RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Is there a list of ECM updates for C12 and C13, showing what the update was for?

In another forum section, it was stated that there were several ECM updates required (or available) for the 2004 CAT heavy-duty engine (I assume it was the C12 the poster was referring to). I have a C13 and am interested to know if there are any ECM updates for that engine.

Is there a "list" that shows the ECM updates available/required for each engine type, and explaining what the update is for?

Like when computer software upgrades are done - and the upgrade lists the bug fixes or new features added, etc.

I'm not sure if my C13 has ever been updated. But I don't want to pay several hundred dollars to a CAT dealer to check (and upgrade) if the upgrade is only for a non-essential item.

CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Mike,

Since we have sibling engines, this may be helpful.

I've got an engine inspection report from August 2018, produced by Peterson Cat in Eugene, I think. The report shows an "ECM Date/Time" of "12/31/2037+". There is something called a "Personality Module", which is referenced several times, and its release date is December of 2006, which is a year or so after the engine was built. Maybe that's some sort of update date.

Anyway, if you want to see the report, give me a shout and I'll send it to you.

Good luck - and I'll be watching this thread for the same reasons you have.

Steve

2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #3

Ditto. I have the C13 as well. I look forward to learning what you find. Thx.
Jubilee 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks. I would like to see what you have.

Was the coach brought into CAT as part of a pre-purchase inspection or did you have some sort of problem?

Was anything updated while it was at CAT?

As I'm sure you know, there is a label on the engine front cover with the software version the engine shipped with.

Is a software code/version listed on the report you got from CAT (i.e. do you know what version of software your engine has now)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT Engine Data plate.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	256330  
Old 08-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #5

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Thanks. I would like to see what you have.

Was the coach brought into CAT as part of a pre-purchase inspection or did you have some sort of problem?

Was anything updated while it was at CAT?

As I'm sure you know, there is a label on the engine front cover with the software version the engine shipped with.

Is a software code/version listed on the report you got from CAT (i.e. do you know what version of software your engine has now)?
PM me and I'll be glad to e-mail or text the report.

The previous owner had radiator issues and experienced some overheating. That's part of the invoice so I can assume he just had the CAT shop plug in and pull the data while he was there. There's no invoice line for ECM updates, so I don't think he got one. And the whole invoice was $150.

There's no info on the report about the ECM version currently being used. That might involve a different data pull.

I'll shoot a picture of the engine sticker when I get home. I'm curious about the software version is shipped with. My serial # is KCB12XXX so I might even have an '04 engine in there.

Steve
Old 08-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I would be hesitant to update your c-13 ECM software unless there is a compelling reason to do so like injector or ECM failure. The folks I have talked to complain about poor fuel mileage after the update.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #7
Cat

Quote:
In another forum section, it was stated that there were several ECM updates required (or available) for the 2004 CAT heavy-duty engine (I assume it was the C12 the poster was referring to). I have a C13 and am interested to know if there are any ECM updates for that engine.

Is there a "list" that shows the ECM updates available/required for each engine type, and explaining what the update is for?

Like when computer software upgrades are done - and the upgrade lists the bug fixes or new features added, etc.

I'm not sure if my C13 has ever been updated. But I don't want to pay several hundred dollars to a CAT dealer to check (and upgrade) if the upgrade is only for a non-essential item.
Short answer is no. They give you the update number but very seldom tell you what the change is. Occasionally a service magazine will say such and such ecm update xxx-xxx will improve this. If you are not having any issues then no sense in updating. But if you want to know give me your serial number and I'll give you a list of the ecm flashfile updates Safety Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks CAT.
My serial number is in the photo above (KCB21404).

Is there a way to see what software version my ECM is using now (using my ScanGauge D) or do I need to pay CAT Dealer to read the software version? I don't know if previous owner had any updates done (if there where any).
Old 08-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #9

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Short answer is no. If you are not having any issues then no sense in updating.
Since Mike started this thread I've been reading the same thing. Some folks are getting worse (!) fuel mileage after flashing their big Cs - and they didn't really have any issues to start with.

Steve
Old 08-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not having any issues - but I still want to know what version I have, and if there is a newer version (and what it fixes/does).But I do agree with you "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

I read that one should have all the programming copied and saved (to USB drive or such) in case a replacement ECM is ever needed.

If you don't have a copy of the programming (and the old ECM can't be read by CAT dealer) then it much more difficult (and expensive) to install and program the new ECM. So it may be worth having programming copied the next time coach is at dealer for some work.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #11
Cat

• Quote:
    Thanks CAT.
    My serial number is in the photo above (KCB21404).

Is there a way to see what software version my ECM is using now (using my ScanGauge D) or do I need to pay CAT Dealer to read the software version? I don't know if previous owner had any updates done (if there where any).
    I'm not familiar with scangauge so i'm not sure you can pull up the personality module number- same as flashfile.
    here are the updates. your engine shipped with 259 8897. the latest is 341 1502. I show your engine was worked several years ago but it doesn't show any software updates. But there could have been. Its very difficult to update to a later/new software and then go back to a older one. In fact it almost impossible due to emissions-- safe travels
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2019, 04:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for looking that info up.
So 11 updates - that's a lot of changes. I doubt Cat would would just make updates for the fun of it. Something must have been needed. If it was just for improving emissions I'm not worried about it - but if any of the updates improved fuel economy or engine longevity, performance, etc. then it would be worth doing an update.
But like others have said - probably best not to mess with it as I have no problems with engine now.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #13
Cat

Normally if it is a significant change a Service Letter or a TIB is issued stating that the software needs to be updated. Any improvement in mileage or power would be small. Normally the changes are sensor errors or sensitivey.

Tags
ecm