Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #1

new to me Beaver

I am new to the forum too, just bought a used 40' Beaver Patriot with a 330HP cat. and was wondering if this engine will have enough power for this rig? also wondering if a $2775 extended warranty for 1 year is a good deal or not ? the cat has 49000 miles on it now. I have to let the dealer know about taking the warranty or not by tomorrow
LDP243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
My opinion for what it's worth. The Cat 330 is good enough for a 40 foot motor home. That's what I have and it serves me well. But I am not in a race to be the first at the top of a long hill. In my opinion $2775 is way to much for a one year warranty (service contract or what ever you want to call it). Don't get a service (etc.) contract from the selling dealer - contact Good Sam or one of the other businesses that sell extended warranties and you'll save money.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What year model.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #4

I have a 330 cat in a Newmar Dutchstar 3852 with 69000 miles. Gvw is 31000#. I usually weigh about 27000 to 28000 fully loaded for our needs. It has plenty of power relatively speaking. If you want fast get a vette or Porsche turbo, LOL. Mine has averaged 7.4 mpg over the 69000 miles with a Silverleaf. My mpg seems to be improving. Seems it takes 60000 miles to break in the engine. A Beaver is a well made high end coach. You will enjoy it. Safe Travels!
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #5

THIS IS A 1998 year model, and for the 2775 they are supposed to do a step by step check and service of the whole thing. all the oil and filters changed on the cat and also on the gen. I would think they have already done a fair job of inspecting it before they tried to sell it.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
First I question a 1998 Cat rated at 330 hp and you sure it is not 300 hp?
As to warranty what is covered?
If it was like my first warranty which I might add cost more it covered bumper to
bumper everything and I mean everything.
Being a used unit and I bet no history on it you run the risk of a major outlay if
you find engine, transmission and or other problems.
Say the engine packs it's self up that is in the ball park of 20,000.00, the
transmission goes out and that is around 15,000.00 .
I purchase a warranty for the first year so that I could find out what things were
done and time to have the coach check out so I had a base line to work from.
And I took the unit to someone not connect to the dealer to have it gone through
which found problems the dealer claimed they had taken care of.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
2,775 price sounds more like a major service price.
To change all fluids and filters and lube with a bumper to bumper major inspection
will be very close to that price.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
First I question a 1998 Cat rated at 330 hp and you sure it is not 300 hp?
As to warranty what is covered?
If it was like my first warranty which I might add cost more it covered bumper to
bumper everything and I mean everything.
Being a used unit and I bet no history on it you run the risk of a major outlay if
you find engine, transmission and or other problems.
Say the engine packs it's self up that is in the ball park of 20,000.00, the
transmission goes out and that is around 15,000.00 .
I purchase a warranty for the first year so that I could find out what things were
done and time to have the coach check out so I had a base line to work from.
And I took the unit to someone not connect to the dealer to have it gone through
which found problems the dealer claimed they had taken care of.
double checked with the dealer- the change went from change to check and the service policy is from Interstate it is the Platinum Plus . AS FAR AS THE 330 VS 300 HP Cat . the NDA BOOK and Catapillar both list a 330 HP for 1998 and the dealer's add clearly states it has the 330 HP Cat in it . I will check that out when they make delivery
Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I was jerking your chain on the HP most just make the claim on the factory
dyno when new.
But does the warranty / what ever cover the whole drive train and chassis or is it
very limited?
Also what do they not cover?
On mine which was double the fig you are talking about covered anything and every
thing for the first year ie if the engine blew up they covered it no matter what.
The trick these companies pull is to limit coverage to none if something that was not
covered started the problem so you have to be very careful and read all the fine print.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #10

I agree with others, I have a 330 cat in my DSDP and it moves it along as fast as I want to go. I got a warranty on both my used MH for the reasons stated above, first year jitters basically. You are buying something you did not maintain and don't know any deep faults. That being said, it is always buyor beware with these as many, even though they say bumper to bumper, have many restictions.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #11

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
I was jerking your chain on the HP most just make the claim on the factory
dyno when new.
But does the warranty / what ever cover the whole drive train and chassis or is it
very limited?
Also what do they not cover?
On mine which was double the fig you are talking about covered anything and every
thing for the first year ie if the engine blew up they covered it no matter what.
The trick these companies pull is to limit coverage to none if something that was not
covered started the problem so you have to be very careful and read all the fine print.
No chain pulling here. The 330 HP cat engine is tuned for fire truck duty, the other place you find it is in MH's. It has different HP output and different torque ratings. From the rating charts you will inject more fuel to raise the HP numbers with less of an increses in torque numbers. Read this as less MPG. All but the very early engines can be tuned for the high 200's to 330 HP. A Cat technician will not load a higher HP tune into the computer unless you can show that the chassis maker will indicate that the other hardware in the drive train can handle the increase. On the other hand a independant tuner may if you know him and he trusts that you will take responsibility. This engine started life as a 3126 and ended up as a C7 when it left the OTR classification. It is still in production but not for OTR use. Cat would not put up with the federal requirements. As far as I know it was never tuned to over 330 HP by Cat. The stated life of this engine is about 300,000 miles. The later engines have cylinder liners and can be rebuilt in the chassis where the early engines had to be removed to bore the block for rebuild. The notable difference with this engine is the injection system. Keep the fuel filters clean and keep dirt out of the fuel system. Do not let anyone tell you that these injectors can digest any dirt, they are protected by a 2 micron absolute fuel filter. This injector system also needs clean engine oil to work correctly. Mine has 60,000 miles on it and is just getting broken in. This spring it is a little overdue for its top end service and will get that done as soon as the rain quits.

I LOL each time I out pull a cummins on a hill. They are rated with more HP but given the performance, I would bet less torque. Of course using slightly less diameter OTR truck tires may have something to do with this. Allison can program the transmission for any diameter tire you choose to use so the speedo will be accurate. If you choose this route, also have them clear the shift points that way the transmission will respond to the tire change within the first full throttle starts. Otherwise it takes much longer for it to respond.
glenn allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Buy the Good Sam warranty for about $2000 and it covers everything as long as the coach has been serviced by a dealer
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver