Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #15

The Official Source for Cat Manuals: Service Manuals, Maintenance Manuals, Repair Manuals they have right manual for $ , just input Ser # and it finds right manual.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Boy,that's sure easy enuff.. Will try them.

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1) found my manual,it was in with a whole bunch of Cat, Allison and Freightliner stuff in a plastic envelope in a cvompartment with some stuff I hadn't seen before.'s gonna be required reading before the next trip.
2) Googled Cat 3126B injector sensor problems. Found another Cat Forum run by a Cat tech and from 2010 was a thread where they were talking about the fact that dirty oil can cause a injector sensor fault. It is entirely possible that that could be my case as I just got back from a 3500 mile trip and I'm right at the mileage for an oil change. Well,actually a bit light as the book for a MH engine says 1 year or 12,000 miles and not 10,000. That could also be the cause for my low mileage as it can cause low power.yway,I've got an appouintment for 9 AM Monday at the Cat dealer foromputer read and I may just have him go ahead with an LOF.

I have refinanced the house to pay for it.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #18

Dog,

There is a third oil change interval criteria besides the two you mentioned. That is change oil after 1100 gallons of fuel burned. If you get 7.5 mpg that means change is required at less than 8000 miles. If you don't find that in your manual a call to Cat Tech Support would confirm it. 7.5 mpg is pretty common. My Operation and Maintainance Manual Page 115 Under PM Level 1 lists the 1100 Gallons of fuel burned or 11,000 miles for oil and filter change. This Manual is for KAL 1-Up (Engine).

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I love these forums..you learn so much from folks who are more than happy to help you. Yes, I am over the 8k and a couple of the trips were to the dusty SW, well Vegas and S.D.. Top that off with a bad air filter for K don't know how many miles and the oil could be really dirty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130428_092304.png
Views:	61
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	37746
Old 04-29-2013, 03:50 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
I think you are finding the root of your problem, that air filter is coming apart! No wonder your kitty is sick........LOL
Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #21

Dog,

Have you driven your coach after replacing that filter. It could be all that is wrong and a visit to the Cat shop may not be needed.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced the filter before we went on the trip. I put 3200 on the MH on the trip. That's what happens when your filter gets wet. I'm looking for something like a large dryer vent to mount on the front edge of the outside air intake or me bee change the box so it takes the air from inside the body. I had noticed that when I drive in the rain that the little air filter thingy would go to full load and after running for a bit in the dry it would act normal.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok,here's what happened. Took her in the Cat shop at Fife,Wa and they are great. They put her on the computer and ran some tests and the test for the IAPVC valve came up ok till it hit the last test and then it showed an oil over pressure and reset and this is the valve that controls the flow to the HEIU pump. $184 parts and $160 labor and that was done. I also had them do the LOF while I had it in and they said that the oil was clear of any metals,etc.,but was VERY dirty and thick. The suggestion was for me to have a change at 3,000-3500 miles and then every 5K miles after that. They also noticed that the filter minder was pegged and they pulled the air fil;ter and said it was ok and reinstalled it. I told them that I was thinking about either rerouting the intake or installing a reverse hood scoop on the outside of the MH to keep water out and they said thatwas a good idea. in all,I was very happy with them and will be taking it back in the next couple of months for a valve adjustment that they say will help with the smoking and wil;l be due by then.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #24

Dog,

Glad to hear your experience with NC Machinery was like mine. I could not ask for better service and work than I got in their Mount Vernon shop.

Jim

Watching a beautiful sunset over Admiralty Inlet at Fort Casey State Park Campground.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey jim we're going to be at Port Townsend point Hudson over the 4th of July weekend uh give you a holler me bee we could meet up there.?

Tags
cat