Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Turbo cool down time

I have a 300 HP cat turbo diesel, after driving on the highway and 60-65 mph for over an hour how long should you idle to make sure your turbo is cooled. Many campgrounds ask to turn off your engine while checking in. Is the few minutes and 3-5 miles back to the campground enough?
When you stop to eat from Interstate to parking lot in 3 minute how long should you idle before turn off and going in?
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
After running at hwy speeds I always cool the turbo for 5 minutes prior to shut down. I don't care what anyone says, turbo replacement isn't paid for by them.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
3-5 minutes does it for me. However most of the time it takes a while just to get into a CG so it cools down by the time I check in.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Is there any way to know if it has cooled down?
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywolf View Post
Is there any way to know if it has cooled down?
you could install a turbo diesel pyrometer.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #6

For what it's worth, guys. I have installed pyrometers on all my diesel engines. The C-9 in the Beaver, takes nearly 10 minutes to cool down from hiway speed 1000-1200 degrees, to 400 degrees. I never shut it off at rest areas for potty breaks, nor when checking into CG. Like was remarked before, I am the one who's got to pay for it if it gets coked because it was shut down to soon.

Dale
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #7

Wow I learn something every day. How many of you guys do this?
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:53 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
No expert here but I've been told that 3-5 minutes is sufficient time to cool the turbo and that includes driving to the campground. Thats what I do.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:30 AM   #9

I don't have a Cat, mine is a Cummins, but there are times when you cannot make a judgement on shut down based on time alone. The only way to have an idea is to use a pyrometer. It takes a little longer to cool down than what you may think.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
By the time you pull off the road onto side streets and get to the campground, check in, drive to your spot, level and slides out, your turbo is cool enough. Shut down.
Now if you are pulling into rest areas, fuel stops or parking lots to rest or boondock over night, give it 3-5 minutes to cool.
All of our CAT trucks and machines were set from the factory to automatically shut down after 5 minutes of idle. If that time is good enough for CAT engineers, it's good enough for everyone else.
We had CAT turn that feature off on most of ours.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #11

Coking turbo bearings

The main thing with a turbo is coking the bearings. Heat migrating from the turbine housing section and turbine into the shaft and bearing housing raise the temperature high enough to degrade or “coke” the remaining oil in the bearing housing after engine shutdown, and especially following a high load operation, evidenced by the buildup of carbonaceous deposits in the housing. This coked oil may form plugs in the bearing housing, preventing drainage and causing pooling of oil and at the same time preventing heat removal, leading to turbocharger failure.
This is one reason to switch to a Synthetic oil because it can take a lot more heat than dino oil. My 06 Ford PSD would get to 1300deg pulling our 14k 5er on a grade so I run Amsoil 5w40 Syn oil and I have a kill switch when it hits 350deg it turns off.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
By the time you pull off the road onto side streets and get to the campground, check in, drive to your spot, level and slides out, your turbo is cool enough. Shut down.
Now if you are pulling into rest areas, fuel stops or parking lots to rest or boondock over night, give it 3-5 minutes to cool.
All of our CAT trucks and machines were set from the factory to automatically shut down after 5 minutes of idle. If that time is good enough for CAT engineers, it's good enough for everyone else.
We had CAT turn that feature off on most of ours.

Well to my understanding the 5 Minute idle time is a EPA thing related to SMOG Pollutants from diesel exhaust. Have worked in construction industry for the last 35 years her in wonderful California, LOL!
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #13

I have wondered about this for a long time.

I normally never turn a diesel off unless i am done for the day. When i start our motorhome i run her until when i am done parking.

I do not care if they ask you to turn it off i never do.

Now I have 2014 Cummins in my truck it specially says in the manual no cool down time is needed. Well i am not sure i believe them but i do a lot of in town driving so i do turn it off then and seems to be fin 40k later.

But my Cat turns on in the morning i wait for everything to air up and away she goes until i am done for the day.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #14

LA Gulf Coast Campers
It was a nice evening, we were sitting in the camper, breeze blowing through the windows when the Ram dually pulling a fishing boat parked two sites down. The driver and passenger got out to visit with the campsite occupants. Of course the Cummings was left running. Soon the fumes reached our site carried on the once pleasant but now polluted breeze. The diesel rattled on and on for at least 15 minutes. I went over a nicely asked if the motor could be turn off,"Oh we were just leaving" 10 minutes later they did leave.