Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How many quarts of oil and what kind?

I believe the capacity is 22qts on the C-37 330hp engine that I have......but when doing the oil change and filter change, how many qts do you put in? Also, any recommendations on brand and wt? I live in central CA.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The original manual from Cat showed 22 quarts. I suggest you call Cat to verify but on my 03 Cat C-7 they dropped it down to 19 because the engines were throwing oil out the breather tube and causing the CAC/Radiator to plug up. If you go to Yahoo groups Catrvclub and search there is a lot of information on this problem. If it has not been done you need to extend the breather tube to behind the radiator. I run Delo 400 LE in my diesel engines.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #3

Delvac (Mobil). Delo (Chevron), and Rotella (Shell) are pretty much the industry standards.

My 3126 has a 22qt. pan but the stick is marked for 19qt. with filter. As others have said, 19qt. should be good for the c7 also.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Seems to me reading other posts there are two different oil crankcase pans for the C-7 330HP - one is deep (22 qts) and one is shallow (19 qts). So if I read correctly you stand a chance of either over filling or under filling if you don't know which oil pan is attached to your engne. That would be worth a call to Cat, no?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I called Cat yesterday and my engine is 19 qts.
Brian
Old 06-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercub View Post
I called Cat yesterday and my engine is 19 qts.
Brian
If it has not been done you will need to recalibrate your dipstick.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #7

Just did the oil change and filter replacement on my 3126E today. I have the shallow pan. After draining the oil and changing the filter I filled the crankcase with 17 quarts of Rotella 15W-40. Started the engine and let it idle for two minutes then shut her down. Waited ten minutes and then checked the dip stick and it was between the low and high mark. Added 2 additional quarts of oil and the oil level was right on the full mark. I'm the third owner so I'm unsure if the dip stick was calibrated. I'm comfortable that the oil level is correct as 19 quarts put it on the full mark.

Bob
2001.5 Fleetwood Discovery
330 Cat
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
I use 15 - 40 W Amsoil Diesel Engine Oil. 20 quarts is what mine calls for. However, I always run mine just shy of a quart low. I get almost no blow by and I don't worry about having foam in the oil pan. Also, may I recommend the Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve.

If you are a slob like I am, you will love this valve. Great for not only changing oil but each year I do the S.O.S. oil analysis. Just slowly turn the valve, fill the sample bottle, then shut the valve. NO MORE MESS.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote