Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Jake brake and transmission??

We test drove a 2000 CC Magna with Cat C10

One thing I was surprised at was the lack of aggressiveness of the Jake brake. When on high (setting three), the transmission would downshift to 4th and some braking would occur. On setting 1 or 2 I could tell little affect on braking. Your thoughts?

I was told the Cat/Allison could be re-programed to downshift the tranny to 3ed on high, setting three, which would also result in some change in setting 1 and 2. I am trying to read up on Jake brakes and understand the relationship between engine and transmission. Any help??

Finally, the engine has 37,000 miles and they are going to do a valve adjustment and engine service this week. Will the valve adjustment make any difference in how the Jake performs??

Thank you for your help.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Yes you can change your settings. Mine is set for 2nd. gear when the Jake is activated. One thing you might look at, is you valve closing all the way? I had this problem at 26,000 miles and had to replace the valve and valve body. Just a thought.

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #3

For clarification are we talking Jake Brake or exhaust brake? Very different devices.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
1ciderdog

I understand that the 2000 Magna has a three position Jake brake.

OneRVer, What did it cost to replace the valve and valve body?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
For clarification are we talking Jake Brake or exhaust brake? Very different devices.
Bob
Not to split hairs, but the two different designs are an engine brake and an exhaust brake. Jacobs Vehicle Systems builds both and markets both (yes, including their exhaust brake) under the Jake Brake moniker - the Jacobs exhaust brake for my 2002 Dodge came with a genuine "Jake Brake" Jacobs/MOPAR exhaust brake decal.

I realize that common usage is to interchange the engine brake and Jake Brake terms, but Jacobs does not appear to support such a clear distinction.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by P7rancher View Post
1ciderdog

I understand that the 2000 Magna has a three position Jake brake.

OneRVer, What did it cost to replace the valve and valve body?

Thanks
Seem the total was around $800.00 installed. But that has been 4 years ago and I am lucky to remember what I had for dinner. I do remember that it was cheaper then I expected.

My paper work is in the motor home and the motor home is in the shop getting a new radiator and valve adjustment. When I get it home I will look it up for you and let you know exactly what it cost.

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote