RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:46 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Normal Coolant Usage?

I have a 2005 Fleetwood Providence with a Cat C7 engine on a Freightliner XC chassis, that I have owned for nine years now.

Since it was a year old, I have found myself having to top off the coolant surge tank every 3-4 months. I add anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 gallon of coolant per year. Is this normal?

I have no visual coolant leaks and no overheating problems. I get my engine oil analyzed annually by Blackstone and there is no presence of coolant in my engine oil. I get my coolant analyzed bi-annually by Cat, and there are no issues there either.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 05:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
I have a 2005 Fleetwood Providence with a Cat C7 engine on a Freightliner XC chassis, that I have owned for nine years now.

Since it was a year old, I have found myself having to top off the coolant surge tank every 3-4 months. I add anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 gallon of coolant per year. Is this normal?

I have no visual coolant leaks and no overheating problems. I get my engine oil analyzed annually by Blackstone and there is no presence of coolant in my engine oil. I get my coolant analyzed bi-annually by Cat, and there are no issues there either.

Craig

If it were mine, I would replace the radiator cap with a new one, and inspect the overflow tank and piping for leaks first. Be sure to check cab heater core and heater hoses as well. That coolant is definitely going somewhere. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 09-02-2015, 06:01 AM   #3

Could be just overfilling and it is going out the over flow tube ??

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
If it were mine, I would replace the radiator cap with a new one, and inspect the overflow tank and piping for leaks first. Be sure to check cab heater core and heater hoses as well. That coolant is definitely going somewhere. I hope this helps.
I replaced my surge tank, radiator cap and coolant hoses three years ago. I'll double check the heater hose that runs from the engine to the cab. Thanks.

I park the MH on a concrete pad next to my house and I have never found any coolant on the pad, so I was wondering if this type of coolant loss was normal for this engine. When I top off, I keep the coolant level between the Min & Max markings on the tank.

Craig

Old 09-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

coolant

Had my c7 for ten years and 80,00 miles. Never used any coolant at all. Changed out to elc about 4 years ago so due to change soon, but level remains full without addition. Sounds like minor leak or seepage somewhere within your system. Good luck.
aztortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #6

Had this coach for 5 years and haven't added a drop of coolant.

Heater hoses are a likely problem , because of the long run through boxes on the frame it could easily evaporate before reaching the ground.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #7

I have found over the years that Cats will purge coolant to adjust their own level....
Old 09-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

Agree--replace cap and see what happens--like the markings on the oil dip stick--seems most older engines have a "sweet spot" for filling then with coolant and oil----get above the "sweet spot" and they simply spit it out--"use it"......see if a slightly lower amount of coolant in the overflow "solves" the problem????
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
"Normal" would be none.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:

Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
"Normal" would be none.
Mr_D

"None" is also "normal" for my 19 year old 141k mile 250 hp 3126 Cat.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replies folks. I do my annual chassis maintenance every November, I do most of the maintenance myself but there are a couple of things I leave to the Freightliner dealer. Iíll replace the cap again and have them do a coolant system pressure test when I take it in.

Thanks again!

Craig

Old 09-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it is hot out and I am running up a long grade, there is a possibility of coolant coming out of the over flow. You may need to lower the fluid amount in your tank. The others have made good suggestions as well.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the replies folks. I do my annual chassis maintenance every November, I do most of the maintenance myself but there are a couple of things I leave to the Freightliner dealer. Iíll replace the cap again and have them do a coolant system pressure test when I take it in.

Thanks again!

Craig
Craig, food for thought.
I was loosing coolant at about the same rate. My first reaction was the pressure cap. Went to my friendly local Auto Parts Store and bought a new cap. I asked if they could test the new one and got a Deer in the Headlights look. So I went to one of the local Auto Shops and asked if they could test the new cap. One of the Mechanics dug out his tester and low and behold, the new 15 Lb cap was popping at 8 psi. So, back to the store for another. Back to the Auto Shop. This one was popping at 12 psi. Getting better, so back I go and now they had to order one. Get the 3rd one and it tests at 16 psi. Close enough.
Have not lost any coolant since. Yes, I do have an overflow tank.
Moral of the story, Your new cap may not be what you think. Maybe it's a "Made in China" thing.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #14

You have a coolant leak for sure. It could be leaking from the top of the engine and evaporating before it gets to the road. Theres a turbo coolant line up top. Maybe its as simple as a loose rad hose clamp.