Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2015, 07:23 AM   #1

Speedometer not starting at 0

1998 Harney on Magnum chassis with 300 CAT 3126B
When I turn the key, it sweeps full, then settles back to about 5 mph. Anyone run into this?
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2015, 09:14 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Does it read accurately from 5 mph up? If so, ignore it. Your needle could just be hung up. If it's accurate at above 5 mph, you'll have to decide it it's worth replacing to start at '0'.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:16 AM   #3

No. It seems 5 mph off. But then this morning I moved it over to the house, and it starts off reading under 0.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:33 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Compare it to the SPEED display on a GPS or Smart Phone with the speed sensor app running. (I have multiple speed sensors on my smart phone).

IF it's just not returning to zero.. You do not have a problem

if it's always 5MPH off.. You can fix the problem by making the adjustment mentally.

If its scatter plot you have a problem (Sometims high,sometimes low)
Go to a speedometr shop or... USE GPS/PHONE speedometer.Those are very very highly accurate plus/minus not enough to matter.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Does it read accurately from 5 mph up? If so, ignore it. Your needle could just be hung up. If it's accurate at above 5 mph, you'll have to decide it it's worth replacing to start at '0'.
No. The inaccuracy carries.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
A speedometer shop should be able to check and adjust the gauge for accuracy. Or, you could buy a new gauge and exchange it for the old one. Being electrical, a gauge going bad is not a difficult issue to solve.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #7

It could be the speedo for sure. But I suspect something electrical going on here. maybe in the speedo. I will keep an eye on it a bit longer and see if I learn anything else along the way.
Thanks for the suggestions all!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:28 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
It's an electrical gauge because you describe that it sweeps full range then settles back. Perhaps there's an electrical current feeding into the wires, but I'm not sure how you'd measure that or what it should be. You could try turning the ignition on and move wires about, seeing if it changes the needle to zero.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
These type of gauges are actually controlled by stepper motors. They are not like the old analog meters that moved the pointer base on some small amount of current.

The most common problem is that the stepper motor goes bad. It can be caused by binding.
Do a google search for "speedometer stepper motor" to see what they lok like.

They usually have 4 wires to control them and a special driver module that is computer controlled.

Regards,

Dan
Old 06-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
These type of gauges are actually controlled by stepper motors. They are not like the old analog meters that moved the pointer base on some small amount of current.

The most common problem is that the stepper motor goes bad. It can be caused by binding.
Do a google search for "speedometer stepper motor" to see what they lok like.

They usually have 4 wires to control them and a special driver module that is computer controlled.

Regards,

Dan
You know that does make sense. Of course the thing only has 25,000 miles on it. So it ought not be worn out! But I could see that being the issue.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
The initial sweep from maximum to minimum is to calibrate the stepper motor. Yours is not going to zero, so it is not accurately calibrating. If it were me, I'd pull the gauge and dismantle it to see if a piece of crud is preventing it from moving properly. If that didn't do it, well I'd have the gauge out and could replace it.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-02-2015, 02:52 PM   #12

I think I may do just that. I have a couple of weekends at races, and will address after that.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
I think I may do just that. I have a couple of weekends at races, and will address after that.
Plan on a two step process. first, find out what kind of stepper motor is used. Either remove the instrument cluster and see what is marked on the motor, or as the coach builder who makes his dash assembly.

Once you find the right stepper motor to order, you should be able to replace it.

the stepper motor is a combination of the motor and gears inside the same housing.
If you were real lucky, you might be able to take it apart and clean it.
It does sound like it is hung up and does not get calibrated.

The needle mechanics have nothing to do with the odometer, so you can replace just the motor.

Dan
Old 06-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #14

That's really great information. Harney isn't in business anymore, and Monaco doesn't always have all the information for Harney stuff. So taking it out is probably going to be the way to go.
Thank you!

Tags
speedometer