Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Man, Scott! right when I think I've got things covered you come up with additional tasks. You're exhaust wrap turned out looking factory OEM as usual!. We're you able to use that Pak Brake lube and cut your fan shroud cleaning window yet?

I'm trying to slow Cindy's "Reserve America Habit" down a little so I can swap out my filters and move the 1R0741 that's mounted to the engine to the back above the water separator.

We miss you three!
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
impressive
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
Man, Scott! right when I think I've got things covered you come up with additional tasks. You're exhaust wrap turned out looking factory OEM as usual!. We're you able to use that Pak Brake lube and cut your fan shroud cleaning window yet?

I'm trying to slow Cindy's "Reserve America Habit" down a little so I can swap out my filters and move the 1R0741 that's mounted to the engine to the back above the water separator.

We miss you three!
Hey Ron,
Well, like stated, I noticed the old original stuff hanging down, dragging on the road, in pieces, when we were backed in, from our last, 4K mile trip. So, I went to work on the remedy. Now, what the picture shows is, that pipe is wrapped quite a bit farther, on each end, than it was originally. It probably doesn't matter but, that's the way I did it. And yep, I did use the e-brake lube. As for the "access port" that's to be cut into the top part of the shroud, nope, not done yet. It's on the agenda.

I just finished rebuilding my tow bar today. We're heading to San Diego for Thanksgiving. So, I had to get some things done. That exhaust wrap was the top priority. As soon as we get back here, I attack the air dryer.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
FIRE UP, Hi TeJay here. It's good to read some of your posts. You did a nice job on that project. It's always great when confronted with these type of jobs. At first we mostly say "UGH, not another tough job to tackle." Then after we conquer it we say, "Hey that wasn't to bad after all and look at the $$$$ I saved." It's also the satisfaction of beating the system.

I ran across a type of simple liquid wrench formula a few years ago. You may already know about it but maybe others don't. Mix a 50/50 solution of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. They won't stay mixed but I've got a small jar of it and simply shake it up and put it into a small spray bottle. Lab tests have been done comparing it to all the other brands of liquid wrenches and this works way better than any of them.

I didn't know about it when I was still teaching automotive so I've not had to many chances to use it.

The TOAD wiring is still doing great. Again many thanks!!!

Nice Job well done

TeJay
Old 11-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
FIRE UP, Hi TeJay here. It's good to read some of your posts. You did a nice job on that project. It's always great when confronted with these type of jobs. At first we mostly say "UGH, not another tough job to tackle." Then after we conquer it we say, "Hey that wasn't to bad after all and look at the $$$$ I saved." It's also the satisfaction of beating the system.

I ran across a type of simple liquid wrench formula a few years ago. You may already know about it but maybe others don't. Mix a 50/50 solution of automatic transmission fluid and acetone. They won't stay mixed but I've got a small jar of it and simply shake it up and put it into a small spray bottle. Lab tests have been done comparing it to all the other brands of liquid wrenches and this works way better than any of them.

I didn't know about it when I was still teaching automotive so I've not had to many chances to use it.

The TOAD wiring is still doing great. Again many thanks!!!

Nice Job well done

TeJay

Hey Tejay,
How the heck is ya? Hope all is well. Thanks for the nice comments on the project. You're absolutely correct. I've looked at so many projects ahead of time on this big beast and said to myself, "self, you're not going to like this one". Well, so far, non of them have defeated me. Many have been a pain, that's for sure. Now, as for the acetone and auto tranny fluid, I've seen and read about that mix years ago.

I too have not had a chance to try it out on anything. I've read a few misc. reports of tests of penetrating oils and, many claim they have great success. Well, I was lead to "Kroil" a few years ago so, I purchased a couple of cans of it, one spray and one spout. And so far, not one of any penetrating oil has EVER WORKED in freeing up frozen or, rusted nuts and bolts. I've broke off, every one I've ever tried any fluids on.

Most of time, I don't have "days" to let that stuff supposedly work. I've got maybe a few hours when working on projects so maybe, if I knew about a frozen nut/bolt on a project that I'd be working on in 6 months, I'd start now, and once a week, re-apply either the Kroil or, the acetone/ATF mix and see if that helps, being subjected to it for that long, before putting wrenches on them. Who knows? Good to hear from you.
Scott
Old 11-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #20

Scott,

Follow hot rodders to a speed shop. They carry the glass heat wrap you are looking for.
Mialco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #21

I have been racing turbo charged cars for about 20 years. Im very familiar with this wrap. Just a FYI.. A trick we used to do with the exhaust wrap was to wet it down with water. This would allow for us to pull tighter on the material, resisted unraveling as you worked with it and kept the itching from the material down.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieL View Post
I have been racing turbo charged cars for about 20 years. Im very familiar with this wrap. Just a FYI.. A trick we used to do with the exhaust wrap was to wet it down with water. This would allow for us to pull tighter on the material, resisted unraveling as you worked with it and kept the itching from the material down.
LouieL,
I appreciate that advice. My son, whose wrapped a few exhaust pipes on motor cycles also advised to pre-soak it before wrapping it. Well, I got to goofing around with it and seeing what it looked like on that pipe and, well, it just kept going and, before I knew it, I was done wrapping it. I never got a chance to pre-wet it.

We just finished a trip, from our home in Lake Havasu to San Diego and back. A grand total of right 556 miles. I'd climbed some grades and surely warmed things up a bit on that exhaust pipe and, when I got back here to Lake Havasu, I parked the big beast in it's cave and, crept under there to see how my wrap job looked.

I looked as is I'd just done it that morning. No burn markings, no looseness, nothing. Must have done something right. And, by the way, I did have just a tad bit of "itchiness" after I got done with the project but, not too bad.
Scott
Old 04-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Scott you got me motivated to redo my exhaust pipe. Now to get someone to help hold it while reinstalling it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429305275.470727.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	91741
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
It's now drying in the sun.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
It's now drying in the sun.
You know,
I probably should have wetted mine down prior to wrapping the pipe for better results and, less possibilities of fiberglass infiltration into the skin etc. But, it came out fine. And, it appears yours did too. Nice work.
Scott

Tags
parts