Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2018, 12:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Is the PAC brake valve supposed to move.

With the engine off and cold, can anyone move their pac brake valve by hand? Mine does not move, and the braking from it is not impressive, especially considering the Jake compression release brake from my long past life. I'm thinking my valve is stuck and all I'm getting is downshift braking. What do you wise folks think?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2018, 02:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You should be able to move it against the spring with a screwdriver or pliers. Just checked mine and lubed it today.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #3

I think I've tried to move mine too while doing other maintenance in the area and, could not move it. But, it's always worked flawlessly each and every time I've needed it. I do keep it lubed on a quite often basis. I've even tried to loosen the air fitting on the back side of the piston so inject my home compressed air to the movement and, I can't break the fitting loose. I'll have to try again sometime. But, to answer your question, I've no experience in actually moving it when parked.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:29 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Mine was stuck open when I bought my truck, some advice from a member of the Freightliner RV haulers group told me to disconnect the air ram cylinder and you should be able to move it by hand, if not spray some lube on the shaft and get some plyers to move it back and forth, he also said to leave it on all the time so it gets used or it may get stuck again, there is a special lube to use on the shaft, I find keeping it on and moving and a spray of WD-40 works well
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, got the special lube, and have applied it per directions several times per year. I use the brake often, but don't leave it on because, as I remember, that results in too much downshifting for my liking.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:06 AM   #6

I can't move mine by hand, but I can move it using a pair of Vice Grips.

Here is a link to Exhaust Brake Maintenance Tips. Note all of the places they recommend using their oil:

https://pacbrake.com/wp-content/uplo...7/08/L5046.pdf
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #7

It should move very easily by hand with the cylinder disconnected.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
PAC Brake test Switch

I added a switch allowing me to test and exercise the brake.. sorry about the audio.. but diesels are noisy..

https://www.facebook.com/doug.bywate...3906877900483/
Old 04-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #9

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Pac-brake

If you disconnect the air hose to the pac-brake then you should be able to overcome the spring pressure and move the shaft from open to closed. If it will not move with moderate effort then use some rust buster on the shaft where it goes through the cast iron housing. Not wd40 it will burn and gum up from the heat. Treat both the top end of the shaft and the bottom end This is the most likely place for it to seize. If this does not work then take it out and do some bench work on it.
glenn allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I disconnected the air line, and was able to move the valve by prying with a big screwdriver. The spring is really strong, and pulls it back to open with a serious amount of force -- a lot more than I expected. But there is no binding, it is a smooth and very forceful operation. It will not move with the force of a bare human hand, the spring is too strong. I put a several drops of Pac Brake Lube in the cylinder while I had it open.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:20 AM   #11

Yes the spring tension....or is it spring compression(?) is strong.

Here is a web link to PacBrake maintenance instructions:

Maintenance | Pacbrake
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, valve