Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #29

Correct , no ( or not enough ) pressure in the system the compressor won't be activated.
The lubricant for the compressor circulates with the refrigerant , so not enough; or lack of; refrigerant there is the danger of seizing the compressor. You were able to turn your compressor by hand so your ok as far as that's concerned.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 03:36 PM   #30

If you have a Harbor Freight Tools nearby you can buy an A/C manifold gauge set for about $60. If it's so low that the air is not cool at all, then pick up several cans of freon, they're about $6 a can. Go to YouTube and look up R134A charging and you'll find tons of videos that will show you what you need to do. Easy.

AC Gauges - Save on this AC Manifold Gauge Set

Old 07-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #31

Hi Skip426;
You are a really great source of information. I have just started following this thread as I have a 98 Dutch Star on FL chassis and 3126B Cat which I have owned since 2005 that has never failed me but now it has the same No Start problem. I usually keep the fuel- tank close to full during non use, My last use was October. I usually park it while it is hot and have not been starting during the winter without having any problems starting the following May.
Priming pump indicates lots of pressure. Problem is I don't have any codes. I found the diagnostic Engine Check light & switch dangling on a cable under the dash but no such light on the dash information display. So far I have checked fuses and got to disconnecting the Injection Actuation Pressure Sensor but still no start. I am now wondering how I can check the ECM to see if it is alive. Nearest Cat dealer is in Lethbridge about 60 km away. Will the 1000 psi gauge help me if the engine is not running? I certainly could use help. Thanks

Bill 16684
16684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:50 PM   #32

Bill, sorry you're having this problem too, and that the disconnecting of the sensor didn't get you going.
ECM battery fuse ; 20 amp; is in line between the battery and the ECM, mine was relocated by a previous owner, so I can't say what the original location was. There is a 4 wire connector within 8>10" of the ECM, 2 wires are battery power , fed by the 20 amp fuse, the others are ground wires , so check those for zero ohms to ground.
I haven't tested this out, but I read somewhere that if you get the momentary flash of the " wait to start light" when the key is first turned on , the battery power to the ECM is good.
I don't know how high the boosted oil pressure gets from the HUIE pump during cranking , but I'd think it would be 600+ psi. I'll see if any documents I have give details.
If you need any further info , please send me a " Personal Message " by clicking on my name in the top left corner of this post. I just about missed your post here.

Tags
cat, dutch star, newmar