Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HEUI Pump Post-Filter

I recently installed the IFS filter kit on my CAT C7, offered by Delam Solutions. The developer and owner George, is known on iRV2 as discovery39s.

This filter kit is designed to protect the fuel injection system when the HEUI pump fails....notice I said when, not if. As most of you know, when the HEUI fails, it usually sends metal fragments down the fuel rail, resulting in a very expensive repair. With the IFS kit installed, the fragments are filtered out, protecting the fuel injection. You will still have to replace the HEUI, but at a much lower cost. The cost of the IFS kit ran me just under $1000. A bit pricey, but still far less than the potential damage that could be done by a fragmented HEUI pump.

During my IFS kit install, I was extremely impressed with the quality of the components, they look bullet-proof. It was a fairly easy install. I did have to stop and call the owner with a question at one point, George was friendly and extremely helpful. He even called me back later to ensure the install went ok and to see if I was happy with his product. A real stand up guy!

I have now put over 500 miles on the IFS filter. It has zero leaks and has given me great peace of mind knowing that a HEUI failure in my future will not be a catastrophe. If interested, the IFS system can be found here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0974.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	242107

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #2

HEUI Pump IFS

Gadget man
My install was also just completed and I too had to make a couple of calls to George. He is really a stand up person and also very passionate about his IFS. If you ever need it its there just like insurance.
I am really happy I did the install altho my coach does not get used much anymore due to my wife's health condition I still want it road ready and as low maintenance as I can get.
I hope everyone that has the HEUI pump will contact George and protect the expensive part of there engine,
What was the old TV ad that said (pay me now or pay me later). except later is going to be a whole lot more than now.
Just my thoughts
Busyguy
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks busyguy. I agree, George is a great guy. He provides a level of customer service that just isn’t found much anymore.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:10 PM   #4

Just installed my kit today as well! I’ve not spoken to George, but have exchanged emails w/him leading up to the kit purchase. He and his wife are really good people, and run a real professional business.

For me, the most challenging part was “the other end of the hoses.” I did email George for help, but resolved my issue without hearing back - yet! In my case a little rust was not helpful. I was twisting the hex nut on the engine head while trying to loosen the old metal hose nut. George does mention the importance of securing the hex nut on the new hoses while tightening those hoses. I figured it’s probably a good idea to hold the engine hex nut IF metal tubing is old with some corrosion. At first I was scared I’d do more damage than good, but all worked out well! Folks, if I can do this install, anyone can!!

Likewise, I’m glad I have the kit. It is solid! Apologies the pic got posted sideways.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2F5408E5-748E-483F-9387-600C2370424D.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	242148  
mrbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #5

Mr BAP,
Sorry, I was working on an install and didn't hear my phone tone. I replied to your email then realized you didn't need my assistance after all. Your a pro! Congrats to all.
George
Old 04-19-2019, 07:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i installed my unit last week. I had trouble because I had the basement air and muffler where it normally would be installed on the frame. The hoses were not long enough to get the unit anywhere else on the frame. I had ordered a spare hose in case HEUI failed. I found I needed hoses with the 90 degree on both out of HEUI and into block to supply the injectors. I had to also get a another 90 degree connection so hose would turn and go toward the back of the coach. I have a side radiator so I was able to mount the filter to the structure that supports the surge tank at the back. It certainly was not easy on mine and now I don't have the spare hose and I have a hose I don't need I like where it is installed it will be easy to check to see if it is stopped up. once I got what I needed to install the install was pretty straight forward. I don't know if anyone else had to remove the fuel filter to get to the connections but I did.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HEUI Pump Post-Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heating man View Post
i installed my unit last week. I had trouble because I had the basement air and muffler where it normally would be installed on the frame....

Your install was definitely more difficult than mine, but I did have to remove my secondary fuel filter as well. The only issue I ran into was a noticeable noise traveling down my frame rail and inside my coach. If you look closely at the photo in my OP, you’ll see some red rubber bushings. The noise disappeared after I installed these. I informed George of this noise, I am the only person so far with this issue. To keep it from happening to others, George told me he plans on including isolation bushings on future kits. I like a company that listens to it’s customers!

Before I ordered my IFS kit, I made sure to scout out the the HEUI, the possible route of the hoses and a mounting spot before I ordered my IFS kit. Perhaps George should suggest folks do this before they pull the trigger. I ultimately ended up routing my hoses differently and used a different mounting location, but the hoses were more than long enough to accommodate the changes.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:38 AM   #8

I am intrested in getting one for my 05 Journey 34H with Cat 350
If possible can any one post some pictures of the install ?
Or what it looks like after the install .
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey cat View Post
I am intrested in getting one for my 05 Journey 34H with Cat 350
If possible can any one post some pictures of the install ?
Or what it looks like after the install .

Scroll up and look at the photo in my OP.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
Scroll up and look at the photo in my OP.

I saw that but did not knoe what coach it was on
Is that on a Journey ?
If so would you have picture of where it connects to the engine ?
Old 04-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #11

Hi Journey Cat,

My post #4 shows where on the engine and HEUI the other end of the hoses go. If you have a newer style HEUI you would be replacing a small original metal tube. See pic...

Best of luck. I’m glad I have my kit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4AF9118E-CEFE-4CB3-B601-0D48E8E0E6A8.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	242997  
mrbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
Your install was definitely more difficult than mine, but I did have to remove my secondary fuel filter as well. The only issue I ran into was a noticeable noise traveling down my frame rail and inside my coach. If you look closely at the photo in my OP, you’ll see some red rubber bushings. The noise disappeared after I installed these. I informed George of this noise, I am the only person so far with this issue. To keep it from happening to others, George told me he plans on including isolation bushings on future kits. I like a company that listens to it’s customers!

Before I ordered my IFS kit, I made sure to scout out the the HEUI, the possible route of the hoses and a mounting spot before I ordered my IFS kit. Perhaps George should suggest folks do this before they pull the trigger. I ultimately ended up routing my hoses differently and used a different mounting location, but the hoses were more than long enough to accommodate the changes.
In my case I don't think scouting would have helped. It is hard to tell exactly how it will run until you get the hoses and see where they can be run. In my case if I wanted it attached to the frame the hoses would have to be longer to get past the basement air and muffler. I actually like where it ended up it is easy to get to.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #13

MRBAP ,
When you speak of the newer pump .
What I have is what I call the dome pump Rather than the Can pump.
Mine is an 05 Journey Cat 350 Freightliner XC .
Pictures you show , are Winnebago ?
I believe this is the line you refer to . And a picture of my pump
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2c0.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	243144   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2c2.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	243145  

Old 04-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HEUI Pump Post-Filter

Heating man,

Glad you got it configured the way you like. It’s a reminder that just because we may have the same chassis and/or engine, the RV manufacturer may have added additional equipment that changes everything.

Journey cat,

I can’t speak for mrbap, but your photo does indeed show the newer style HEUI pump and the correct oil line that needs to be removed for the IFS install.