Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Primary Fuel Filter change

My 07 Fleetwood Excursion with a 350 C7 has a primary fuel filter mounted up on the block near the injector pump and a remote fuel filter with a water seperator mounted in the right rear passenger side bay. When one wants to change out the primary fuel filter can it be done from underneath the rig or do I need to open up the engine bay top side and get to it from there. I really would rather not have to deal with a lot of diesel fumes etc gettting into the back end of the coach as I have a very picky wife

I dont see a primer pump on the injector pump. Is there one on these systems?

Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Picky Wife

Is there a man who DOESN'T have a picky wife when it comes to diesel fumes in her bedroom?

The 350 is the same design as my 300 there probably isn't a way to do it any other way than from above.

I just did mine a few weeks ago:

Do what you got to do to get at the top of the block. But before you do anything else use a roll of painters tape and plastic sheeting to protect any areas where you might spill fuel. Hint: You WILL spill some, but it will most likely be on the block. What you don't want to do is get any on the carpet or anything else inside the bedroom.

FREEZER BAGS! I used freezer bags to get the new pre-filled filter into the bedroom. I double bagged it. I also used freezer bags to get the old filter out of the coach. Tools & used rubber gloves went in bags as well. Nothing that has diesel on it gets carried through the coach without being bagged.

Good luck with it!
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #3

I installed the fuel priming pump on my C-7. It cost about $80 and makes the filter changes a breeze.

You are not supposed to pre fill the filters, CAT even has little pictures on the new filters showing you are not to pre fill the filter.

Pre filling the filter puts unfiltered fuel into your injection pump and injectors. Not good.

Some will tell you that if you fill the filter, do it through the little holes and not the big center hole on the filter. That takes quite some time so pack a lunch.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
I do mine from below, but where I store my MOHO the yard drops off quickly behind the rear tires and I have room to stand up next to the engine. Also, if you don't have the primer pump I would do as Old Snipe suggested and add one. It's well worth the $80. It may be a good time to relocate the filter to a more accessible spot if you decide to add the primer. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
CAT C7
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Primer Pump

The CAT and Racor filters I got had instructions on how to pre-fill them.

I built a filter-funnel using a 30 micron filter and very carefully made sure that the fuel only went into the input side of either of the filters.

Frankly, it was a total PITA. I'd like more information about the primer pump if you got it. $80 seems like a good investment.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Old Snipe - Paul - What is the model/manufacturer and where did you get your pump?
Thanks
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
The CAT and Racor filters I got had instructions on how to pre-fill them.

I built a filter-funnel using a 30 micron filter and very carefully made sure that the fuel only went into the input side of either of the filters.

Frankly, it was a total PITA. I'd like more information about the primer pump if you got it. $80 seems like a good investment.

The primer was supplied on my engine from the factory, but when I was at the local CAT distributor getting filters they had one on display. It is the same mount you currently have for the filter with a hand priming pump on top. All you do is install both filters dry, unscrew the pump handle, cycle the handle until it becomes difficult to pump (all air is removed) and then screw the handle back in. Sorry I don't know the part number, but I'm sure any CAT dealer can provide it. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy
CAT C7
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Old Snipe - Paul - What is the model/manufacturer and where did you get your pump?
Thanks
Bob
I went to my local Freightliner dealer withmy engine serial number. They had it in stock. It attaches just above the filter, there is a plate with two bolts, you remove them and the gasket and bolt the pump in that place with a new supplied gasket.

It takes about 70 to 80 strokes (a stroke is about 3 inches) of the pump to fill a filter. A ten minute job to install the pump. 2 or 3 minutes to fill a filter.

I change the rear mounted fuel/water seperator filter first, pump it full and then start the engine. After a couple of minutes, I shut down the engine and change the secondary, engine mounted filter. Pump it full, start the engine and check for leaks. No leaks, done.

I figure replacing the fuel/water filter first, then running the engine pushes any debris into the secondary filter with clean filtered fuel. Then the secondary filter is replaced.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Paul, Thanks - I'll check with Freightliner next time I get into town. I only have one filter and have changed it several times without problem but one time of air in the lines would make me a believer so would like to reduce that chance. I'll add that hand pump. I have had difficulties with air in the lines on other diesels and that can be a PITA.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #10

A CAT tech that set the valve lash on my C-7 suggested I get the pump, which I did, and to buy a strap wrench that connects to 3/8ths extension. Bought one at Auto Zone for $5/6. Makes the filter removal and install very easy from the top.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just replaced mine today, its fairly easy access from under coach, Yea you might spill a little fuel, not enough to matter. Mine has primer but didn,t use it, access to primer requires removing floor panel, its easier to fill filter with fuel.
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #12

Filter

I have been installing my filters wet for the past 6 years with no problem. I purchased a tapered rubber plug from my local hardware store and insert it into the center hole with the threads to insure the fuel is filtered plus you cannot forget the plug because the filter wont thread on.
expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
My aft compartment on the right side has a access cover that can be removed to get to the primary filter, but the sealant to prevent water from getting in the area is costly.

Jroan
jroan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition1 View Post
I have been installing my filters wet for the past 6 years with no problem. I purchased a tapered rubber plug from my local hardware store and insert it into the center hole with the threads to insure the fuel is filtered plus you cannot forget the plug because the filter wont thread on.
Great idea
sevenmacs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel