Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #15

Had Brazel's in Washington state swap out the OE Pacbrake for the PRXB about three years ago. Big difference below 45 mph, really slows the rig down and we're about 32K lbs. Hardly have to touch the service brakes to come to a complete stop.

Coming down mountain passes at freeway speeds about the same as the OE but I knew that from reading reviews and researching.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman1 View Post
Had Brazel's in Washington state swap out the OE Pacbrake for the PRXB about three years ago. Big difference below 45 mph, really slows the rig down and we're about 32K lbs. Hardly have to touch the service brakes to come to a complete stop.

Coming down mountain passes at freeway speeds about the same as the OE but I knew that from reading reviews and researching.

This is what I figured but, until you confirmed it, I couldn't get anyone to admit it. Thanks.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:07 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The above is correct. Works better at lower speeds but no improvement at higher speeds. I believe that's what the ads say too.Have
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
PacBrake PRXB

Below is a page out of PacBrake’s PRXB brochure. This is what convinced me to try the PRXB. While I don’t buy their 1500’ claim, I’d be happy with a mere 50’ improvement. I knew it wouldn’t help me on all downhill grades, but I figured it should help some on steep ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	193410

I took my MH to Colton Truck Terminal Garage today to have them figure out why I noticed no improvement with the PRXB. Here’s what they determined:

Years ago, I installed a pyrometer. When installing the exhaust probe, I drilled the probe hole in a bad location on my exhaust manifold, one that wouldn’t allow the probe to sink deep enough. I plugged that hole and installed the probe in a better location. Fast forward to today: the increased back pressure of the PRXB blew out my plug, so when I activated the exhaust brake, some of the exhaust back pressure exited through the hole in the manifold. So in other words, one modification screwed up another modification! I checked the exhaust for leaks immediately after installing the PRXB, but I didn’t check it again after my initial test drive. If I had, I would have saved myself additional headache and $$.

Now that the manifold is plugged once again (hopefully for good), I can feel the PRXB doing it’s job. While I’m not overly impressed with it’s performance, I haven’t tested it yet under proper conditions - while towing my dingy. I’ll know then if all my efforts were worth it.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fire Up,

Brett Wolfe didn’t weigh in on this conversation, but he is quoted in the PRXB brochure. The brochure must be old, as the Cat RV Club was renamed the Diesel RV Club several years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	193421

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake