Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Hi Scott,
By nature I'm a proactive vs reactive person and do almost all my own maintenance including oil changes. Other than oil changes being cheep, is there a benefit to doing twice a year changes?

Last year we put around 16k miles on our DS and have always changed the oil yearly in this and our last DP. Typically every 2-3 months we go somewhere and living in SW FL the trips are always far away. Tallahassee next week as our youngest graduates FSU and then Bar Harbor MA a month after that.

My reasoning is the acid build up in the oil takes time and we don't have her sitting around for more than a couple months.

Enjoy
Lenny,
Skip and others on here are far more of an expert than I am. I'm just one who believes that frequent oil changes, especially on engines that face such hard duty, like our C-7 that's stuffed into a rear engine bay, running at about as hot as one can get with minimal cooling ( we all know that rear engine cooling is by far, not a good plan). My thoughts are, if that engine gets pushed that hard, why not treat it to at least some clean oil at intervals that are basically ahead of schedule? We sit up front, in our quiet, pleasant A/C atmosphere while that engine is working its guts out.

I have never sent any oil in for an analysis but, I definitely should.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Scott, thanks for your post. My non-diesel background clearly shows but I am learning thanks to you and others who willingly share your knowledge.

I understand dirty oil but diesel oil is always dirty - at least that is what FL told me after I asked why my new oil after the change was just as dirty as the old oil was.

Can you and/or others clarify this for me?

Do I need to have the engine flushed next month. I asked for it last year but FL said the seals in my engine were old (12 years) and they did not recommend doing it.

Changing twice a year doesn't bother me if it will help keep my unit running smoothly. I've spent a ton this first year but have more confidence in my DP now than when I bought it.

We now have an Altorfer Service Center here in Springfield. I had them do the turbo replacement earlier this year. Should I use them to do the oil change and then FL do the rest of my annual service - they do have a couple of techs who are DP Knowledgeable?

Thanks for your info - Richard
Richard,
You've been answered by more qualified experts than me. Yes, engines don't drain ALL the oil that's been put in. It's always amazed me that, in many gas engines, you can replace the dirty oil and, the new oil will actually remain clean for quite some time. It will get dirty but, not nearly as early as fresh oil installed in diesel engine. The acids and potential moisture from storing it, can contaminate that oil and cause issues. So, a frequent change is my answer.

Now, as for WHO does it, well, that's entirely up to you. I do, always have done, and most likely will continue doing my own oil changes on everything I own. It's not all that hard, even on my diesel. Especially since I installed that Fumoto valve that allows for precise controlled oil flow from the oil pan, into milk jugs or whatever you choose. What a kick in the but.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #16

Where do you buy oil for your C7 engine? I went to camping world and they don’t stock it.
Kmdr Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmdr Crunch View Post
Where do you buy oil for your C7 engine? I went to camping world and they don’t stock it.
I have a Cummins and buy Valvoline which is what Cummins recommends and buy it at either Discount Auto, Advanced or Autozone as it usually goes on sale at one of those places. Prices can vary by 5-6 bucks/gallon.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #18

I change my truck oil every 5k miles which works out to be twice a year. I use Rotella 5W40 synthetic from Walmart and return my used oil there. I will send in a oil sample every 20k miles to Blackstone for analysis just to monitor the engine health (almost like a blood sample test).
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #19

I buy mine at sams club Delo 15 40 cat filters at cat dealer.

Tags
service