Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #1

Need correct fuel filter part#???

Freightliner is frustrating me with the correct part # for my fuel water seperator( secondary chassis mounted). My MH is a 2005 Bounder with a C7. They claim it should be an Alliance ABPN122R50418 and 30 Micron. I just bought this Motrohome and it uses a Wix 33405. A 33783, 10 Micron, has also been used. The Alliance filter would never fit the filter holder. My filter has a gasket outer dia. of 2.81 and the Alliance is 3/4 of an inch larger. My gasket is 2.81 outer dia and the alliance is almost 4 inches. I spoke with FL 3 times today. Even called Fleetood and they called FL. Same info. I doubt that anyone ever changed the filter plate. Freightliner said that using a 15 Micron filter could cause fuel restrictions. When I cross that FL # to any filter mfr. it is not even listed as being used on a C7. I could do some research and try and find a 30 micron that would fit my plate. I suppose I could also buy a new filter plate that would take that large filter?? Any suggestions. Maybe someone else with a 2005 XC chassis and a 300 HP C7 can tell me what they use.

Thanks

moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Both the wix numbers are a water/fuel filter.
I am surprised there is not another one in line.
On mine I have a 10 micron water/fuel and the final one is a 2 micron straight
fuel filter.
But my engine is much older.

wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I just checked and if you only have one filter it must be a 2 micron filter.
If you have two the water/fuel can be a 10 or 30 micron but the main filter
has to be 2 micron.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #4

Moisheh

I do not have a Bounder but do have a MH with a Freightliner XC Chassis and a Cat C-7 engine. The WIX 33405 cross references with a NAPA 3405. These are 12 micron filters with a Fuel/Water Separator. From what I have seen these filter types are normally in the primary position and the secondary is a 2 micron filter such as a CAT 1R-0750. I run a 30 micron filter, with a fuel/water separator, in the primary position and a 2 micron filter in the secondary position.

The secondary is normally on the engine the primary at the rear near the radiator. I am only familiar with a 2 stage filtering system. Perhaps you could clarify whether you have a one stage or two stage system.

Gary
Gary D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are talking about the fuel filter by the radiator, that is a 2 Micron filter Cat # IR 1807.
It should have a clear plastic water separator screwed to the bottom of the filter. Call Cat to confirm the filter number. However that is the one I use.
I only use Cat parts so that if the whole engine comes unglued, my service warranty folks won't have an ah ha they can throw at me!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #6

I think I may have confused everyone including myself. The poster who repl,ied with the 2004: Your unit came from the factory with one 2 Micron filter .Starting in 05 Freightliner started to install 2 filters. The primary filter is 30 microns and is a fuel filter water seperator. It is mounted on the right side behind the mudflap and close to the rads. Easily changed from underneath. That is the one I am having trouble finding. The seconday filter is the one under the bed on top of the engine. It is 2 microns. The Pimary stops the big stuff and the primary stops the min ute particles. My problem was that the Allinace part # was not what the PO used. I have his service records for the last 4 years and everyone used a small filter with about 10 microns. I crawled underneath and quickly discoverd that the mounting plate was large enough to take the Alliance filter. All of those shops have been installing the wrong filters. These shops included La Mesa RV and a mega Cat dealer! I just assumed they had the correct part 3. I WAS WRONG! BTW.If you cross the Alliance number to Wix ( NAPA and many other parts stores) you will get a filter with the wrong micron rating! Fleetguard and Donaldson do have the correct filter. One should also be aware that Donaldson and Fleetguard offer an upgraded oil filter that does a better job. I used to use Cat filters on a Cat but Cat no longer makes a lot of their own filters. They look like Wix. The old Cat filters were awesome. Well engineered with heavy cans. Not now. Tha is my filter saga for today!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Moisheh,
When I bought my present MH I found the owner was using what ever would fit
for a water/fuel seperator filter.
It appeared the service shops he used just replaced what was there, it now is back
to what it should have been all along.
As too oil filters I use a 5 micron and got away from the 12 and 20 micron ones
but that is just me.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Chuck 1935, I know you aren't responsible for typo's but I think you have one, so I am not holding you responsible, just informing other viewers. You ref. the fuel filter as a 1R- 1807. That is actually the oil filter. The fuel filter my CAT calls for is the Alliance(yellow) 122-32FRT01 (I wish I knew what all those numbers and letters meant) which is the combo fuel filter and water separator with the plastic bowl on the bottom.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Doorguy
YOU ARE CORRECT SIR !! The 2 micron Alliance FUEL filter is ABP/N122-32FRT03. The fuel bowl kit is RK30051.
Even though I take the 5th, I DO like to give the correct information.
I always pre fill the filter with a brand new quart of transmission oil. Why transmission oil ? Simple, it's clean, it works, and I don' have any diesel fuel laying around that I know is as clean as an unopened quart of transmission oil.
Chuck

Thank you for catching it..
Chuck
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #10

Well Gang,
With all this talk about filters, microns, part numbers etc. I had to go and check the filter I just installed after-which, I had the bad experience of a "no start" condition due to installation of a "dry" filter due to, what I was instructed by the CAT owners manual I have at the time.

Well, most of you have read, I (we, the wife and I) finally got it started and all has been well since. But, in reading these posts about the the filter numbers, microns etc. I re-checked the part number of the filter I installed. Now, this filter has presently, about 5 miles on it due to the fact that I installed it and then went and got fuel. But, it's an old, WIX part number of 33441. Well, that part number no longer exists. When I installed a fuel filter a year ago, I ordered, from: Filterbarn.com, a Wix 33441 which, included the bowl. I got it for $11.00 and, $10.00 shipping. So, I thought $21.00 was a great deal since, I just paid over $70.00 for the two components, filter from a local Freightliner center and the bowl from a local CAT service center.

Well, now we're at present and, the filter I had kept on the rig for emergency change-out, if and when I should ever need it, is now installed. But, what I just found out, during the research AFTER reading this thread is that, the 33441 is a 30 MICRON filter. And, I only have ONE FILTER ON THIS COACH! So, while I hate to throw away good stuff, I will not sacrifice a $10,000 motor for an $11.00 brand new filter due to the improper micron rating.

So, back to the Internet and, searching. What I found was, a list of filters that are cross referenced to the WIX part number 33783, which is a "2 micron" rating, not a 10 micron rating that the OP stated in his first post. I confirmed this by looking on two different i-net filter cross reference charts which also give micron ratings for the particular filter you're looking at and, I also called the local Carquest Auto parts and had there people look up that WIX 33783 and they confirm, it's a "2-micron".

So, since I had purchased a 33783 to have an emergency fuel change filter, I will immediately replace the 33441 with the back-up, 33873 and order up another backup-33873. Whew, that's a lot of numbers.

I'd been not paying attension to this thread 'cause I thought it had nothing to do with me or what I've been doing lately and therefore I had nothing to contribute to it. But, sure glad I read it and it caused me to go out and re-check my recently installed fuel filter part number. And, the serious point here is, we're leaving on a trip from San Diego to Texas and points beyond, FRIDAY MORNING!!!! That would have been a few hundred gallons of "30 micron" fuel cruising on through that HEUI pump and those seriously high pressure injectors, yuck.

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Fire up,
Where do you get these $10,000.00 diesel motors? That a great deal. ha ha
Old 04-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #12

Fure Up: Glad it all worked out. I was a parts man in my youth and one of my friends was a Filter rep for a major mfr. This has made me paranoid about oil filters and fuel as well. I will not use anything other than OEM ( Cat in this case), Donaldson or Fleetguard. Actually in many cases Cat does not make the filters . They are either Donaldson or something else! The crossovers from these 2 companies are usually 100% correct. All of them, even Wix, have web sites where you can input the filter # and get the actual specs including micron rating.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #13

FYI: I just took a quick look at my data sheet:

On my 2004 CAT I have used the following filters:

Fuel: Alliance ABP N122 32FRT03;

Don't know if this was oil or fuel: Napagold 1791

Oil: Alliance ABP N10G LF 667; CAT 1R-0739; Donalson 554004

Air drier:
HDXDQ6026
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Fire up,
Where do you get these $10,000.00 diesel motors? That a great deal. ha ha
wb7auk,
That was a figure off the top of my empty head. I'm always thinking about just what something might cost, without paying for installation etc. So, I was just guessing.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Fure Up: Glad it all worked out. I was a parts man in my youth and one of my friends was a Filter rep for a major mfr. This has made me paranoid about oil filters and fuel as well. I will not use anything other than OEM ( Cat in this case), Donaldson or Fleetguard. Actually in many cases Cat does not make the filters . They are either Donaldson or something else! The crossovers from these 2 companies are usually 100% correct. All of them, even Wix, have web sites where you can input the filter # and get the actual specs including micron rating.
Moisheh,
What's amazing is, without the Internet, a lot of this information would be darn near impossible to get. I mean, it's really great that you can sit in the comfort of your own home, cruise the net, and find out,without calling a dozen, over worked, under paid, parts counter people and find out important stuff. So, I didn't mean to counter you on your quote on the "10 vs 2" micron on the filter in question. When doing my research, I came up with that number and remembered you mentioned it in your first post. And, when looking up the micron ratings for as many cross referenced filters as I could find, for the one that I mistakenly installed that was a 30 micron (on a single stage filtering system), I ran that number and it came out as "2" microns but, you stated it was a 10, hmmmm. So, I pursued it further.

So, I'm using that one at this time.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel