Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #1

MP-8?

Finally got around to installing the MP-8 I bought a couple months ago. Disconnected chassis batteries, turned off house batteries. Solar charger still hooked up. It's a built-in Winnebago feature, and doesn't have an obvious on/off switch. but is hard wired into the system. Plugged MP-8 into what appear to be the correct plugs, although the MP-8 instructions were somewhat vague, and don't tell or show much.

Buttoned it up, and went for a test drive. Climbing a particularly steep hill, with the system "off", the coach slowed to 37 mph. Turned the knob half way, and the coach slowed to 37 mph. Turned the knob all the way, and the coach slowed to: 37 mph. Zero change. Zip. Nothing.

I'm assuming the knob operates conventionally; as in full left is off and turning the knob right increases. Have to guess, because it's not marked at all, nor do the instructions address this. Regardless, according to GPS & speedometer, on the same hill, there was no improvement.

I'm hoping I installed it properly, because the printed instructions are inconsistent. The photo has handwritten on it to plug into the wiring harness, but the narrative says to plug it into the sensors on the engine block.

Thoughts or help on this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #2

That's not good, I never did that kind of test on a hill and speed but I had mine tested at the dyno and there is a difference a big difference.
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
Do a search on MP 8 there are some good photos posted that I saw before
Old 03-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Just make sure that the color codes of the wires on the plugs match that of the motor. Make sure you get the plugs in the MP8 unit and it should work. Mine made a big difference on hills. Pull neg side of batteries to the chassis. And try again. If this fails call support.

LEN
Old 03-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have to shim the fuel rail plug? deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
My MP-8 makes a significant difference in power and going up grades. As I remember from when I installed there are only two plugs with that unique shape. Could you have reversed the plugs? The diagrams were not easy to follow. Another suggestion would be to disconnect the batteries again - you might disconnect all wires on both the chassis batteries and the house batteries then you would know for sure the battery power has been disconnected.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #7

It's really annoying when a product has such poor manuals, or doesn't work properly right out of the box. Like the TTST tire pressure monitor system I bought that has never worked properly.

Unlike the retired guys, I only have a limited amount of time to devote to these projects. Now, I get to wait til Monday, try to contact the manufacturer from my office, probably have them tell me to do what I've already done, and go home and continue to work on it when I should be using the time to prep our race cars.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I'm not sure if you purchased through us but we could help if you like!
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #9

Thank you, Jon. I WISH I had purchased from you. Next time for sure!

The instructions are pretty vague, but I plugged it into the MAP sensor, and what I think is the IAC (?) sensor, which is about three inches away (towards rear of coach). Both sensors on top of the head, alongside the valve cover, fairly abeam the intake. Both triangular plugs directly on their respective sensors. The TS performance diagram provided for the '99-'05 3126 does not look like my 2001 build motor. Their diagram shows the IAC sensor considerably farther away, and the MP-8 plugging into a harness, not right on the sensors.

Chassis batteries disconnected, house batteries turned off. Solar charger on, BIRD on.

Test run: No difference felt at any time. Used substantial test hill, with MP-8 off, on 1/2, on full. no difference; coach slowed to 37 mph each run up the hill.

Called TS Perf, they said to send it in. Ideas? And thanks again, as a fellow small business owner, you're assistance is noteworthy.

Ed
Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Well it sounds like you have it hooked up correctly, I was always go by wire color in the instructions since there is a few of the same style connectors back there. Unfortunately there are some engines out there that just do not get the improvement that others do with the MP8 and I don't honestly know quite why. If your connectors prove to be hooked up correctly I would take them up on their offer to check out your module, could be the wrong programming or they just need to turn it up some more for your particular engine. They are good guys at taking care of warranty and if you have any issues just let me know.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #11

Thanks. We'll give you a buzz when we're ready for the air bag valves.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Thanks. We'll give you a buzz when we're ready for the air bag valves.
I really like my MCU's ( motion control units). Made a big difference in my how my coach rides.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Korry just to clarify so there isn't confusion, our brand of valves are called Comfort Ride Control Valves and SuperSteer's version are called Motion Control Units.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry for the confusion I may have caused. Fixed my signature line. Still love the ride the I received after having the Comfort Ride Control Valves installed.