Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2017, 05:29 AM   #1

Oil change on 3126B

I had the oil changed on my motorhome 22 months ago on my motorhome with Caterpiller 3126B. I have since put less than 2,000 miles on it. Is the risk factor really that important when it comes to the age of my oil?

I'm thinking about doing my own change. I'm assuming the entire job is draining, changing the oil filter and refilling. Anything else I need to know beyond that?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
98Contessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Contessa View Post
I had the oil changed on my motorhome 22 months ago on my motorhome with Caterpiller 3126B. I have since put less than 2,000 miles on it. Is the risk factor really that important when it comes to the age of my oil?

I'm thinking about doing my own change. I'm assuming the entire job is draining, changing the oil filter and refilling. Anything else I need to know beyond that?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
You'll need a big oil drain pan. at least 5 gallon if you have the sheet metal pan on your engine, more if you have the cast pan.. I bought a large drain pan from Amazon.
A large oil filter wrench much larger than a car 5.5" or a strap wrench , the oil filter hold 2.5 quarts.
I poke a hold in the oil filter and let it drain before removing it.
I made special funnel so I can get the oil back in faster.
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #3

Today I purchased a 24 quart drain pan for $30 online from Walmart. Thanks much for the tip on punching a hole in the filter. Sounds like the process should be relatively easy . . . Hoping so.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #4

I use a 35 quart Sterilite ez carry clear plastic bin from Wmart. It's the perfect size for oil, trans, rear end fluid changes. The best part...it's 7 bucks.
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Contessa View Post
Today I purchased a 24 quart drain pan for $30 online from Walmart. Thanks much for the tip on punching a hole in the filter. Sounds like the process should be relatively easy . . . Hoping so.
Before you punch a hole in the filter loosen the filter a turn or two. The last thing you want to do is punch a hole in the filter only to find out that the person who last installed the filter had gorilla arms and you can't get it loose.

Don't ask me how I know this.
Coach #10984
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #6

Wished I saw this before making the mistake of punching a hole in the filter. I did indeed find the filter was very difficult to get off. I had to pay someone $100 just to remove the filter. That's after spending $50 on different tools to remove it myself. After all was done, I spent over $300 to change my own oil. Now that I did the whole process and bought all of the necessary tools, I'm believing my next oil change should be under $80. I'm happy just the same to know that I no longer need to depend on someone else the next time. Thanks much for your response.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #7

I have changed my oil a few times, I have not had to punch a hole in the filter, if you unwind it slow it will retain the oil and i just dump it out once off. As far as getting the old filter off I use a large pair of channel lock pliers its easy. Also just hand tighten the new filter the gasket expands and you do not need to get it to tight.

Which leads me to my next comment. I had been buying my oil filters at NAPA. I went over to the CAT dealer got the OEM Cat high performance filter for more that half the NAPA price.
NAPA 32.60 Cat 16.40.

Also while i was there I picked up a spare water pump belt and alternator belt.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #8

The issue with my engine is that the only access to the oil filter is underneath. You have to contort your body yo maximum reach to get to it. It's hard to get a ranch on it. And finally, the filter contains a gallon of oil. A fun time was had by all!
Coach #10984
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #9

I would not punch a hole on the filter. I change the oil on my coach and what I done, I bought a plastic oil catch container at Walmart. Mine only holds five gallons so it is not all that bad to drain and pull it out from underneath the coach. I lay big sheets of plastic also in case some oil splashes out. Then I go to the oil filter which holds about two quarts. I had to purchase a real heavy duty oil filter remover which is like four inch metal strap, you insert a ratchet extension and attach a ratchet with a cheater bar so that you can have leverage. Also apply a piece of cloth between the metal filter and the metal strap tool to prevent it from slippage. It will come right off. Once you break it lose, you can just turn it by hand and keep another bucket under to catch any oil that might come through once you loosen the filter. Then I take the old oil to Walmart to have it recycled or what ever they do with it.

I change the oil every twelve months does not matter if I only have a couple of thousand miles on it.

It costs me around eighty dollars to do it myself.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a 2000 Dutchstar with the CAT 3126B engine. We would do yearly oil filter changes with a oil sample . Never did wear out the oil, but would change it around 15,000 miles. Oil sample results showed the oil was wearing out, but there was always lots of miles left on after changing.
DennyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would also suggest that you be very, very careful about how much pressure you put on the oil filter with the strap wrench. A friend of mine, who always does his own LOFs, put the strap wrench on the oil filter and reefed down on it and crunched the filter to the point where it came off. He spent the better part of the afternoon on his back under that MH trying everything he could think of to get the rest of the filter off, till I suggested that he use a dull metal chisel and mallet and working very carefully, finally got it off.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote