Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #71

Aganit, good for you! Santa came early. I find what you state they did a bit odd. Iv'e had IAP sensor's cause "surging" issues but never witnessed a turbo or idle setting to cause this. Did they re-flash your ECM? Maybe member Cat can ring in on this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #72
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by discovery39s View Post
Aganit, good for you! Santa came early. I find what you state they did a bit odd. Iv'e had IAP sensor's cause "surging" issues but never witnessed a turbo or idle setting to cause this. Did they re-flash your ECM? Maybe member Cat can ring in on this.
Yep the IAP or a sticking actuation solenoid can cause a surge, not sure why at low idle or when coming to a stop. But the cleaning of the turbo and readjusting low idle not sure why that would change anything, but I don't know how to clean a turbo while its installed, other than a surface cleaning of the compressor wheel. Oh well, its running good and that's good. LOL Merry Christmas and Safe Travels.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey cat View Post
Mind if I ask , as to how one cleans the turbo ? One thought i have would be break clean or similar to clean the blades ?
There is an inspection procedure in the CAT workshop manual on how to inspect and clean the turbo, the cleaning part deal with the oil lines, if they get clogged. I recently inspected my turbo because i was looking for an oil leak. it had some carbon dust on the exhaust side fins but it was light, no oil residue. So I am an not sure you would want to dump a solvent in there.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:48 PM   #74

Cat, that is my quick 5 minute diagnoses on "surge" issues. Unplug the IAP. If the surging ceases then replace it.If not, then I go to the solenoid (most of the time it's a hi impedance on the coil connector contacts). Most of the time it's either or. I have a spare IAP at all times in my on coach. $160.00 is cheap insurance when your on the road!
All in all, I find the Cat system pretty simple to diagnose in comparison to other's designs.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Folks, like what happened when Jesus healed the blind man i dont know how, i only know that the thing was tore up and now it ain't. Whatever they said they did is ok with me, i wish i could be more helpful to this site by explaining everything in vivid detail but i simply don't know. I am an old retired air conditioning contractor of 35 years business ownership and have been retired so long have almost forgot all that.
My wife and I love you folks on this site,and hope you have a wonderful Christmas.
Aganit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
There is an inspection procedure in the CAT workshop manual on how to inspect and clean the turbo, the cleaning part deal with the oil lines, if they get clogged. I recently inspected my turbo because i was looking for an oil leak. it had some carbon dust on the exhaust side fins but it was light, no oil residue. So I am an not sure you would want to dump a solvent in there.
Well curiouity has got the cat .
Im going to have to take a look at mine while im in there doing other work .
I have looked at a few videos , and yes if one wants to clean one . You will have to take it apart to do it correct .
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #77
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganit View Post
Folks, like what happened when Jesus healed the blind man i dont know how, i only know that the thing was tore up and now it ain't. Whatever they said they did is ok with me, i wish i could be more helpful to this site by explaining everything in vivid detail but i simply don't know. I am an old retired air conditioning contractor of 35 years business ownership and have been retired so long have almost forgot all that.
My wife and I love you folks on this site,and hope you have a wonderful Christmas.
Its running good that's the important thing😊 Merry Christmas and Safe Travels
Old 12-23-2018, 03:57 PM   #78

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer6 View Post
Wow...$1600 for a filter kit? At that price I would assume it is fitted to an oil line that contains high-pressure oil from the HEUI to the injectors, and not the low-pressure oil from the engine providing the oil supply to the HEUI. If this is true, the filter must be to protect the downstream fuel injection system, perhaps from shards resulting from an HEUI pump failure, and obviously would not help longevity of the HEUI pump? Of course, I'm just musing and obviously I don't know, but for that money plus $1300 labor, it's got to be more exotic than the normal, everyday in-line oil filter.
I'm guess that the kit can be copied with parts from a variety of manufactures and with installing it yourself, the savings will be significant.
So now, what's the diff between putting one on a C7 and a C9, for example?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #79
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I'm guess that the kit can be copied with parts from a variety of manufactures and with installing it yourself, the savings will be significant.
So now, what's the diff between putting one on a C7 and a C9, for example?
See post 46 total parts is like $200.00. The kit price of 1600 includes a HEUI pump. Merry Christmas Safe Travels!!
Old 12-23-2018, 04:14 PM   #80
Cat

For a C9 you could use the filter but you have to make your own hoses for the inlet to the filter and from inline filter to HEUI.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
See post 46 total parts is like $200.00. The kit price of 1600 includes a HEUI pump. Merry Christmas Safe Travels!!
Well, that certainly helps, as those pumps aren't cheap...
Old 12-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #82

Quote:
For a C9 you could use the filter but you have to make your own hoses for the inlet to the filter and from inline filter to HEUI.
Any reason why one couldn't do that?
So this thing goes in between the lift pump and the HUEI, where there is none now and with the Primary and Secondary filters being between the Lift pump and the tank?
Did you not mention before about the HEUI failures not being so much of a problem, in the C9 and maybe why they only have this kit available for the C7?
Old 12-24-2018, 11:14 PM   #83
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Any reason why one couldn't do that?
So this thing goes in between the lift pump and the HUEI, where there is none now and with the Primary and Secondary filters being between the Lift pump and the tank?
Did you not mention before about the HEUI failures not being so much of a problem, in the C9 and maybe why they only have this kit available for the C7?
The term lift pump implies fuel as does the terms Primary and Secondary filter. This filter is a inline oil filter. It goes in the line from the main engine oil galley to the HEUI pump. There were HEUI failures on the C9 engine also but I do not know the failure rates of C7 versus C9. Just an opinion the C7 had a higher failure rate than the C9. The failures were worse in some applications than others. The C9 HEUI had a very failure rate in compactors.
Have a Merry Christmas- Safe Travels.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #84

Quote:
The term lift pump implies fuel as does the terms Primary and Secondary filter. This filter is a inline oil filter. It goes in the line from the main engine oil galley to the HEUI pump. There were HEUI failures on the C9 engine also but I do not know the failure rates of C7 versus C9. Just an opinion the C7 had a higher failure rate than the C9. The failures were worse in some applications than others. The C9 HEUI had a very failure rate in compactors.
Have a Merry Christmas- Safe Travels.
Well, that certainly clears that up and don't know why I had my head wrapped around another filter for the fuel. So, this is the answer to the possibility of dirty oil and maybe not having to change it so often, or so it seems.
Merry Christmas and safe travels to you and yours, as well!