Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2016, 06:42 AM   #29

CAT, I was looking at fuel burned during idle and according the the computer I burn about a gallon an hour idling. When you calculate how many gallons of fuel this thing has used times the cost of fuel it gets prettying scary......
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #30
Cat

Sometimes you can get too much information. Especially when you start looking at the costs😂😂
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Do know what the flash file number they installed? And if you give me your engine serial number I can tell you which flash file you should have. It's possible they installed an incorrect flash file.
CAT - took me a while to notice your asked for the flash and SN. My attention was elsewhere. The flash that the dealer put on it is 341-1502. The flash that was on it was the original that came from the factory - the first digit was a 2. The dealer may not have updated the engine history because Finning here in Calgary couldn't find it.

The SN is KCB28041. Since the valve lash adjustment it is running better than it was (more like it did a year ago), just seems to like fuel more.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #32
Cat

Ok from the factory the engine had 262-4542 it has up dated several times the final or latest is the 341-1502. So it shouldn't be a software problem. When they did your valves did they check all the engine brake settings? I didn't look but have you looked or changed air filters? Also what is your boost reading when driving down a flat highway at your normal speed is the boost higher than it used to be or lower? Any damage to the muffler or tail pipe?
attached is what your boost should be pulling very hard-- max.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KCB boost.png
Views:	100
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	146288  
Old 12-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #33

That equals 48psi. Mine runs around 45 or so on a hard pull. I love the fact that Monaco installed a 30psi turbo gauge on a CAT Acert motor that runs so much higher turbo pressure.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #34

Cat - I was going to do the lash adjustment with the help of a friend who is a Cat mechanic, but he injured himself and doing it myself wasn't appealing (my gas engine is one thing, the C13 is a beast) so I had it done by some guys I trust.

They have a fair bit of Cat experience, Finning shut down their OTR service center so they are not an option, but they were good enough to give me the procedure which I provided to my shop. They said they did the valves, engine brake, and fuel injector adjustment as specified.

I did have the exhaust cross over changed about a year ago, and they gave the exhaust a good looking over to make sure it was not a DPF muffler when they were thinking about a re-flash.

I haven't remarked anything unusual about the boost numbers, but I wasn't really focussed on them and I don't drive it enough that I really trust my memory from a year ago compared to a month ago. I'll have it out on the highway in a couple of weeks and I'll check it then (god willing and if the passes don't get snowed in).

They guys at my diesel shop really didn't push the re-flash and strongly suggested I watch the consumption.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #35
Cat

OK, sounds good. As far as boost a rough number would be in neutral at HI / full throttle 5 psi
Much higher than that I would look for parasitic loads or restricted exhaust. I have seen the rubber boots on the intake collapse under load or if the air filter is restricted. Normally you would get a intake restriction event code but it's possible to have this happen and not set a code or event. Depends on the location of the intake sensor. Good luck
Old 12-11-2016, 08:38 AM   #36

Cat - not sure what you are describing. Is it a way to get a boost reading on a vehicle that is not moving? My bus is parked about 30 miles away, I'll be bringing it up to the house in about two weeks, so I should be able to see boost at WOT then.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:22 AM   #37
Cat

Yes you do get some boost just running the engine at full throttle in neutral. Obviously it shouldn't be much. Boost is produced as the engine comes under load and it is trying to maintain or reach a rpm which the driver sets- accelerator pedal. In neutral there shouldn't be much load but there will be some, fan, transmission internals, alternator,A/C if on. So in neutral at high idle you should some boost -5psi -. or around that maybe lower maybe slightly higher. BUT it should NOT be much higher --if it is that would indicate a higher than normal parasitic load.So checking boost in neutral would give you an indication of what load the engine is under.
One other thing have you checked it see how the bus coasts in neutral?? Just get everything up to normal operating temperature drive 5 or 10 mph and place transmission in to neutral and see if the coach coasts along or does it seem like it stops faster than it should. Make sure you do this in a safe area no traffic. It won't coast like bicycle but it should slow down slowly. If it stops fast that would be an indication that something is causing drag- brakes wheel bearing etc.Hope that helps.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #38

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
CAT we very much appreciate your input and if you don't mind I would like to know what Flash I should have on my C-13 #KCB88310. I have the motorhome in storage and will also be heading out in a couple of weeks. Records for valve adjust and if they did a Flash are in a file in the motorhome.
Thank you,
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #39
Cat

JohnFreyja original from factory was 291-2048 the latest for that flash file is 341-1502.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
I've asked two different CAT dealers about flashing and both told me it the engine was running good don't mess with it.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #41
Cat

It's not absolutely necessary to reflash unless there are issues. If you have no complaints or random diagnostic codes then no worries. Sometimes the updates are for improved starting in cold weather ( early C7 had a real problem with this) or acceleration or emissions. Cat didn't always release information on what the software up dates do. So you don't really know what your getting or missing on a flash update. If you're happy it's all good.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #42
Cat

Not sure. It depends on how the software is set up. In other words I'm not sure which ECM- computer is in control of the cruise settings on your coach. The engine control could be in control of the cruise rpms or they might have set it up so the coach control sets the cruise rpms. I'm guessing that its the coach control since when you turn it off the engine responds normally to the foot throttle. Without connecting a laptop and using CAT ET software it wouldn't be possible to find out what's causing the surge. Your coach manufacturer might be able to tell you if they have had software problems with the cruise control. Or if they use a different speed sensor for their cruise control.