Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2016, 09:56 PM   #15

For mine, no matter what I do at the end of the trip I always average around 5.4 which is what the Aladin says mine has averaged over the entire time.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2016, 11:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
For mine, no matter what I do at the end of the trip I always average around 5.4 which is what the Aladin says mine has averaged over the entire time.
Are you taking into account the use of the generator and or the Aqua-Hot?
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:31 AM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
I get the same milage 55 or 75 MPhil. Put 30k on our CAT in 2 years. Speed made no difference. Never went above 75.
Sounds like you've violated the laws of physics with it then and most sure there are some people at MIT and elsewhere that would like taking in your rig for extensive study....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:21 AM   #18

I agree with Tropical36 - there would be a significant difference between the mileage you get at 55 vs 75 mph. Now I do touch 75 occasionally on a downhill run - but never under throttle. I am a bit of a coward so I won't let it run that fast unless I have a clear line of sight down the road and usually good clear areas to either side and a hill I'm about to go up (conservation of momentum).

Regarding considering the aquahot and generator, it does make it a bit tedious to calculate actual mileage. You need to fill at the start and end of a day rather than every other day, and you can't fill on successive mornings. This means you don't get full trip mileage, typically every other day numbers. It is also complicated by the fact that the tank is the width of the coach and a small difference in level will mean up to 5 gallons difference in the fill.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #19

Just for fun, I don't take the aqua hot or generator usage into account because I am reading directly from the ecm on both the Aladdin system and the VMSPC that I have hooked up. The ecm keeps track of total fuel mileage, hours of operation, fuel used in gallons. The history of my coach shows 5.4 mpg for the life of the engine. I have tried many different things including wiring harness plug ins to increase the mileage but to no avail. I call CAT and went over all the updates covered on my engine since new and decided to have the latest flash installed because there is a problem in the Eco where it can essentially self destruct itself and one of the flashes takes care of that. I would advise anyone with a c13 to call CAT and find out if they need that update.
Steve
Old 12-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #20

As for driving at 75 you might want to contact your tire manufacturer and see what the maximum speed rating is for your tires. I thought I read somewhere that they aren't rated for 75.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
As for driving at 75 you might want to contact your tire manufacturer and see what the maximum speed rating is for your tires. I thought I read somewhere that they aren't rated for 75.
Every one of them, I've ever looked at, say max 75mph, right on the sidewall.
Wouldn't want to blow a steer tire at that speed, no matter what it said.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #22

You are correct, my XZA2 michelin tires are rated for 75.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #23

Quote:
The Michelins I have are rated for over 80. Since I'm paranoid about a run-away, or losing a tire and going off the edge of the shoulder down a grade (some of the roads in the mountains have steep edges) it really has to be clear on the sides and with an upgrade in front.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #24
Cat

Do know what the flash file number they installed? And if you give me your engine serial number I can tell you which flash file you should have. It's possible they installed an incorrect flash file.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #25

Engine flash files

CAT, my engine serial number is KCB21422. It was built on 23Sept2004. The original personality module part number (flash) was 2602870. Back in march of 2015 I had a product status report pulled and the personality module part number was 2912048 so somewhere along the line the ECM had been reflashed. I spoke at length with Glen on the CAT RV tech line and found that there were six flash updates available for my engine since the 2912048 flash. The updates were for the following items:
Soft Cruise
Dead pedal
Cold Mode
Vehicle Battery Disconnect
White Smoke high altitude
Fuel Temperature
Improved Acceleration

On 11/24/2015 I took the MH to the CAT dealer and had them install the latest updates in mine and now my personality module part number is 3411502.

I would advise that anyone with a CAT engine take it to the dealer or to a shop with the correct computer and software to pull a Product Status Report as it will give them a ton of information that is stored in the ECM. For example, the lifetime driving mpg for my engine at that time was 5.3mpg () calculated by mileage divided by total fuel. My engine had 111,547,000 lifetime total engine revolutions. I know all the configurations of the motor as well as the settings for around 100 calibrations. I even know how many hours that the engine as run in a certain rpm and mph range as well as Injector trim calibration and FLS and FTS (fuel metering).
Steve
Old 12-05-2016, 06:27 PM   #26
Cat

OK sounds like you've already checked with CAT on the software. I will say this --the total fuel is the total "calculated" fuel burned it is not exact. The other item that you should see in the history is the fuel burned at idle. It is stunning to see how much fuel is burned idling. The on highway trucks 18 wheelers--- 10 years ago and longer burned 50 % of their total fuel useage was idling. So all that time sitting waiting for the engine to warm up or cool down or while you do other things add up. The lifetime average of course is idle time in town driving and highway driving.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Sounds like you've violated the laws of physics with it then and most sure there are some people at MIT and elsewhere that would like taking in your rig for extensive study....
Sure they do!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
The Michelins I have are rated for over 80. Since I'm paranoid about a run-away, or losing a tire and going off the edge of the shoulder down a grade (some of the roads in the mountains have steep edges) it really has to be clear on the sides and with an upgrade in front.
The max speed rating is on the side of the tire and yes they are rated at 75mph. As long as I don't hit 76 or higher I should be ok. LOL
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote