Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Power Loss...AGAIN !!!!!

Yep...On our way back to Charlotte from the Rally...Coming into NC, the Cat starts to lose power..we are now sitting ( comfortably ) in a RV park in Durham until the tow truck fetches us tomorrow and tows us to the Cat dealer again ...I am sure it's a turbo failure...Yes the same turbo they just installed 2 months and 3000 miles ago We have decided this motor home does not like Charlotte...2000 miles running great, and we get near NC and it stops... the Rally was a blast but this crap has got to stop....or not ... Peace...D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #2

Dickson, I hope you get going soon and I know that of which you speak, many years back when I travelled by car. The DW and I left our home town for the NHRA races, 3 times one summer, each time we were stopped at a one horse town just over half way to our destination.
You Know you in trouble when; the owner of the only local Diner/Garage knows you by your first name, and recognizes your car. Thankfully there was a new highway opened the next spring and we didn't need to drive through that town again.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Carolina Campers
Hey Dickson, thats not good. That doesn't seem like Cat to have turbo problems. Wish ya luck. We been doing a reno to our kitchen and really had us tied down but the end is insight. I'm feeling like a weekend in Charlotte soon and an eve at Bell Acres. Good luck with the coach. Brent
dunrovin1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
On my Cummins the Pacbrake control valve was sticking causing the valve in the exhaust manifold to remain partly closed reducing power up to 75%. You may want to check yours if your Cat engine is using the same style Pacbrake valve. I have since taken mine off and manually opened the valve, 100% power now. New part is on order from Pacbrake.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Thanks guys...The C7 is under warranty and at the Cat dealer in Mebane NC...Yes it's another turbo. This time the seal failed. They did read a Re-gen fault code, but that doesn't seem to be why the seal failed. They are gonna tear it up and see if they can get an idea why 2 turbos would go in 4000 miles...I ask about a C7 lemon...The service manager just say's " let's hope we can get this fiqured out". By the way he has seen other Cat engines that seem to break the same way before.
Thanks Agian...D
Old 10-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #6

good luck and lets hope this doesn't become a habit with this cats. LOL
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Dixie, had some problems with my C7early on,it's been clear sailing since. Hope your experience will be the same. Good luck
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Thanks guys...The C7 is under warranty and at the Cat dealer in Mebane NC...Yes it's another turbo. This time the seal failed. They did read a Re-gen fault code, but that doesn't seem to be why the seal failed. They are gonna tear it up and see if they can get an idea why 2 turbos would go in 4000 miles...I ask about a C7 lemon...The service manager just say's " let's hope we can get this fiqured out". By the way he has seen other Cat engines that seem to break the same way before.
Thanks Agian...D
I've owned my first diesel (330 HP Cat) for 7 years after 16 years with gassers and I'm dreading the time I'll have to be towed. I'm told there are two kinds of diesel owners, those who have been towed and those who will be towed. It really irks me to hear all these tales about how many hundreds of thousand miles a diesel will run. The main short block of a diesel may be indistructable but all those pieces of equipment that keeps the diesel running are really crappy, and will definitely leave you sitting on the road side. Very Very seldom is there any kind of Post about a gasser being towed, at least none that I have read about.

Hope they find your problem so no more turbo failures.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Just an update... No sign of hot shut downs causing the seal to go in the turbo. But they are having trouble finding another.
One came in but it was the wrong turbo in the right box... They have thier Cat Rep. involved now.. So we shall see. Hope it gets done next week. Just made reservations for a NC iRV2 member meet and greet (about 6 rigs) in Asheboro for the 21st. of this month. Wish us luck.. D
Old 10-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #10

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Just an update... No sign of hot shut downs causing the seal to go in the turbo. But they are having trouble finding another.
One came in but it was the wrong turbo in the right box... They have thier Cat Rep. involved now.. So we shall see. Hope it gets done next week. Just made reservations for a NC iRV2 member meet and greet (about 6 rigs) in Asheboro for the 21st. of this month. Wish us luck.. D
sorry to hear you are having problems with the turbo. we are hoping for the both of you and of course the four legged little guys to be able to go to the asheville cg. If you need a place to stay overnight when picking up your coach, we have the room. take care henry (hank) and aurie
2011 winnie view, smithfield NC
henryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dickson, you need to come back down here where it's warm. You didn't have these problems when you were on the Gulf Coast. Would love to do the Asheboro meet but have some (hopefully) minor surgery scheduled that interfers. Sorry to hear you having problems with your CAT. I just rolled over 40,000 on mine today. Hasn't missed a beat yet. I say a prayer every night to the motor gods. Holler when you back down this way.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Update!!!! Here is what we were told by Cat today. The reason for the lack of parts is Cat sold all the C7 engines and parts to a manufacture in Minnesota So after 3 weeks they now SAY that, that company has a compatible turbo and is shipping it to the Cat dealer in NC We shall see.. Sold all the parts Now what if something else breaks.
I am going be to ... Anyway... I will keep everyone updated. D
Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #13

Wagonmaster, if it makes you feel any better I had to have my gasser Bounder on a Chevy chassis towed once, and a friend of mine had his Bounder gasser on a Ford chassis towed 5 times. The tow bill for me was $500 (insurance paid this) and the repaire was $965. Don't remember how much my friend paid for all of his towing and repairs. Crap can happen to anyone and it irritates me the units aren't made for longer trouble free service. On the good side my old Bounder which my son has now has over 106,000 miles on it and it is running good. Hope my current Bounder DP does it too.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #14

dickson, if for some reason they don't get ya'll mh done. ya'll come up camping anyway. all 4 of you can bunk with us.

Tags
power