Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 04:54 AM   #1

Washing Engine?

I've owned my coach with a C12 for six yrs now and never washed the engine bay area. Is there any risk of using a pressure washer for this (cold engine of course).
Affinityfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 05:43 AM   #2

I will pass on my experience, I sprayed my Cummins 6.7 with some degreaser spray and used my power washer carefully. The red paint started to come off so I stopped using the power washer and finished up with a regular hose.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:21 AM   #3

Use a plastic bag to cover your alternator so you don't damage it, and be carful around electrical connectors. Be sure not to spray at too high a pressure, I try to keep my coach engine compartment clean also
Attached Images

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Agreed, engine cleaner of some sort and low pressure sprayer to rinse it off.
High pressure sprayers can force water into places where you may not want it to go.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #5

If the motor is really dirty/grease, then get a spray can of engine degreaser from any auto parts store and follow the instructions. No powerwashing, just use regular water hose pressure. Same as post#2.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

These motors and all the components are a lot more hardy than you think. In the off road (construction) scenarios, they STEAM CLEAN them ALL THE TIME and there's no damage to ANY component. An those engines have the same components on them as your motor homes do. Alternators get wet all the time through heavy rain, fans picking up splashed water from the tires and spray that water all over the place and, yes, right at the alternator. If they were that vulnerable, engines would be quitting all over the place.

The only suggestion I might say is, don't to a heavy spraying of colder water on a heated engine as, the sensors don't like the rapid change of temp. Most are designed to take it but, why take a chance. I've cleaned engines for ever, including all the fire truck engines I was in service on for years and years and never, ever had any issues.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
These motors and all the components are a lot more hardy than you think. In the off road (construction) scenarios, they STEAM CLEAN them ALL THE TIME and there's no damage to ANY component. An those engines have the same components on them as your motor homes do. Alternators get wet all the time through heavy rain, fans picking up splashed water from the tires and spray that water all over the place and, yes, right at the alternator. If they were that vulnerable, engines would be quitting all over the place.

The only suggestion I might say is, don't to a heavy spraying of colder water on a heated engine as, the sensors don't like the rapid change of temp. Most are designed to take it but, why take a chance. I've cleaned engines for ever, including all the fire truck engines I was in service on for years and years and never, ever had any issues.
Scott
Old 04-25-2018, 07:49 PM   #8

Thanks. Everyone
Affinityfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:57 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I used simple green and low pressure from a hose. Then I wiped it clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A26C9496-BE8E-4C68-A0B6-773B9E68B3E3.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	200483   Click image for larger version

Name:	5C97C314-A134-4894-A0C2-E07FDC20F376.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	200485  

tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #10

I was a mechanical supervisor for the BNSF railroad and we washed the diesel engines on mechanical refrigerator cars with a degreaser first, then with a Hotsy power washer. It does not hurt those engines at all, and the same thing with the 3126-E on my coach. I spray the engine with a degreaser and then I get my electric black cat spray washer and wash the engine real good, plus I start the engine while I am spray washing it, that way it blows all the simple green through the CAC and the radiator from the inside out.

I never cover alternators or anything. Never had any problems with electrical components.

The engine on my coach looks like the day I bought it new.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:

Scott
Electrical system is water tight if the connectors are connected properly.
charldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by charldk View Post
Electrical system is water tight if the connectors are connected properly.

The word IF should be underlined and bold, especially in a 6 year old vehicle.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post

The word IF should be underlined and bold, especially in a 6 year old vehicle.
100% of the electrical connectors in, on, around, under and affiliated with, the engine, engine compartment, transmission, etc. on just about every rolling vehicle (cars, trucks, motorhomes, motorcycles, space ships, submarines, and more) made in the last 20+ years, are made with double and triple weather tight seals. Just about everyone makes them. WeatherPak, Deutch, Bosch, Mitsubishi, and more make those connections. All of them can work completely under water. I use WeatherPak ones for most of my connections, if and when needed. They're fun to work with, IF , one has the correct tools to make it all work.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #14

Quote:
100% of the electrical connectors in, on, around, under and affiliated with, the engine, engine compartment, transmission, etc. on just about every rolling vehicle (cars, trucks, motorhomes, motorcycles, space ships, submarines, and more) made in the last 20+ years, are made with double and triple weather tight seals. Just about everyone makes them. WeatherPak, Deutch, Bosch, Mitsubishi, and more make those connections. All of them can work completely under water. I use WeatherPak ones for most of my connections, if and when needed. They're fun to work with, IF , one has the correct tools to make it all work.
Scott

As a retired GM Engineer, I'm very familiar with harness connectors and the rubber seal aging studies. Part of my job was durability testing and electrical connectors are prone to fail.

Tags
engine