RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:28 PM   #1

High engine Temps

We've had some issues with overheating.
I've changed the water pump, changed the thermostats, and pressure cleaned the radiators.
We have a 2003 National Tradewinds 375LE with a 330hp Caterpillar 3126 engine.
She ran great at 190 from Florida to Michigan to Tennessee across Missouri., Nebraska, SD and into Wyoming.
We started up Hwy 16 from Buffalo West and soon the temp climbed and the high temp alarm went off.
I let it cool and went farther up the mountain in 3rd at 2-2500 rpms. That did better, but alarm went off again as we reached the top.
We let it sit a while and was able to baby it on across the Big Horn mountains and now safe and secure in Ten Sleep.
What else can I do?
And how many more climbs like this am I going to encounter from here through Cody across Yellowstone?
Frustrated!

Wm Mayberry
2003 National Tradewinds 375LE
2011 Honda CRV

wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 07:03 PM   #2

we have a 03 Gulfsteam with a CAT 330HP and rear radiator. We had similar issue a few months ago. While driving over the hill next to the Hoover dam the we had to stop due to high temp. We finally made it over at 15 MPH and were able to get to Las Vegas. While there I checked the water pump belt and it was loose and no adjustment left. So I replaced the belt and thought problem solved, but it wasn't. As we left the RV park the temp was rising around to 210 on flat terrain so we knew we wouldn't make it through the desert. We stopped at the CAT dealer in Vegas and they were able to get us in. Once in the found that the spring loaded idler pulley was not able to keep the serpentine belt tight. We also had the water pump adjustment pulley assembly replaced as well as having the radiator cleaned. The Coach has never ran as cool as it did after that repair. I had also replaced the thermostats and flushed the radiator.

BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
Cat

It's very difficult to clean the radiator or the aftercooler core without pulling them to clean. You can't really use a high pressure cleaner because it will damage the find and cores. So you have to use a low pressure spray. The other problem is you will blow the crap out of one core into the gap between the two cores. So it can't get out. And once you start the engine the fan air flow will start to pick up that crap and move it back in to cores. You only need to plug up about 15% of the surface area to cause overheating under heavy loads and high ambients. Safe Travels also make sure your radiator cap is holding the correct pressure.
Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #4

We are going to be in Cody WY today. Anyone know of a place I can get my radiator and engine checked?
Thanks
Old 08-24-2019, 09:36 PM   #5

We made the trip from Cody to West Yellowstone. I was concerned, but by watching my rpms I was able to make the trip up the major pulls fine.
All went well and this is Amazing country.

Wm

Tags
engine