Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Over oiled

What happens to on one of these 3126Bs when they put the full 22 qts of oil in? Last service they did this at a CAT shop and I had to drop 5 qts out of it after about 1000 miles when I figgered it out. The guy on the CAT hotline said, like is said here on this forum, that the shallow pan is only s'posed to have 17 qts with the filter. The service manager said he hadn't heard that and I told him the hotline guy said there was a bulletin on it several years ago.
Check out the thread on engine overheating to see my status.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
So they over Filled it by 5 qts ?
And your question is ?
What does your Dip Stick Read at 17 qts ?
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #3

Oil pan overfilled the crankshaft throws can contact the oil , and cause frothing adding to excess oil out the slobber tube. The splashing oil also over lubricates the cylinder walls, and the rings can't control the excess, and oil gets into the combustion chamber acts like excess fuel , combustion temps rise, cylinder head temps rise , coolant temps rise, etc.

Question. My original to the coach 3126B manual , says 19 quarts for service , and 22 quarts for an engine overhaul. I've re-calibrated the dipstick, the original add line is now the full mark. But about 2,500 miles after the change it starts to get what I consider excess slobber and down goes the level, could be the anti foaming agent in the oil breaking down.
I guess, my question is , do you have a copy of the bulletin that states 17 quarts including filter?
Maybe I have to re-calibrate again , and of course I did my pre-trip oil change two weeks ago.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do not have a copy of the bulletin, but was told that by the tech on the CAT help line several years ago. There are also several threads about it on this forum.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #5

I guess , I'm really going to have to start writing stuff down; memory isn't what it should be ; I thought the new number was 19.
I'll do a search , and see if someone posted the bulletin.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
over oiled

This is the first I've heard of 17. I also thought my number was 19. I've not had any blow by problems.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Yes, 19 is the number I remember hearing or reading.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Got the MH back the other day from NC Machine and they put 22 qts in as per the instructions for after rebuild. They tore down the bottom and found my #3 cylinder was dusted as, to a certain extent, were two others. When I got home it showed full on the dipstick 10 minutes after shutdown. ( you should always wait 5-10 minutes to check your oil.) So that's the 22 qts fill and 19 qt running after it all gets back into the engine. When I first saw it, they had the filter plled and the pan off and there was no oil dripping anywhere.
It's a real b###ch when you see your oil filter laying on the workbench cut in pieces and all these little shiny sparkles in the element.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Got the MH back the other day from NC Machine and they put 22 qts in as per the instructions for after rebuild. They tore down the bottom and found my #3 cylinder was dusted as, to a certain extent, were two others. When I got home it showed full on the dipstick 10 minutes after shutdown. ( you should always wait 5-10 minutes to check your oil.) So that's the 22 qts fill and 19 qt running after it all gets back into the engine. When I first saw it, they had the filter plled and the pan off and there was no oil dripping anywhere.
It's a real b###ch when you see your oil filter laying on the workbench cut in pieces and all these little shiny sparkles in the element.

Any clue as to what the source of the dusting was.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:00 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can you explain dusting? That is a new term to me. What repairs were made to correct where the metal was coming from?
Old 10-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They told me that it usually came from a bad air filter. One that has a hole in it and it lets small particles into the engine. The walls of my #3 cylinder was polished to a high shine and there is supposed to be some crosshatching. The engine is toast. See my post on 3126 overheating. It was overheating partially because it's basically only working on 5 cylinders.
It's probably been going on since I got it and I wish I had known about it as that was before the 100,000 mile point.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have done two trips of about 100 miles r/t each towing the Liberty and a couple of short trips around town and it seems to me that I am getting less blow bye now and less dark grey smoke on start up. It is still puffing a little smoke on startup when I haven't started it for several days, but no smoke when it's been run. The power level seems to be the same,poor, but with the cooler outside temps and the new fan, it seems to be a bit better.
Still no word on a replacement motor for it and we are still short trips with as few hills as possible. It's amazing the planning that takes tho. One major short steep hill after crossing the Hood Canal floating going to Port Townsend and two on the way back. Going to Mt. Rainer, there are two before Tacoma and two before and after Eatonville.

Tags
led