Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just what I wanted to hear, some positive reports of high miles without issues, thanks
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #16

I have a 2004 Cat C-7 in my 36' Itasca and it has been flawless for 57,000 miles but the only thing that really concerns me is the sealed fan hub bearing that seems to be going out anywhere from around 15,000 miles to over 80,000 miles, at least from what I'm reading.

And from what I'm reading when that bearing goes south the fan blades may take out quite a few things back there without any warning. I've been contemplating having that bearing replaced before it goes, with estimates running from $1,000-$2,000. Locating a trustworthy Cat/Freightliner shop has been another hold-back.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #17

We had 122,000+ miles on our 3126B and now 58,000+ on our C-7. No problems on either. The 3126B was getting 9.2-9.7 mpg, but the C-7 is 6.4-6.7 mpg. I attribute this decrease to pollution controls because I am driving about 5 mph slower than I use to do.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
And from what I'm reading when that bearing goes south the fan blades may take out quite a few things back there without any warning. I've been contemplating having that bearing replaced before it goes, with estimates running from $1,000-$2,000. Locating a trustworthy Cat/Freightliner shop has been another hold-back.
Finding a trustworthy shop is not only a hold-back it is impossible,
but still looking.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 3126 CAT in my 2002 DS, 57000 and it runs great. Put a Areo Turbo 50/50 muffler on it and it now runs even better. Had a 425 3406 CAT in my semi tractor and it also was a good strong engine, just because it's yellow don't make it a lemon. Jim
Old 07-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #20

C-7 in our rental equip delivery truck that gets beat to death with 213000 miles on it , head was replaced once because of crack, just passed blow by test and has been serviced every 15000 miles
Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #21

I feel sorry for you guys that can't find a good Cat shop. I have a GREAT Cat shop 15 mile from here in Mt Vernon,WA. NC Machinery. Great very skilled technicians. Reasonable shop labor rate. My go to guy is Eric Westlund. Mid to late 30's and really sharp.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
I feel sorry for you guys that can't find a good Cat shop. I have a GREAT Cat shop 15 mile from here in Mt Vernon,WA. NC Machinery. Great very skilled technicians. Reasonable shop labor rate. My go to guy is Eric Westlund. Mid to late 30's and really sharp.

Jim
Indeed, you are one lucky son-of-a-gun. Can't imagine anything better than having a reliable reasonable Cat shop, unless it's a happy pashionate sexy wife to live with. The easiest to reach Freightliner shop (90 miles up the Interstate) has kept me waiting 5-6 hours twice now after the appointment time before even putting the coach into a stall, and the next door Cat shop charged me $450 for a 2-hour valve adjustment job.

Keep thanking your lucky stars.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just bought my rig, has a Cat C7, and I also read the forums to see what I may encounter with it. The thing you have to remember is noone posts that their Cat started and ran like it should. Folks post when they have a problem and are looking for some help, or they are frustrated.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #24

I would not say it's a time bomb because it was fine for 32,000 miles. It has been the last 4,000 miles that has cost me money and down time. It has been in the shop since Thanksgiving!!! The estimate was almost $14,000. and I am sure there will something missed on the estate.
Wingman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Just turned 88,000 miles and my fuel mileage has increased from 7.3 to8.3 mpg. And that is running at 65 to 75 mph ! This is great engine and has never had problem.
Chuck, with almost 90,000 miles on your C-7 Cat have you ever had the fan hub bearing replaced? Or has it gone out completely by this time?

How many C-7 owners are having this bearing replaced before it does go south on you and ruin things at the back end of the coach? I currently have 60,000 miles on my 2004 and getting more nervous every time I have it out on the road.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Chuck, with almost 90,000 miles on your C-7 Cat have you ever had the fan hub bearing replaced? Or has it gone out completely by this time?

How many C-7 owners are having this bearing replaced before it does go south on you and ruin things at the back end of the coach? I currently have 60,000 miles on my 2004 and getting more nervous every time I have it out on the road.
Never had the fan hub bearing replaced. Mine is the one without a gease fitting. The only problem I have ever had was an oil cooler leak at around 80.000 miles.
I do think I have had such few problems with the whole Motorhome is that I use it at least once a month as a minimum. They are designed to work, I think it is the sitting that kills them.
One other thing, with 50,000 plus people on this forum, percentage wise, very few report serious problems with anything. The ones that do have problems tend to freak the rest of us out.
I DO have an extended service policy with Good Sam in the event that something does go wrong. Is that a good idea ? Who knows, but I sleep very well !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #27

Thanks for that information Chuck. I use our coach for a couple of 7 day trips in the spring, a 6-8 week trip early in the summer, a 6-8 week trip in Sept-Oct and a 7-14 day trip later the last of Oct-Nov, which I'm on right now. My fan hub bearing is also the sealed non-greaseable one, which after reading some of the failures very early in mileage on the Forms, makes me very nervous while on the road.

I also have a break-down extended warranty hoping it will make traveling less nervous but from what I've read when that bearing goes out you're dead in the water right then as the fan will tear off the serpentine belt, rip up the radiater shroud, and possibly do considerable damage to the CAC.

Sounds like you've really had good luck with your coach. Since our 2004 Meridian was new it seems like every trip takes 2-3 repair jobs either on the trip, just before we leave, or immediately after returning home. All the way from a leaking washing machine (3 times) to broken window shade strings to a non-working entrance step to water heater not working (twice) to the rear camera going blank. These are besides the room extension not coming in and the leveling jacks not working (3 different times). None of these left us stranded, all just needed attention which I could handle. Would love just one trip with nothing happening - like one of the headlight brackets coming unglued on the first day of the trip a year ago.

Happy travels.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for that information Chuck. I use our coach for a couple of 7 day trips in the spring, a 6-8 week trip early in the summer, a 6-8 week trip in Sept-Oct and a 7-14 day trip later the last of Oct-Nov, which I'm on right now. My fan hub bearing is also the sealed non-greaseable one, which after reading some of the failures very early in mileage on the Forms, makes me very nervous while on the road.

I also have a break-down extended warranty hoping it will make traveling less nervous but from what I've read when that bearing goes out you're dead in the water right then as the fan will tear off the serpentine belt, rip up the radiater shroud, and possibly do considerable damage to the CAC.

Sounds like you've really had good luck with your coach. Since our 2004 Meridian was new it seems like every trip takes 2-3 repair jobs either on the trip, just before we leave, or immediately after returning home. All the way from a leaking washing machine (3 times) to broken window shade strings to a non-working entrance step to water heater not working (twice) to the rear camera going blank. These are besides the room extension not coming in and the leveling jacks not working (3 different times). None of these left us stranded, all just needed attention which I could handle. Would love just one trip with nothing happening - like one of the headlight brackets coming unglued on the first day of the trip a year ago.

Happy travels.
Hi wagonmaster 2,
I have had to re string two shades and re glue both headlight brackets. We don't have a washing machine. Other than those few things, You are the winner in annoying problems. It's a good thing you are handy ! As Bill Clinton has said." Ah can feel yer pain."
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat