Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #1

Use of fuel treatments /additives

I have a C12 505hp Cat, and am considering Lucus fuel additive to hopefully resolve a fairly rough idle that has recently started. Any comments or recommendations?
elane210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rough idle could be dirty injector. A good fuel cleaner might help. IMO it has to do with how many miles, age, fuel condition.

I've owned a lot of diesels and found the Opti-lube to be the best fuel additive - check it out.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elane210 View Post
I have a C12 505hp Cat, and am considering Lucus fuel additive to hopefully resolve a fairly rough idle that has recently started. Any comments or recommendations?
elane210,
Well, not sure about you C12 but, for the most part, CAT, at least in the past, has not endorsed or, encourages the use of ANY additives. I think I've read that in my manuals, in several places. But, things may have changed and they might have changed their minds. I've not followed the tech side of this for a while. Maybe someone who's up on the latest in terms of what CAT does or does not recommend. I used to use Lucas but, then I finally read the manuals and have not used any for quite a while. Most of this info probably doesn't help with your question. But, I'd definitely check with either your manuals or, if you'd like, talk with a CAT repair center and hear what they have to say on the use of additives. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

I don't know Lucas, but any additive that cleans injectors should help out. Also make sure that your fuel filters have been replaced in a reasonable time period and are not restricting fuel flow.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. My engine is an 03 with approximately 103,000miles. I just had the engine serviced (Oil, filters etc) and plan to be making a 400+ mile trip in the next few days. I am going to top off with fuel + fuel additive. Any concerns if it is an injector issue of damaging anything making that long of a trip?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #6

My rough cold idle was recently improved significantly by having the valves adjusted. Have you had an overhead service on your C12?
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #7

The only fuel additive you should use in anti gelling product if you drive in cold weather. I do not think any engine mfr. recommends additives. Do a search for a review of Lucas and it is one that provides zero benefit.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
As another poster indicated, Optilube is rated very high. I personally use (1) 16oz can of Seafoam per 25gal of fuel which translates into (6) cans 2-3 times per season. Have been very satisfied with the noticeable increase in engine smoothness, quieter, and acceleration. Runs about $8-9 at wally world or Oreilly auto parts. I've not used Optilube so can't comment.
Opti-Lube Diesel Fuel Additive | Improver | Oil Fortifier | Block Grease | XPD

Sea Foam Motor Treatment - Sea Foam Sales Company
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #9

Yes. I had the overhead service performed at Ring Power ( Cat Coach Care Dealer) at approx. 58,000 miles in Orlando. I got a good readout with minimal adjustment required. Based on the replies, I am leaning toward Opti-lube fuel treatment at this point.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #10

Yes I would go with Opti-lube, it is about the highest rated out there. I use Diesel Kleen from Walmart just because I can get it from Walmart. With the fuel we get today with a cetane so low it is a wonder these puppys run. I also have a 06 Ford 6.0 and you should run cetane boost in the fuel or you will have egr and turbo problems
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:51 AM   #11

sea foam

let me second the sea foam idea. Best darn stuff ever made for engines. Raced 2cycle boats for years-mixing oil and fuel. Sea foam kept injectors and entire fuel system clean. Use it in every thing I own with an engine. My two cents, just give it a try
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #12

In 430,000 miles on a 3406E Model CAt we have always used Power Service at the recommended amounts in fuel and never anything in the oil due to foam which causes cavitation in the pump. Only one problem at about 25K and a injector failed. CAT fixed it for free at Dallas Peterbilt in about 1 HR plus they turned the fuel to it, making it a 550 hp at 2100. Boy will it fly if you don't get it over 40 inches MP. Really I can get 91 MPH out of it out west and even pass a Greyhound. Seafoam is just Mineral Spirits which wash all the oil out of bearings and off piston walls. Why do you think Mfgs don't recommend it??
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel