Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The 3126 and the later C7 are both parent bore designs. There is no sleeve as designed. The block can be bored to accept a sleeve kit as a repair for a heavily scored cylinder. Can't do that in frame however.
I actually saw this (just one cylinder) being done at Colton Truck Terminal in Colton, CA. It was a C7 and a company came out and backed their van up to the coach and pulled out a boring machine. Bored one cylinder and re-sleeved it right in the coach. The machinist/tech said it saves quite a bit in labor costs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1938.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	118694  
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #16

cat engine

Seems to me you should pull the head and look at piston and cylinder walls to see whanichat really happened.Could be broken rings,a hole in piston or the piston got hot and burned down on one area.If you are lucky you might get away with a new piston,rings and a rod bearing.I have don this on several engines,gas and diesel.heavy truck mechanic 45 years..pullit down and check it out.
ronster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They pulled the oil filter, split it open and there was a lot of glitter in it. Then they pulled the pan, drained the oil and the oil plug was covered in tiny glitters of metal also. They said the turbo and injectors were good, but #5 cylinder was smooth and shiny. The computer showed 194 faults of overheating starting around 60K miles, so that means that in spite of a good oil sample when I bought the MH, it was already on its way down and I think the PO dumped it on the dealer with out saying it had any problems.
Oh well, I still love it, just can't take it over any mountains in the summer.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #18

Ringhaver in Gibsonton Florida replaced our for about 19K out the door.
Ours was sand blasted due to a blown out air filter sucking dirt into the engine. That included engine, turbo, and a few injectors.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:49 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm still checking several other places, but here's what I've got so far.
1. my local guy is looking for a good used RV engine and is hoping that he can do the whole thing for $13-15K. 2. Cat in Fife gave me a price of about $24K plus tax, but didn't say run ready or long block. $14 for the engine and $10k for labor.
3. Another local outfit said that he could do either a long block or ready run from Jasper rebuilt for about $19k for long block total and $21-22k for ready run. 1 year complete warranty on long block and 2 years on the ready.
I guess that for the CAT engines, you have to take it to a CAT dealer for warranty work and the Jasper is a percentage if at a non installing shop and 100% at an installing dealer.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:09 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I'm still checking several other places, but here's what I've got so far.
1. my local guy is looking for a good used RV engine and is hoping that he can do the whole thing for $13-15K. 2. Cat in Fife gave me a price of about $24K plus tax, but didn't say run ready or long block. $14 for the engine and $10k for labor.
3. Another local outfit said that he could do either a long block or ready run from Jasper rebuilt for about $19k for long block total and $21-22k for ready run. 1 year complete warranty on long block and 2 years on the ready.
I guess that for the CAT engines, you have to take it to a CAT dealer for warranty work and the Jasper is a percentage if at a non installing shop and 100% at an installing dealer.
Have you tried Peterson CAT in Eugene? It's an excellent shop and motor home savvy.

No sales tax could save you some money and Peterson has a shop in Longview, WA, where you could go for warranty work, if any.

We live in Sequim and I'm using Peterson CAT in Eugene for all my engine service. They did the valve lash for $500 and threw in a oil change with filters for free.

Great shop and people.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Peterson Cat in Medford replaced the engine in mine and I am very satisfied with the work.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
THANK YOU, BOTH. Yes, that's yelling. I forgot about them. I will be giving the one in Longview a call tomorrow.

COCO Dave, since you live in Sequim, would you happen to know a friend of mine, Ed Evans.

Also, sometime when you're in the area,we'll have to have coffee.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
THANK YOU, BOTH. Yes, that's yelling. I forgot about them. I will be giving the one in Longview a call tomorrow.
COCO Dave, since you live in Sequim, would you happen to know a friend of mine, Ed Evans.
Also, sometime when you're in the area,we'll have to have coffee.
I don't know Ed but I do drink coffee.

Best,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Checked with Peterson Cat in Portland and a running engine will be around $34K including labor , but no sales tax. and a long block is $10K plus about $15k plus for labor.
Can't for the heck of it figger how it's more for pulling the engine out straight down and putting it back in can be $17K in labor. That engine is just about complete with turbo,injectors,manifolds,water pump and pulleys all installed and only needs to have the alternator,AC compressor,hydraulic pump moved over and then reinstalled.
One Cat shop said that they would have to put it up on jacks and then drop the engine. Holy cow, North Star here in Bremerton has TWO full size hoists and can lift a 45' MH and is only $85 an hour for labor.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
That's a lot more than Peterson Cat in Medford charged me - as I mentioned in post 2.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks as if the engine, long block, is about the same, but there is a difference of about $7K in labor.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:16 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
I don't remember specifically but think the labor rate was $120. There may be some difference in the access to the engine in your RV but I wouldn't there would be a big difference. On mine they lifted the RV on "special" jacks at all four wheels and dropped the engine out the bottom. Hope you can get the cost down to a more reasonable number.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Cat guy in Fife called and left a message about long and short blocks, but no prices. He also said that he has an inquiry out about a take out engine. Talking to him tomorrow.
I think I need a REALLY stiff drink.

Tags
cat