Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Platinum Power Harness

I am interested to know if anybody has used a Platinum Power Harness on their Cat. I have a 2002 Newmar DSDP with a 330 cat on a Freightliner chassis with an Allison transmission. My problem is poor uphill performance and it feels flat on acceleration. has anybody used this product and what was the outcome? Was there a noticeable change in performance and response? Thank you.
Geomar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #2

Do you have a link for info on the product?

I search and come up with horse products , not horsepower products.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's what I found

Platinum Power Group | CAT Power Harness

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #4

The product is made by Platinum Power Group.The website is Platinum Power Group | Caterpillar Power Harness.
Geomar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:37 AM   #5

Yes, I installed them on my C13- bought the pair of them for more power and better fuel mileage. I did see a small increase in power however they are both sitting on my desk somewhere now. On acceleration I would have a huge cloud of black smoke come out the tailpipe. I took them off because one time there was a guy sitting next to the tailpipe with his window open and when I took off I filled his truck with black smoke. It embarrassed me so much that I decide the gains weren't worth the added hassle and smoke. What these do is they trick the computer into thinking the sensors they are hooked to are reading different than they are and will increase the amount of fuel going to the engine- fuel means power on a diesel. Good luck with them if you decide to use them. Hopefully they won't create the same problem for you.

I was wondering if you have done any diagnostics before you try these harnesses? Do you know how much boost the engine is producing? Have you changed the fuel filters? Have the valves been adjusted according to the maintenance schedule? Have you replaced the air filter or checked the filter minder?

Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

OK; I've seen this type of product before ; what they are is; in line resistors between the sensors and the ECU; that trick the ECU into thinking the turbo boost ( or other sensor ) isn't at max, or low at certain RPM . So the ECU program will run more fuel into the engine to get the power up.

As Steve says , there are drawbacks , like his cloud of black smoke off idle.

You can spot the diesel pick up trucks using similar products , by the black mess on the side of the truck by the tail pipe.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #7

Geomar 38 ; A few questions .

Is this your first diesel coach ?
Have you had the coach weighed , and if you are towing a toad , how much does it weigh ?
If; when you have the total weight of the coach and toad , and divide it by your engines HP rating , you come up with a number over 100 , your coaches performance may be normal.

I am currently at 107 lbs per HP, and although some may consider my coaches performance not acceptable , on hills where I slow to 35>40 MPH, or merge lanes where it takes 1/3 mile to get to highway speed. The coach is faster on hills & acceleration, than a loaded semi, and without spending $$$$$$ to buy a 600 hp coach, with a power to weight ratio in the 70>75 lbs/hp, range ; I figure the power, and performance, is what it is .
Old 10-20-2016, 06:28 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hummm, interesting formula. So that means that if I get 96.96969697 then I shouldn't be lugging down as much as it is and have better acceleration than I do.
My loaded school bus weighs, high school kids, around 30K#s and has a 250hp Cummins and runs like a rabbit with it's tail on fire. Gotta love those Thomas'.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power