Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
This was what I did on our 04 National Tropi Cal with the Cat C7. I used 3/4 in copper pipe to extend it behind the radiator

Attachment 8935
I did the same thing with mine but I extended more then you did, I went past the rock guard about two inches.
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #16

It seems to me just extending it back, while it might keep it out of the radiator, will not keep it off the towed that is pushing you down the road!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Firedoc
You add a bottle with cotton or steel wool in it to the end of the tube and it collects the vapor/fluid. When you service the vehicle you empty the bottle. There are threads about how to do this but it is simple and easy. This usually keeps the vapor from coating the tow vehicle.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:33 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
It seems to me just extending it back, while it might keep it out of the radiator, will not keep it off the towed that is pushing you down the road!
Once I calibrated the dip stick and started installing the correct amount of oil I had almost no actual oil coming out the slobber tube just smoke and since I stopped my extension just short of the rock guard anything that did come out seemed to stop at the rock guard.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
We have incountered several problems;;;in the past;; One is If you put anything on that collects the oil mist it will also attract some dirt in; And possable restrict air vent flow;; The oilcatch can was a standerd on all engines years ago; As the engines all had a lot of blowby;; It fastinates me how some people now think they have just discovered something great;.The first engines built had catch cans that had a tube that feed back into the crankcase; and the wool had to be washed out every oil change.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
If you have oil on your towed, are you overfilling the crankcase? The CAT C7 is 19 quarts.
I have owned two C7's (51,000 miles on my current one) and have never had oil on my towed.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojavaphil View Post
I had the radiator cleaned at Statkus Motors, Statkus Engines, Albuquerque, NM : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local. He recommended we install a small box over the slobber tube. It is an aftermarket product built specifically for the tube. It has a drain plug that is unscrewed at each oil change to drain it. He explained that just about anywhere you relocate the tube the mist will be sucked up by the fan and wind from driving, onto the radiator. He recommended that capturing the mist is the most effective prevention. I do not know the name of the company that makes the box and it was about $40 which included installation. Seemed like a great deal to me. Give Statkus a call for details. I only have 32,000 miles on the rig and I started having problems at about 25,000. No problems since Statkus did their magic.

I use Statkus Enginges and I asked him to attach the product that I think you are talking about. I saw it in the FMCA magazine. I have not had any problems since it was installed last year.Here is the information about it.
Oil Collector
The Oil Collector from Retractable Tow Curtain LLC helps protect the motorhome and towed vehicle from the oil spray that comes from the crankcase breather tube.
The Oil Collector includes a 6-inch-by-6-inch-by-4-inch tank that attaches directly to the crankcase breather tube, with a secondary breather tube coming out the other side. The collector can hold up to 18 ounces of atomized oil and should be drained each time the motorhome’s oil is changed.
The Oil Collector has a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $29.95 plus shipping.
Retractable Tow Curtain LLC
3255 W. Lone Cactus Drive
Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 512-9779
The Original Retractable Tow Curtain. Motor Home Accessory
pg87111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK you asked for it. This is a high tech solution. On my ISC the slobber tube is about a 1/2 inch hose hanging down beside the oil filter. Take a small peanut butter jar, drill hole in center of lid to enable slobber tube to pass throught it. Push lid a couple of inches up the tube, place hose clamp on the end of the slobber tube below lid and tighten. With a soldering iron melt 4 or more 1/2 inch holes near the top of the peanut butter jar up close to the threads. You need enough holes to ensure you don't cause a back pressure. Now take part A, (peanut butter jar) and screw onto Part B (the lid). Presto slobber tube fixer. I clean mine out once a year at service time. About 1 TBSpoon of oil will accumulate.

BOX OR JAR, THIS IS THE FIX.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg87111 View Post
I use Statkus Enginges and I asked him to attach the product that I think you are talking about. I saw it in the FMCA magazine. I have not had any problems since it was installed last year.Here is the information about it.
Oil Collector
The Oil Collector from Retractable Tow Curtain LLC helps protect the motorhome and towed vehicle from the oil spray that comes from the crankcase breather tube.
The Oil Collector includes a 6-inch-by-6-inch-by-4-inch tank that attaches directly to the crankcase breather tube, with a secondary breather tube coming out the other side. The collector can hold up to 18 ounces of atomized oil and should be drained each time the motorhome’s oil is changed.
The Oil Collector has a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $29.95 plus shipping.
Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 512-9779
The Original Retractable Tow Curtain. Motor Home Accessory

Amen, Good Medicine!
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Sharing opions and experiances;This is great;;, Mixing the old with the new;; My first car was a 1929 chev, sudan, next 1933 chev coup, With the rumble seat; What menories ;; Any way oil/vaper blowby is not a new thing just discovered;; On those old chevs. that had a splash system oilflew everywhere; Theoil filler was on top of the valvecover And it was also the breather Which would slobber oil out over the engine, And when we were lucky to park it in the garage it left a puddle of oil;; And A mad dad; It was not till later Maybe in the Late 1930s;; a mat of heavey Horse hair was made about 1 1/2 inches thick that covered the valves/layed on top of them, It drained most of the oil down on the tappets/rocker arms giving them oil and keeping the oil in the engine Later they,( 1954 Hyd lifters, Pressure system) they put the tube on the side of the engine with the filter catch on the vent tube. A lot of the things poping up on this forum were delt with years ago and are not a new thing; Just interesting to revist;; AS my memorie serves me I think it was in the early 1960 we were putting things on the engines to keep the EPA. happy somecrappy thing that was to reburn the vent fumes from the engine, And any unburned exhust gases; However it didnot affect the diesel engine; On a long haul on 3000 miles they would dump a large amount of oil in the air; But thats for another Thread; Life is good.. Sometimes we must look back to help us go forword in a better direction..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg87111 View Post
Oil Collector
Phoenix, AZ 85027
(623) 512-9779
FYI: I just spoke to Chuck from the above company....he is no longer in business. He said he has a small supply of the units in storage in Arizona, but he is not currently there. He may be back in AZ in a few weeks, but he didn't know for sure. He said he is the only one that manufactured them.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P.
FYI: I just spoke to Chuck from the above company....he is no longer in business. He said he has a small supply of the units in storage in Arizona, but he is not currently there. He may be back in AZ in a few weeks, but he didn't know for sure. He said he is the only one that manufactured them.

Craig
That is too bad. It has worked well for me. The economy has been hard on everyone
Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #27

That oil collector is nothing but a NEMA electrical box and a couple of barb fittings. you could get all at Home Depot or at worst from McMaster-Carr.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jiff peanut butter jar took care of mine empty about every 3000 thousand miles. Maybe 3 to 4 oz oil.
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote