Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Ok I will take a pencil with me on my next trip. Wonder how the "fueling map" can be adjusted to reflect the actual mileage on the Scan Gauge "D"? This info is new to me. If true I sure was fooled. Funny the "gauge" showed the right speed, RPM so I had NO clue that the MPG would be off. With lower RPM going 55 verses 55 at a higher RPM in 5th gear I thought logically that I would be getting better fuel economy. deSanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
But it sure is fun to blow some black smoke into a tailgaiters window!
With the Banks kit I get NO black smoke. Black smoke means too much fuel for complete combustion and is bad news in a diesel! This is what raises the EGT's too high.
My VMSpc shows 256 mpg going down a hill with closed throttle, it also shows as low as 2 mpg going uphill and 14-16 mpg on level ground.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fuel Map ect.

In order to change the OEM fuel map you'd need to re-flash the computer. A pencil is cheaper. Heck, an iPad is cheaper and the calculator app is free.

I keep the 256 picture around just for the (non-RV) people who ask about mileage. Especially if they drive a Prius and ask in that 'disapproving' tone of voice.

My F250 only smokes on the +130HP setting, and I never use that setting because it feels like there's not that much difference between it and the towing mode, and the fuel mileage goes WAY down. I have an EGT guage and it gets up there only when towing 10,000# + up a very steep hill.

I've seen vids of trucks with 'Smoke' buttons installed. Maybe that's the way to go for tailgaitors. A 'Flame' button would be even better!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 PM   #18

WOW!
I wish I coud double my MPG. I have a c15 515/600 Cat and 7.4 on flat ground and 1.3 on a very long hard pull at about 50MPH is the best she will do. I don't run but around 65mph on the HWY and never go wide open on a pull. I love the c15, but she loves diesel.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the C7 Cat and wish I could buy a Banks kit for it but they don't make a kit for Cat engines. That's why I'm looking into a chip. I don't pay attention to that onboard computer anyhow. It's too hard to read, (I have to get down and sit on the floor in order to see it) and I don't believe it gives me real time MPG. It shows me 7.0 MPG no matter what speed I drive or what I'm towing.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #20

If you are refering to the Freightliner Trip Computer that fuel mileage number you are seeing is the historic since new mileage. Mine is 7.2. There is also a instant mileage reading you can get but it is pretty useless also. If you have one of the older Computers that is black letters on a green background they are almost impossible to read. There is a newer version with black letters and a white background that is much easier to read but its still rather worthless. I replaced mine with the newer version but it was really a waste of money.The worst part of the mileage readout is it is not resettable. The new Scangauge D is cheaper than the Freightliner meter.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #21

Sanford,

I a pretty convinced the MP-8 is what is screwing up the mileage read out. If I am right there will not be a way to calibrate the Scangauge as any change in the MP-8 setting will change the information sent to the Scangauge.

We have two aftermarket gadgets that don't play well together.

Jim
Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've had my mp-8 for around 6000 miles no increase in mpgs, just better performance
Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
If you are refering to the Freightliner Trip Computer that fuel mileage number you are seeing is the historic since new mileage.
According to studies and white papers published by Cummins it takes 140,000 miles for that readout to show what you're actually getting. I figure in another 30 years mine might be correct although the VMSpc might be more accurate. I usually just have it showing me the instantaneous readout.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I e-mailed Ron the developer of the Scan Gauge "D" and asked him to settle this. Below is the e-mail I sent him today. deSanford

Hi Ron,

Need some help here. I have a TS Performance MP-8 that has increased my torque and HP for my Cummins ISB340HP 6.7L Diesel. Part of the kit was shims to increase the fuel line pressure. I had to drive 67mph in order to get to 6th gear overdrive. Now after all my new found power I had the TCM recalibrated by Detroit Diesel Allison in Coberb, Ore. Now I get into 6th gear at 55mph with RPM at around 1375 in cruise with the "ECON" on. (on transmission control). My mileage has gone from 6-8mpg to 14.6-16.1mpg as shown on the Scan Gauge "D". My friends on the Caterpillar MP-8 iRV2 blog say the Scan Gauge D is not very accurate etc. TS Performance contact person is Randy at extension 1112 at 270-746-9999 . Can you resolve our disagreement on the mileage readings. I believe your gauge......they say your gauge doesn't work with the MP-8. What say you?

Thanks,

Sanford
Old 09-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the reply from Scan Gauge Developer Ron:

Ron DeLong
2:57 PM (13 minutes ago)

Sanford,

I called earlier today, but you were not there.

The ScanGauge reports the fuel use as directly told to it by the vehicles computer. The vehicle computer controls the amount of fuel injected by controlling the injector pulse width. It also uses this width to report the fuel being used. When you changed the pressure, the amount being injected was increased for any given injector pulse width. The vehicle computer now thinks it is not injecting as much as it really is. This is why the economy appears so much higher. The fuel flow is being under-reported to the ScanGauge.

There is a fix for this. The ScanGauge allows you to adjust the fuel flow rate used to determine the fuel use. This is "hidden" in the Advanced setup menu, since it is rarely needed. Use the following sequence after pressing the HOME button (the one with the yellow circle around it): MORE>SETUP Then press the upper left button to get to the ADV SETTINGS screen then EDIT. Scroll through the selections using the upper right button until you see "Fuel Adj". This is where you can compensate for the modified fuel flow reporting. Use the lower left button to change it to -35.0%. You will need to hold the lower left button down for a while to get there. Hit the HOME button to exit this screen. The 35% is my estimate of the amount of under-reporting.

To dial it in closer, you will need to manually measure the fuel economy starting with a full tank. Make sure to use the fillup procedure in the ScanGauge to make it reset the TANK Fuel used to 0. At the next fillup, use the Trip function to see how much fuel the ScanGauge said you used and compare it to the amount you had to add to fill the tank back up. If the ScanGauge said it took less than the pump said, you need to go more negative by about the percentage it was off. Go less negative on the Fuel Adj if the ScanGauge said you used more.

To get to the TANK fuel used screen, use HOME>TRIP>TRIPS then the lower left button to select TANK and the upper left to select GALLONS.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great info deSanford, thanks!

I have had the MP-8 for a while now. I ordered the ScanGauge but haven't installed it yet.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I was happy with the quick responce, and now I will have something to do on my next trip out. Heading out Wednesday to Alberquirke, NM for the ballon festival. deSanford
Old 09-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #28

Sanford,

Thanks for taking the time to check on it. With the ability to regulate how much change the MP-8 makes on the fuel map with the control knob we should be able to get the AVG right by alternately turning the MP-8 off and reading the mileage number then transfering that number to the AVG with the MP-8 set where you run it. -----Wait-----That won't work --- that will be a artificial number. You will have to check a full tank and that will still not give you the short term AVG that it is supposed to give you. It will be interestng to hear how you do. What ever you do as far as changing the setting it is only going to be right with the control knob in one specific position. Keep us posted.

I wonder if that procedure will work on a Cat where there is no mechanical changes made to the fuel system when adding the MP-8.

Jim