Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #1

Procedures for draining water bowl

Ok,
So whilst camping (many glasses of FireBall later) I decided to drain the bowl on my fuel/water separator. I let a few ounces of liquid out and got back to some campfire watching.

Consider the previous text a spoiler.

When I went to leave my C9 took about 2x the amount of cranking time it typically needs and when she fired up she was a smokin. I don't mean a little. I mean, have you seen the 2500 HP Cummins at a tractor pull smoke. I needed to pull out and get to a place to hook up my Toad and did. I shut her off and went about my business of connecting my Toad while scratching my head. What the hell was going on. Got the Toad hooked up and fired her back up to get her warm. No smoke. I then remembered I had drained the bowl on the separator and that was the culprit.

Am I supposed to prime the system (using the priming pump) AFTER draining any fuel from the bowl? I am assuming, given what happened, that I should have.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chris, did you remember to close the filter drain? Some of that "Fireball" vapor you were breathing out could have gotten in there. That would do it! :-)

No, You dont you need to prime when you drain the fuel filter a little. Something else upset the C9. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:43 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Did you let it drain on the exhaust? that'll make her smoke.
Mikey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey143 View Post
Did you let it drain on the exhaust? that'll make her smoke.
Nay, was black smoke from engine. I see Rook's response, but I have to follow ye-olde cause and effect here. I opened the bowl for about 7 or 8 seconds, closed it. Then 2 days later when I fired her up there was a very long crank (like when I replace fuel filters) and a TON of smoke. If I were opening a really crappy disco that used black smoke, this would be the machine to use. I let her high idle for a few minutes, then drove about 200 feet. When I parked the smoke was less but still very evident. When I restarted a few moments later, no problem. The ONLY thing that was "atypical" was me opening the drain on the bowl.

When I open the drain on the bowl, is it drawing air somewhere to allow the fuel to drain, or is it "pulling" fuel from the tank to replace that which I am draining. My guess is that it is somehow allowing air into the filter or separator whilst draining. That air is causing the injectors to not work properly and hence the smoke.

Next time I drain ye-olde bowl I will prime first and see what happens. I am ready for my yearly maintenance and need to replace filter and separator anyways, so that test case will be a ways off.

Chris
Old 04-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I had a 97 ford 7.3 diesel truck, I would drain the water bowl into a bucket with the engine running. It would hiccup a little but never smoked. Is hard to tell if there is water in the bowl sometimes. Mine doesn't have a water sensor attached to the filter bowl. Thanks for the info.
Mikey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 3126B started blowing a large amount of bluish grey smoke and we found that I had an exhaust manifold leak caused,evidently,by a couple of studs breaking. It only did it on startup of a cold engine and once started didn't do it again. Now that I've had the exhaust manifold leak repaired and a new "S" pipe and crossover pipe installed,it pumps out a smaller cloud of really dark smoke on starting when cold. It seems to be blowing a bit less now,but it's still pretty dark.It seems as if the engine start lite stays on longerand mebbee she's overfueling on the start.
I also had a good amount of blowby after having it serviced at the CAT shop in Fife. They put 22 qts in her and she just didn't appreciate that. Now,even though we sucked about 3 qts out, she's still blowing a bunch out the slobber tube.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:59 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Next time you check the water separator use a shot glass. Like on air craft that is all you need to drain to see if you have water and then need further inspection if there is. My 3126 will belch a black smoke cloud once in a while, but just a very short time.

LEN
Old 05-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
My 3126B started blowing a large amount of bluish grey smoke and we found that I had an exhaust manifold leak caused,evidently,by a couple of studs breaking. It only did it on startup of a cold engine and once started didn't do it again. Now that I've had the exhaust manifold leak repaired and a new "S" pipe and crossover pipe installed,it pumps out a smaller cloud of really dark smoke on starting when cold. It seems to be blowing a bit less now,but it's still pretty dark.It seems as if the engine start lite stays on longerand mebbee she's overfueling on the start.
I also had a good amount of blowby after having it serviced at the CAT shop in Fife. They put 22 qts in her and she just didn't appreciate that. Now,even though we sucked about 3 qts out, she's still blowing a bunch out the slobber tube.

Have you had your valves lashed? Helped my smoke when cold condition (not the one in this thread).

Chris

Tags
water