Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sick Cat

I finally called the Cat help line and the guy there gave me the procedure to get the codes off of my 3126B.
1. I'm blowing some black smoke and a bit of oil out of the tube,but I'm not really using any oil.
2. Engine surges down a bit on starting and stopped a couple of times when cold,but started right up and ran ok.
3.Oil pressure and water temps are normal.

So here are the codes as I figgered them. I thought that I had the owners manual,but it seems as if it's the only one I don't have
1) 1-5
2) 3-9
3) 6-1

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
C3100 HEUI, 3116, 3126 & 3126B Engines
code 39 - Injector actuation pressure system fault
Code 15- Injector actuation pressure sensor erratic/short/open
Code 61- High Coolant Temperature Warning
I found this on the web, hope this helps you out,,,,,

Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So now all I have to do is to figger out exactly what that means. I know the overheat came as I was climbing up out of Pendleton Or eastbound on I-80. I'm not sure what the injector stuff is.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #4

The 3126 uses 3000psi oil as a booster to drive the fuel out of the injector. it appears you have an oil or fuel pressure sensor problem.

Don't know how the ECU interprets the data and adjusts. If it's a real problem and not just the sensor, you might have run the engine lean, or it's not atomizing the fuel well so it might not be burning completely.

Did the overheat occur before the other problems or after? It's a little early in the season for overheating!

there are some real CAT smart guys on the forum, hopefully someone will chime in.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The overheat was almost 1800 miles before the problem showed up and then the fuel system lights didn't show till the last 600 miles. That was up and over the Siskiyous on I-5 and then a bunch of 6% grades in southern Oregon and no overheating.
The guy at Cat suggested that since I was right at my 10k oil change interval, that I do that and change the fuel filters and see what happens after that.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As I understand it, it is impossible for a diesel engine to be run too lean, unlike a gas engine. The diesel just won't run unlike a gas engine which can be destroyed by a lean condition.
This info came from Banks Power when I installed the PowerPack on our ISC.
A diesel can be destroyed by on over rich condition (black smoke).
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #7

There is no lean/rich such as possible with a gas engine in a diesel engine. The amount of fuel injected determines the power produced.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #8

If you have any power adding module connected (like mp-8, etc) I would first disconnect that and see how it does. If it doesn't have a module my first thought would be a bad IAP sensor.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To the best of my knowledge there isn't any aftermarket stuff on this engine. If there is then it sure ain't working. That beast of mine only averaged 6.7 mpg on our trip to Las Vegas,San Diego and back and just doesn't seem to want to tow my Trailblazer w/o lugging down on the hills.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #10

I had a 15 error code that turned out to be a broken/inop pressure sender for the fuel system. Could only do 35MPH.
I had to raise the bed ,remove floor and remove sensor on top of engine,cat manual shows position of sensor,good luck
Old 04-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm lucky that I don't have to go thru the bed as my hatch is in the floor between the bed and the back closet. I'm going up in a bit to check my manuals again, but I think the Cat manual is the ONLY one I don't have.
I talked with the service guy at NC Machine in Five and he seems to think it'll be OK to bring it the 45 miles there.
There goes the money I had budgeted for replacing the sat dish.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #12

Find a manual (on the internet) if you can,the sensor is about $90.00 the labor they charge is the killer.
The sensor is right on top to the rear.
Easy to change if you have any mechanical ability.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #13

I have had work done at the NC Machinery shop in Mount Vernon and have been very happy with their work and their shop rate was reasonable. Last time I think it was about $110.00 per hour and the Tech (Eric Westlund) was a fast worker and really knew his stuff.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been to the cat shop in Fife before to have them download the computer and to check if I needed any updates and they did the whole thing for nothing. That's pretty good service.I looked around the shop and it was really laid out well and all the techs seemed to know what they were doing. I retired from an industrial laundry company, Overall, and have seen the inside of many shops and this one was impressive.
Which Cat manual is it that I want to get. I went online and found thewre are a whole bunch for that engine. Truck,bus and marine and then all the parts and service ones. I did find one that had some of the codes,but not the 39 and not the engine placement.

Tags
cat