Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2017, 08:28 PM   #29
Cat

Cannot bore engine. Engine will have to have the old bore cut out and a sleeve pressed in then a torque plate bolted to top of block the pressed in the sleeved would be then be bored to correct size for piston. Not an easy process. Have never seen it done inframe, to many tolerances to be held while cutting the old bore out--- has to parallel to block- in line with crankshaft. So block has to be stripped down and placed on top of a boring machine. Sorry.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If you find an independent that says he can do it in frame, do not expect a long life from the repair. It must be done properly to last. Sorry, but that is just the reality of these rigs!
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:26 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Before you get to carried away there are people who have a portable boring machine that may be able to bore the engine in place.
I know this idea has already been dismissed, but I'm curious as to how much clearance you have with the engine installed in your coach to consider/suggest this option.

On my coach (DP) there is only about 6 inches between top of valve cover and coach body, which would only give you about 18 inches of clearance if head was removed. Not enough room to do much. I assume most DP are about the same.

There are two hatches for access, but even with these there is not a continuous open area to work through.

Good luck
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:46 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I know this idea has already been dismissed, but I'm curious as to how much clearance you have with the engine installed in your coach to consider/suggest this option.

On my coach (DP) there is only about 6 inches between top of valve cover and coach body, which would only give you about 18 inches of clearance if head was removed. Not enough room to do much. I assume most DP are about the same.

There are two hatches for access, but even with these there is not a continuous open area to work through.

Good luck

Mine is wide open above. And i can stand around the engine in all sided too
Old 12-31-2017, 10:58 AM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It would depend on the manufacture as all coaches are different in how much clearance they have.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #34

Well so ive been told this block is too weak to bore in frame, the machine shop is forcing me to do all 6 cylinders, they claim the others will become distorted. So saturday it is coming out, and monday its going to the machine shop. I still plan on re-using the 5 good pistons, but i am going to put all new lower end bearings in. And re-ring.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #35
Cat

I understand trying to keep costs down, but there are exchange short blocks available from CAT, and exchange long blocks as well as a complete exchange engines. Have you checked to see the costs in on those components? In the past they were fairly reasonable in cost and had warranties available. Check different CAT dealers for pricing they are not all the same.
If you decide not to use exchange components at least you know what the costs would have been.
FYI Also sleeved engines used a slightly different head gasket.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #36

Yes, I am biased, having retired from Jasper Engines after 25 years. If you want the "Cadillac" go with them...I was in the warranty department at first and we take care of our customers...and it has only gotten better.....If you need help with installer etc., PM me and I will offer any assistance I can...
Old 01-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
When I worked for a municipal fleet, weh used Jasper engines and transmissions a lot. Even though most of the mechanics were capable of doing a rebuild (less machine shop work) we found the warranty and time saved justified the price of going with Jasper.

The only problem is that you have be a Shop to buy one (they don't sell directly to public) - which is probably necessary to ensure the engine/trans is installed correctly since they have such a long warranty.

If there is a way to get a Shop to make the purchase for you (for some small fee) and you do the install, it would be better than the CAT rebuilt with practically no warranty. IMO.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:18 AM   #38

Yes, they sale to the public. Where are you located? They also have a complete installation facility too. They do have "preferred installers" in most Cities throughout the US.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:08 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagn View Post
Yes, they sale to the public. Where are you located? They also have a complete installation facility too. They do have "preferred installers" in most Cities throughout the US.
I suppose I'm wrong about this then.
I never tried to purchase from Jasper myself - but looking at the Jasper site I was under the impression you had to go through a Shop based on this statement:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jasper.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	187818  
Old 01-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #40

Long block 7500$, i will have around 3500 into rebuilding mine. Used engine is also about 7500. I do not really want to spend the 7500$, if this motor blows again maybe i will conveniently park it under a tree that is getting rotten haha
Old 01-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinwaste View Post
Long block 7500$, i will have around 3500 into rebuilding mine. Used engine is also about 7500. I do not really want to spend the 7500$, if this motor blows again maybe i will conveniently park it under a tree that is getting rotten haha
Tried that and tree fell the wrong way. Hah,hah.

Didn't actually do that, but the last wind storm we had took the tops, 30'-50' long, out of two big cedar trees and dropped them on either side of the MH and totally missed it. Not a scratch. One was big enuff to total it.

I'm still following this as I still need to get another engine.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:38 PM   #42

Well got the motor out today, tomorrow we will disassemble. Used 8” blocks under rear leveler jack, ran jacks up all the way then blocked under rv for added safety. Motor fit out by about 3” clearance under the rear hitch. Made a cheap cradle, put forklift tube thru rear hole and attached motor then lowered to ground before lifting rv way up, then used forklift to drag whole works out, tranny had 0 mounts on it. It is literally only attached to bell housing and driveshaft so that had to come out too. Ill try n attach some pics of the progress so far.

Tags
engine