geo...are you saying that MFF should get that hose replaced ASAP? It is seeping as he says, not leaking. So does he have some wiggle room as far as timing of the repair? Or should he make an appointment today?

And of course, that hose, does it also run at 3850 psi? Or is that after the HEUI and into the fuel rail? And what PSI does it run at if not the 3850?

Any idea what my special hose is about? Where it came from? Some test by Cat maybe?

Here's a picture of my HEUI and hose taken just a couple weeks ago. Note the hose doesn't have any cracks, and there's no seepage anywhere. I'm hoping that this hose will last another 8 years at ~5K miles per year but I'd like to know more about it:

Old 12-29-2019, 03:37 PM   #38

Jim,
Here is a photo of hose used on a new style HEUI. The GPM output of a HEUI is approximately 3 gpm.

Name:	ENGINE CONNECTIONS.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	270944
Old 12-30-2019, 04:31 AM   #39
mff

Yes, it is a 02CAT, 3126e in a 2003 Monaco Cheetah 3742, 59k miles

Very little space to add a filter
access is thru bedroom floor-10" x 36"
Location is Corpus Christi Texas
Old 12-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #40
mff

I'd tag on heui oil line

Failing oil line- where can I get one?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20191230_100608509.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	493.1 KB
ID:	270993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191230_100620448.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	479.3 KB
ID:	270994  

Old 12-30-2019, 09:50 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mff View Post
Failing oil line- where can I get one?
That is an old Areoquip part number that is most likely not available from Areoquip due to purchase agreement with Cat.

As an option you can contact any "Parker Store". They are all over the planet. The can build you a custom hose while you wait. They may not have a burst cover available immediately, but, to reduce a possible major leak this is an option.

Again, be sure it is rated for 5,000+ psi operating and rated for 210f or >.
Fittings are -6 FFS 90 swivel X -6FFS straight swivel.

Good luck to you.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #42
mff

Thumbs up Replaced huei pressure line

Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery39s View Post
That is an old Areoquip part number that is most likely not available from Areoquip due to purchase agreement with Cat.

As an option you can contact any "Parker Store". They are all over the planet. The can build you a custom hose while you wait. They may not have a burst cover available immediately, but, to reduce a possible major leak this is an option.

Again, be sure it is rated for 5,000+ psi operating and rated for 210f or >.
Fittings are -6 FFS 90 swivel X -6FFS straight swivel.

Good luck to you.

After getting advise/support from George Flanik, I Removed the old leaking oil line- it was seeping from the top/head fitting due to vibration/cracks. Ordered a newline with burst protection cover from ifskit.com. Excellent products and customer service!!

Tags
upgrade