Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MP8 performance module for 2005 C7

I was looking at an add on this website for a module for a c-7 called an MP8. it says up to 30% increase in horse power with no increase in exhaust temp. I have an 04 chassi in a 2005 Journey, has anyone used this module?
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 06:52 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryKosel View Post
I was looking at an add on this website for a module for a c-7 called an MP8. it says up to 30% increase in horse power with no increase in exhaust temp. I have an 04 chassi in a 2005 Journey, has anyone used this module?
I have one and does seem to increase horse power BUT it also increases exhaust temp. I have a exhaust temp gauge installed and I am certain it increases exhaust temp at high RPMs when under load - at least it does on my RV. (That said I had to have my C7 replaced because it dropped a valve and destroyed one cylinder and don't want to use the MP8 while the engine is under warranty so am considering selling it if you or anyone else may be interested)
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
c-7

thanks for the info. did you get any better fuel economy.
inlineskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are numerous threads about how sometimes the MP8 will work on some C-7's while it won't work on others. Give Alan a call @ Brazel's http://www.brazelsrv.com and he will discuss the issues.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryKosel View Post
thanks for the info. did you get any better fuel economy.

No better fuel economy that I could tell. But I don't see better economy when the economy mode is selected on the transmission either. Maybe my driving habit does not allow for improved economy.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I have one and does seem to increase horse power BUT it also increases exhaust temp. I have a exhaust temp gauge installed and I am certain it increases exhaust temp at high RPMs when under load - at least it does on my RV. (That said I had to have my C7 replaced because it dropped a valve and destroyed one cylinder and don't want to use the MP8 while the engine is under warranty so am considering selling it if you or anyone else may be interested)
What would your EGT's run at on flat ground versus hills?
rver98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #7

I too am interested in what you saw for temps. I have a C-9 that runs 800-1000 flat and level. In the hills and mountains, it has been to 1400.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rver98 View Post
What would your EGT's run at on flat ground versus hills?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
I too am interested in what you saw for temps. I have a C-9 that runs 800-1000 flat and level. In the hills and mountains, it has been to 1400.
I don't pay much attention to the EGT on flat grounds but probably about the same as above. On hills it I back off the throttle at 1300 and shift down as speed permits. On long steep grades I may be doing 45 or so in 4th gear to keep the EGT under 1300. It seems I don't get the high temps if I am not towing.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for your reply. I spoke with someone a while back on this forum and he directed me towards getting the factory specs on my motor home when it was new a tested. Interesting how 1300 degrees was normal throughout the bandwidth from the factory.
rver98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #10

I appreciate your reply too, 1ciderdog. I get nervous when I see 1300, but it doesn't see to matter to, much, the water temperature still holds at 190. I know that doesn't mean much, these engines seem to have all kinds of cooling. I am very interested/have been interested in methanol injection. My other MH, didn't have any place to put a bottle, but this coach does.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #11

Module

Been there done that with my c15. No improved mileage several related electrical problems from new wiring harness after 8000 miles. Would not do it again ! Just my two cents
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:52 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have one on my ‘05 and it has worked well for me. I installed an EGT gauge after reading the warnings of higher EGT’s. I initially thought the MP-8 was increasing my temps by about 100F degrees. But, on my last trip to Utah where I did some extensive hill climbing, I played around with the MP-8's power gain knob and watched the EGT gauge more closely. I saw no marked increase in EGT’s between full gain and zero gain. My EGT gauge only measures in 100F degree increments, so if there was an increase, it was minimal. These are just my own personal findings, I have read where others have experienced a noticeable increase.

No change in MPG, but I didn't buy it for that.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #13

Any kind of uprating and you have to keep a CLOSE eye on EGT's when pulling hills. You lug her up a hill & the EGT's will sky rocket! Prior coach was a 93 Pace Arrow with the Cummins 8.3l 250HP Turbo diesel. Prior owner uprated, I installed a pyrometer AND boost gauge. Isspro Turbocator, it shows BOTH boost & EGT on the same gauge.
I think if I did it all over again I would NOT have uprated. Too much to keep an eye on.
As long as you keep the RPM's up you where OK but you have to remember this EVERY time you pull a long hill!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #14

mchero, can I ask, what kind of temps are you pulling? As I said before, my engine, runs to 1400 degrees with out much provocation.

Dale