Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #1

Radiator Clamps Popping

Hello, I recently bought a Gulfstream DP motorhome with a Cat C7 engine. I am no mechanic, learning a bit every day, but still lots to learn. Here is what has happened so far. On the road, getting low voltage, reduced power, overheating. A clamp on a radiator hose blows, coolant all over the road. Mechanic found a belt that broke, apparently due to the ac compressor seizing. Belt replaced, refilled with coolant. Mechanic says they let the engine run for hours, no issues. On the way home, the clamp pops again. They tighten it up, refill coolant, I am on my way. After another few miles, another clamp pops from another radiator hose, I am able to limp home. I have tightened up that clamp, refilled with coolant, ran the engine in my driveway, no clamps popping. The coolant did shoot out of the top of the reservoir, but I assumed that was because it was a bit overfilled. Mechanic will take another look tomorrow, but I could use some opinions about the cause for the clamps popping. If it is just loose clamps, that would be great, but I assume there is excessive pressure.
Your ideas are welcome.
Thanks,
Mike
mmccarvill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Has the radiator pressure cap been changed ?
Sounds like the coolant system is over pressurizing, a defective cap can cause this , there are other possibilities ; leaking head gasket due to the first overheating.
There is a chemical test to check for combustion chamber gasses in the coolant.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:50 AM   #3

Could be stuck t/stat. Hope it's not the head gasket
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:53 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

Has the radiator pressure cap been changed ?
Sounds like the coolant system is over pressurizing, a defective cap can cause this , there are other possibilities ; leaking head gasket due to the first overheating.
There is a chemical test to check for combustion chamber gasses in the coolant.
X-2, Very good advice! Radiator cap first thing! Then if still doing the same, have the other things mentioned checked, thermostats could be bad? Hopefully it won't be a leaking head gasket!
Rail!
PS, they did not replace the clamps that popped? Replace the bad clamps also!
Old 05-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #5

Radiator plugged up?
Dyno Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:02 AM   #6

I don't know that I have ever heard of the clamps breaking like that. What kind of clamps are on your coach? They should be the heavy duty kind as in the picture. If they are the normal automotive screw type clamps you might want to have all of them changed out.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1433073741.019283.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	95744
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:14 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
You mentioned low voltage and reduced power. Did it run ok on the way home from the mechanic?

Tags
radiator