Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Well, your video didn't show but iRV2 manged to stick a 20 second Ad in that spot. Way to go iRV2!!
Hey Mike,
Sorry about that. I can post pics pretty easily but, haven't messed around too much with posting videos. I had a hard time loading that and, it show's 'cause, it DOESN'T SHOW!! I'm not savvy enough to know how to manipulate the system so that video, or any video I post will actually work. But, suffice to say that, in that short, 15 second video, it shows my hand grabbing the water pump pulley and, pulling and pushing on it, you can clearly see how much that whole pump shaft moves in and out, about 3/8" - 1/2" or so, NOT GOOD. A new pump is supposed to arrive today, IF, UPS ever gets its head out of its a.. and stops parking it in certain cities for days.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well gang,
So far, I've found quite a few pumps with the same casting numbers and same size pulley. The prices range from around a low side of $125 used, to over $250 for new. I do know one thing for sure, I WILL NOT be using a USED water pump on this rig. The casting number is 187-8957 with a 00 below that number. The pulley is: 7W 3780 ( 3 3/4" diameter v-pulley) I have learned that, that part number is not limited to a C-7. It can apply to the 3126 versions too. So, the search is on. It's a weekend so, the closest CAT dealer is in Kingmon AZ, about an hour from us and, is closed on the weekends.

As far as replacing that one particular hose that someone mentioned, ALL and any hoses that have to do with the coolant system are going to be replaced. As are, all and any bearings, in all tensioners and idlers. As stated way earlier, the fan hub bearing is my prime concern here. And so far, it's fighting me trying to get those dumb-a$$ tiny, Allen head screws out. They're in there rock solid. I think I'm gonna have to resort to removing the entire backing plate, behind that fan hub and, work on it at the bench. I might have to resort to the same solution another member did quite a while ago. And that was to weld nuts to the faces of those Allen screws. He was able to remove them after that. What a pain.
Scott
Looking good Scott ! Im following . I see you posted a casting number . Is there a chance of the part # also as I found this on E Bay is it the correct one for the C7
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CAT-PUM...xU09zN&vxp=mtr
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:17 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Well, your video didn't show but iRV2 manged to stick a 20 second Ad in that spot. Way to go iRV2!!
Video plays fine for me, as long as you have Adobe Flash enabled.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:48 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey cat View Post
Looking good Scott ! Im following . I see you posted a casting number . Is there a chance of the part # also as I found this on E Bay is it the correct one for the C7
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CAT-PUM...xU09zN&vxp=mtr
Journey cat,
This is the one I purchased off ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Caterpi...72.m2749.l2649

I contacted this seller prior to me pushing the purchase button. I wanted to know if it was the EXACT same pump, with the exact same v-goove pulley, as mine. He responded and told me all I needed to know. The pump arrived today, about a week after I ordered it and, it is the exact same pump as mine. The casting numbers are the same, and, the numbers on the v-groove pulley are the exact same too. There's two o-rings needed on the back side when the pump is attached to the engine block. Those did not come with the pump. So, a trip down to the local Napa auto parts store and, I got what I needed.

All in all, by far, this was/is the best deal for a water pump for a CAT C-7. Most hover around the $225 - $250 or more mark. So, $90 + $15 for shipping was a heck of a deal for me. I just wish I could have got as good a deal on all the preformed radiator hoses. Man, I took a bath on those from a local Freightliner Service Center. Oh well, at 81,000 miles and this is all that engine's needed, I'll take it.
Scott
Old 01-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey Mike,
Sorry about that. I can post pics pretty easily but, haven't messed around too much with posting videos.
Scott
No need to apologize. the error is probably on my end. I need to find a 12-year old to show me how to view the video.
I was just being sarcastic since the Ad played.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #48

Scott ,
Correct me if im wrong .But the pump I was looking at I believe is aftermarket . And not Cat
I sent message to the vendor you purchased from .
I may or may not need one with only 40K miles on mine .But once in there why not do it all
Old 01-25-2018, 11:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Scott ,
Correct me if im wrong .But the pump I was looking at I believe is aftermarket . And not Cat
I sent message to the vendor you purchased from .
I may or may not need one with only 40K miles on mine .But once in there why not do it all
Journey cat,
Well, I too was kinda concerned about it possibly being an aftermarket pump. But, two things here. 1, the pump came in a CAT box, wrapped in CAT packing paper with CAT packing slips and other stuff that looked official. The housing has all the same exact markings and numbers on it that are on my original other than, on mine, the front casting looks like this:

187-8957
-00-

The new pump's numbers look like this:

187-8957
-04-

Now, I'm maybe thinking it's the "4th" generation or, maybe made in '04, who knows?

2nd, in speaking with one of the Freightliner parts folks when picking up some of my highly expensive radiator hoses, he said CAT contracted out many of it's engine parts to aftermarket suppliers. So, for the most part, you will see CAT on most of the aftermarket parts like water pumps etc. due to what CAT specked on re-production parts

Based on VERY CLOSE inspection upon arrival, the casting of the pump, the rotation of the pulley/bearing/shaft, the front, back, top, bottom and rear, all measure up to what appears to be a perfect match for my old one. I could see the impeller in there and, it too looked as good if not better than my original. I'm happy with it.

Here's a couple of pics that show PROGRESSION in putting this beast back together. I should have been done by now but, me being me, taking breaks when I want etc. I'm just cruising along and, eventually will get back together. Hopefully, I'll have the radiator back in tomorrow. That's if I can conjure some help with lifting it back in. That monster hovers around 80-100 lbs. It's not bad if you just lift it up and put it back down. But, the angle and trajectory that it has to take to land in it's position, necessitates the need for TWO men to handle it.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	190067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1194.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	190068  

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	190069  
Old 01-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #50

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...PHf-7gtnFqf6CN

I thought Id add this to help others . Thanks for the pictures . Do you have any tips as to stop the flow from the coolant system .
Old 01-26-2018, 01:58 PM   #51

Quote:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...PHf-7gtnFqf6CN

I thought Id add this to help others . Thanks for the pictures . Do you have any tips as to stop the flow from the coolant system .
Hey Journey,
Well, two things. One, yep, seen that before and have it saved. If I was going through all this again, and didn't already have a complete brand new "non greaseable) fan bearing and hub, I'd purchase all those parts and make my C-7 a greaseable fan hub. I'd attach an extended flexible hose and run it to the bottom of the frame some place.

Two,
Not sure what you mean by "Stop the flow of coolant". Now, if you're wanting to drain the radiator ONLY, you'll have to slide under the coach and, shut off the heater lines by turning the 1/4 turn valves in each line, near the frame. That will isolate the whole front section from the engine and radiator. Don't know if you knew that or not.
Scott
Old 01-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #52

Yes Scott . There is a lot on the web for thhe job at hand . Another thing was on tightining the belts usining 2 blocks of wood and treaded rod ,maybe you have seen that also ?CAT 3208 BELT NUMBERS and their PROPER ADJUSTMENT - Wanderlodge Owners Group
Whats your thoughts on the Kriket tenson tool ?

As per your #2 answer ,Yes ! Just was not sure if it would isolate the rest of the system.
Your pump vender re listed the pump . Do you feel certain it would be correct for my 350 C7 also ?
I feel I should replace it while in there for the price .
Also I will do a close inspection on that fan hub too .
Once again I only have 40K mile on mine
I wish my coach was back so I can begin this task . Thanks again , James
Old 01-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #53

I'm a CAT person.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rusty at Missoula CAT.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	190141  
Old 01-26-2018, 10:55 PM   #54

Quote:
Yes Scott . There is a lot on the web for thhe job at hand . Another thing was on tightining the belts usining 2 blocks of wood and treaded rod ,maybe you have seen that also ?CAT 3208 BELT NUMBERS and their PROPER ADJUSTMENT - Wanderlodge Owners Group
Whats your thoughts on the Kriket tenson tool ?

As per your #2 answer ,Yes ! Just was not sure if it would isolate the rest of the system.
Your pump vender re listed the pump . Do you feel certain it would be correct for my 350 C7 also ?
I feel I should replace it while in there for the price .
Also I will do a close inspection on that fan hub too .
Once again I only have 40K mile on mine
I wish my coach was back so I can begin this task . Thanks again , James

James,
Well, I really can't comment on that tool. The gent using it felt it was best for him, in adjusting HIS belts. I've been a DYI type, rebuilding engines, brakes, and a few zillion other aspects of autos, trucks, motorcycles, boats, motor homes and all that for decades. As of yet, I've not had any issues tightening any belt, on any vehicle in the manor at which I do it. And that is simply leveraging in any manner that help get the belt in question, tight to my specs. One develops a "feel" for it after a while.

There are belt tension meters/tools on the market. I've just not needed them.

Now, as for "my pump" fitting YOUR C-7, well, I'd just about bet the farm it's the identical pump that's on your engine. There is no guarantees here so, probably the smartest move you could make (if you haven't already) is, call Freightliner with your last 6 of your VIN and, get the part number they tell you is your pump. Then, again if you haven't already, do a search of that part number and, any correlating numbers on ebay etc. The listing of that pump says "C-7" (as well as many 3126s etc) .

Obviously as you're more than likely seen, some of those pumps are listed with SERPENTINE pulleys. Well, not good. Unless your engine has some fairly major changes from our C-7, the water pump is V-belt driven, not serpentine. So, with all that being said, again, I'd bet the farm yours and our pump is the same exact pump. As for you doing the fan bearing while you're in there, well, that's a decision you'll have to make.

Some of those fan bearings on the C-7s have gone out at an early age of around 35K, or so has been reported on here. As you've read, mine is was actually spinning quite smoothly, albeit just a tad noisy, but, it's in the burial ground for fan hub bearings now. It full-filled close to 82,000 miles of trouble free spinning. If a member on here hadn't given me an "out of this world" deal on the fan bearing, hub, bracket and other misc. related parts, I would have purchased all that was needed for a lubeable one.

It's kinda funny. The bearing retainer for the sealed bearing, "Looks" to be the same exact one that is for the lubeable one. The only difference is, the top of it is drilled for a zerk fitting. The shape and size of the top on the C-7 one is identical to the shape and size of the lubeable one but, without the hole drilled and tapped. You'll see it in the picture below.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	190188   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1194.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	190189  

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	190190  
Old 01-31-2018, 04:04 PM   #55

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Scott, Man that motor looks pretty. Happy to see you were finally able to get some use out of that box of spare parts.

Sammie.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Hi Scott, Man that motor looks pretty. Happy to see you were finally able to get some use out of that box of spare parts.

Sammie.
Heeeeey it's Sammie,

How ya doin' partner? You know, I carried them in a compartment, ever since I got them from you. I looked at them when I got them but, really didn't know what I was looking at 'till I had my fan out of the way and my bearing system was till on the engine. I had to drill the heads on the Allen screws that held the fan pulley on. That made getting the rest of it off, not too bad. So, once I put the new system together, I painted it and, installed it. Waaaay quieter than my old one.

You know, I had to run up to Kingman to a Freightliner dealer to get all my preformed radiator hoses and, heater hose etc along with two thermostats and a thermostat housing gasket. Well suffice to say, I'm making monthly payments on all that equipment.

How's the Sophie kid?
Scott

Tags
cat