Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2017, 06:41 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
in 2007, CAT (RV Hotline) and Frieghtliner came out with specific oil calibration.
3126E and C7. 19 Qts instead of the 22 Qts.
Here is the thing. If you call today's CAT hotline they will say 22 Qts. If you talk to many of the ones at FL, same thing. However, if you talk to Mike Cody FL Camp Freightliner , he will instruct 19Qts.

Re-calibrate oil dip stick.
put in 17 Qts. Check and make a mark on the dip stick. This is the full mark.
run engine few minutes - wait. Check and make a mark on the dip stick. This is the add mark.
Now add remaining oil - you're done.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #16

I have a 2001 3126E. I called Cat, they told me that the over fill issue was with the C-7 not the 3226 E and told me to put 22 qts in in. I did. I have extended the slobber tube and have a catch bottle at the end of it. I run the oil between 1 qt low and half a qt low, Oil pressure is good and no significant discharge.

If you extend the slobber tube you can afford to error on the high side, it won't hurt the engine and if your catching the excess its all good.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywolf View Post
I have a 2000 Tradewinds with a 300 HP Cat in it.
The book says it take 21 quarts of oil at changing with filter.
I have read on line that Cat issued a service bulletin to only use 19 quarts as 21 quarts will cause foaming and the engine will throw the other 2 quarts out the blowby tube. Where do I go to find the correct answer?
My book says 34qts. but when calling CAT with my S/N, they said 33qts.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #18

Interesting thread.

I have a low mileage 3126b (130 miles) and I am starting to wonder about my dipstick.

Any long run puts me down a qt. I don't seem to be burning or leaking the stuff. Oil pressure seems to be normal and when I ask questions...I get non answers.

Where is this slobber tube and do I put a catchment pail on the bottom to see what is happening ?

Sorry for the hijack but this seems to be a good thread to ask.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2017, 04:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Interesting thread.

Where is this slobber tube and do I put a catchment pail on the bottom to see what is happening ?

Thanks
The slobber tube comes off the vent cap on the top of the motor (breather cap) it generally runs down the side of the block and exits at or near the oil pan. On the rear radiator units it will suck the discharge into the radiator.
Most people extend that tube to the rear of the coach, putting a catch bottle is optional but, i did to monitor whats happening and reduce the mess.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
The slobber tube comes off the vent cap on the top of the motor (breather cap) it generally runs down the side of the block and exits at or near the oil pan. On the rear radiator units it will suck the discharge into the radiator.
Most people extend that tube to the rear of the coach, putting a catch bottle is optional but, i did to monitor whats happening and reduce the mess.
Frank,

Thanks. I need to do this for my own piece of mind.

Ian
Old 05-09-2017, 04:55 PM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Interesting thread.

I have a low mileage 3126b (130 miles) and I am starting to wonder about my dipstick.

Any long run puts me down a qt. I don't seem to be burning or leaking the stuff. Oil pressure seems to be normal and when I ask questions...I get non answers.

Thanks
Could be that you're too full, so if me, I'd watch it and if doesn't go down any further, then I'd leave it alone.
It would take a lot of engine blow by to lose that much oil through the slobber tube. I have a gatorade bottle with vent holes hanging on mine and don't think there's much of anything in there, after quite a few miles.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Could be that you're too full, so if me, I'd watch it and if doesn't go down any further, then I'd leave it alone.
You are correct...I am not going to fill as before and just watch where the level goes.. but I am also curious what is being spewed out the hose..

We had a similar dipstick level question a couple of years ago when my kids and I rebuilt an engine..but we had to buy an aftermarket dipstick. We filled the engine then marked where the high level was..

thanks