Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Run the Overhead

After reading a few threads above adjusting the valve lash, Today, I took my MH to the Cat dealer to have it done to my C-12 engine.

Turns out this is called "Running The Overhead" and it is a three part process.

1. Adjust the valve lash.
2. Adjust the pre-load on the injectors.
3. Adjust the engine compression brake slave (jake brake)

Total Cost was $ 291.00

They showed me another customer's C-12, that was disassembled prior to overhauling. If you don't keep the valves adjusted, performance is down and there is a lot of wear and tear going on, that shouldn't be.

photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Good information, but I have a few questions.

How do I know if I have a C-12 or is this for all CAT's.

How many miles for the check and or tune-up.

Thanks in-advance...

Old 06-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
<< How do I know if I have a C-12 or is this for all CAT's. How many miles for the check and or tune-up. >>

Don't know about other models.

The Engine model and serial number are on the rear of the engine if you have side radiatiors. If you did not get the books with your coach, try to find the engine serial number and have a Cat house look it up on their computer system. If you bought the Cat used, the serial number can tell you what maintenance has been done before you owned it.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:38 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to JayLodge
I just bought a 2006 tour this winter; has a C-7 engine. The previous owner did a great job of keeping all documentation. When I took it to my local freightliner dealer, and they plugged in the VIN, the computer even flagged a recall that was due on it/ had not been done. Although I haven't taken the time to really study mine, I'm pretty good w/ manuals, so I'd appreciate being kept in the loop on any issue you have to address. Thanks.
JayLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoadjuste View Post

Total Cost was $ 291.00

They showed me another customer's C-12, that was disassembled prior to overhauling. If you don't keep the valves adjusted, performance is down and there is a lot of wear and tear going on, that shouldn't be.

Humm. sounds like you are saying 291 now 2910 later (or more)
Old 06-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
All Cat need the overhead run on schedule

Confirmed with the Cat House that all model's of Cat engines should have the overhead run as per the schedule in each model's maintenance manual.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoadjuste View Post
After reading a few threads above adjusting the valve lash, Today, I took my MH to the Cat dealer to have it done to my C-12 engine.

Turns out this is called "Running The Overhead" and it is a three part process.

1. Adjust the valve lash.
2. Adjust the pre-load on the injectors.
3. Adjust the engine compression brake slave (jake brake)

Total Cost was $ 291.00

Gosh, $291.00 for all that, what a deal. Wish I could get my C7 done for that. I've called 2 different Cat dealers and they both quoted "approximately $450, more or less depending on how hard it is to get to the engine". Yeh, raise the bed, remove 4 bolts, and lift off the engine cover, which I can do in less than 10 minutes.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G, Cat C-7 330 HP
Old 06-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Fair price to pay

Running the overhead is almost all labor. The only parts required in a new valve cover gasket.

Since the Cat House charges by the hour, I picked up a roll of plastic 3 x 50 and rolled it out in the coach. I also removed the mattress, so the bed platform was light weight. I tried to make it so there was no wasted time that I would be charged for.