Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #1

Shell Rotella ELC is not the same as CAT ELC and can't be mixed!?

I'm about to replace the old green coolant in my MH with Extended Life Coolant. Since I have a CAT engine, I wanted the CAT ELC but it was not locally available so I bought the Shell Rotella ELC. All indications where that it is the same stuff (as Cat ELC).

Then I come across this article: https://www.rvtechmag.com/tech/27_coolants.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by article linked to above
OAT coolants are compatible with just about anything so you can use the same stuff for your engine as well as your generator. They are also cross-brand compatible. Peak's Final Charge coolant is an organic acid coolant and is currently used by Spartan in their chassis. Cummins' Fleetguard Division originally made an OAT coolant called Optimax but this has now been rebranded as ES Compleat OAT extended life coolant. Caterpillar offers it's own Cat ELC coolant, which also uses hybrid OAT technology. All three of these are 100% compatible so if you can't find one brand, you can go into any truck dealership and pick up one of the others at the parts counter. The majority of the OAT coolants are orange in color, although this can vary, so color alone won't determine OAT status. Shell's Rotella ELC coolant is more of a red in color. It too is an extended life coolant that can go 600,000 miles. However, it is not a true OAT coolant so don't go mixing this with any of the other brands of OAT coolants.
If this is correct, then I'm bummed out. This would mean I can only use Rotella coolant to top up or replace lost coolant (like when replacing a hose or water pump, etc.). If I'm on the road and need service - I need to be sure the shop has (only uses) Rotella ELC.
Is this true?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #2

I guess I need to figure this out (as I have not made the switch yet).
I got the ELC in the blue gallon jugs.

Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Coolant-Antifreeze | Shell ROTELLA®

The page above has this statement
Quote:
Shell ROTELLA® ELC AFC – A premium, nitrited ELC in service as factory fill and service fill for over 15 years in a wide variety of engines and equipment. The nitrite ELC hybrid chemistry meets Caterpillar EC-1 requirements.
but i'm not sure which coolant that statement refers to (the blue jug I hope).

EDIT: It looks like the Blue colored jug is the "CAT EC-1 approved" stuff from what I've been able to find out on the Shell site. So I should be go to go ahead with my coolant swap project this weekend.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #3

this is what i switched too.
boyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #4

Mike, I would go ahead and make the change to the Rotella. Make sure you get the system to operating temp before dumping old coolant, and flush until clear water is present. Make sure you also drain the block at the block drain. If you ever have a problem on the road the Rotella product is available at any truck stop parts store nationwide no problem.

I did the change to to the Chevron Delo product have been using that product for years so I also trust it

Also if you stated earlier about the correct product call Ring Power Caterpillar and talk to them for clarification for the correct product to use.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #5

I'm satisfied I have the correct coolant now after finding/reading the Rotella "coolant choice chart".

My plans for this weekend's coolant replacement are:

1) Get engine hot and drain coolant from radiator, block and Aqua-Hot (and chassis heater core/lines).

2) Fill with Distilled water and 1 gallon CAT Cooling System Flush (CAT 4C-4611). Run engine to hot then drain the Distilled water and flush mix

3) Change the "SCA dispenser/filter" to a "non-charged" Water filter (WIX 24070).

4) Refill with 50/50 of Rotella ELC and Distilled water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shell Rotella coolant chart.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	185124  
Old 12-11-2017, 03:42 PM   #6

I got everything ready to do the coolant swap.

I even bought the AirLift https://www.tooltopia.com/uview-5500...BoCAQYQAvD_BwE

It turns out the Air Lift tool will not work on the surge tank as mounted. There is not enough clearance between coach body and surge tank filler cap to get the tool installed.

I'll need to unbolt the Surge tank and lower it about 6 inches to use the tool.
Oh well, no one said coach maintenance was going to be easy.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:31 PM   #7

I don't know if you are going to use a cleaner or not but when I did my Ford 6.0 that holds 7 gallons of coolant I used this
https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/r...mpaign=product
Then I used this
https://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/r...oductDetail.do
and went through 52 gallons of distilled water then I got some pool test strips to check the distilled water coming out at the end. The Restore product from Cummins is an acid, so you want the water good enough to drink, 7.0 on the strip.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:05 AM   #8

I have one gallon of the CAT Cooling System Cleaner (p/n 4C-4611).
The plan is to drain green coolant, refill with distilled water + cleaner, then drive around awhile, come back drain that and refill with 50/50 ELC + distilled water.

Or I could use "tap water" with the cleaner added after draining the green, then drive around and come back and drain the tap then add distilled water and drive around some more, then drain that - do you think I need two flushes before going to the ELC?

I have 8 gallons of concentrated ELC and 24 gallons of distilled water to work with. Cooling system holds 16 gallons according to manual.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I have one gallon of the CAT Cooling System Cleaner (p/n 4C-4611).
The plan is to drain green coolant, refill with distilled water + cleaner, then drive around awhile, come back drain that and refill with 50/50 ELC + distilled water.

Or I could use "tap water" with the cleaner added after draining the green, then drive around and come back and drain the tap then add distilled water and drive around some more, then drain that - do you think I need two flushes before going to the ELC?

I have 8 gallons of concentrated ELC and 24 gallons of distilled water to work with. Cooling system holds 16 gallons according to manual.
Just me but I would not use tap water because of the minerals in the water. I would do min 2 distilled flushes. After I did each restore flush I did 5 distilled coolant flushes until my pool strips came out good. I also removed the t/stat so the water would move quicker without getting to temp to open the t/stat. When I did the restore flushes I placed cardboard in front of radiator because it had to get to 180deg+ for the restore to work drove each time for an hour watching my Edge CTS. I used 1/4 tank of fuel and took me about 10hrs.
Good luck on your flush
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:59 PM   #10

"4) Refill with 50/50 of Rotella ELC and Distilled water."

If you are going to use pre mixed 50/50 coolant any additional distilled water added will reduce the protection. Check your book to determine the capacity of your system measure, then measure the actual amount of coolant you can drain out of the system. The diffidence is the amount of full strength coolant that will need to be added to maintain 50/50 mix. In other words if you have a 10 gallon system and can only drain 7 gallons you are leaving 3 gallon in the system. Assuming that 3 gallons is your flush water, you will need to add 3 gallons of full strength coolant, and then you can add the pre mixed 50/50 coolant.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:59 AM   #11

Good reminder. Thanks.

I bought the concentrate (its about the same price as premixed, but you get two gallons of 50/50 out of one gallon of concentrate, so its the much cheaper way to buy).

Tags
cat