Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 10:41 PM   #1

Smile Oil Capacity

I have a 1997 Beaver Monterey with a Caterpillar 3126 rear diesel engine. I bought it used and this is just my second year with it. Last year, when I had the oil changed they said that they put in 32 qts, this year I had Camping World change the oil and the said they put in 20 qts. I look up the oil levels in the 3126 maintenance manual and they have listed amounts from 16 qts to 35 qts with out explaining which engines has which. I suppose there are all kinds of uses for this engine that ends up with different pan sizes.
I was wondering if there is a standard pan size for class a motor home application. Motorhome is listed as the very light application.
Does anyone have an idea how much oil my engine requires? Thanks John at RanchoT@msn.com
RanchoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 04:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchoT View Post
I have a 1997 Beaver Monterey with a Caterpillar 3126 rear diesel engine. I bought it used and this is just my second year with it. Last year, when I had the oil changed they said that they put in 32 qts, this year I had Camping World change the oil and the said they put in 20 qts. I look up the oil levels in the 3126 maintenance manual and they have listed amounts from 16 qts to 35 qts with out explaining which engines has which. I suppose there are all kinds of uses for this engine that ends up with different pan sizes.
I was wondering if there is a standard pan size for class a motor home application. Motorhome is listed as the very light application.
Does anyone have an idea how much oil my engine requires? Thanks John at RanchoT@msn.com
Try posting in power train under Caterpillar.
Shadow0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:15 AM   #3

Cat or Freightliner should be able to tell Ya. Mine takes 27qts. You realy need to find out whats right. Good luck
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Call Cat with your engine serial number and they will tell you the correct amount.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #5

Their are two different pans on the 3126 used in the Beaver. A shallow or deep pan. The shallow pan takes 19 Quarts the deep pan takes 27 Quarts. The deep pan has ridges on it's side the shallow pan is smooth.

These levels were changed from the original fill levels 21 and 33 (approximately). This was due to excess blow by out the crankcase vent.

If not already done by PO you should "recalibrate" the dipstick.

Procedure is

Drain all oil
Add 14 or 22 quarts (shallow or deep pan)
Mark stick as "Add"
Add 3 More Quarts
Mark stick as "FULL"
Start Engine for One Minute
Wait ten Minutes
Refill to Full Mark (approximately two Quarts for filter)

You now have the correct capacity.

When checking oil don't bother to add until it reaches the "Add" mark. Some engines find a spot below the full level that they like and will stay there for many miles. Constant "topping off" seems to just use a lot more oil.

Steve

97 Beaver Patriot, Cat 3126, Aqua Hot
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #6

The shallow pan (19 quarts) is sheet metal the - deep pan is cast aluminum.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote