RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Caterpillar Engine Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:17 AM   #1

What's the recommended maintenance Cat 3126

Cat 3126e 330 HP with 85,000 miles.

Recently had the A/C compressor idler pulley seize up which broke the belt so I've replaced the serpentine belt, the water pump belt, the tensioner, and the compressor of course.

Looking for real world recommendations of things I should be doing now on my Cat engine as maintenance. Is there something I should do to avoid a road breakdown? Do turbos need any maintenance? I have the Jake brake and use it extensively, is there something I need to do on that?

Anything recommended I should do now or should watch for or check?

Thanks!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Check out the video. Maintenance recommendations at the end.

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Cat 3126e 330 HP with 85,000 miles.

Recently had the A/C compressor idler pulley seize up which broke the belt so I've replaced the serpentine belt, the water pump belt, the tensioner, and the compressor of course.

Looking for real world recommendations of things I should be doing now on my Cat engine as maintenance. Is there something I should do to avoid a road breakdown? Do turbos need any maintenance? I have the Jake brake and use it extensively, is there something I need to do on that?

Anything recommended I should do now or should watch for or check?

Thanks!
Hey Jim,
I'm sure you meant "Exhaust Brake" instead of "Jake". Unless yours, like ours, is marketed by "Jacobs". In either case, it's just an exhaust brake. As for maintenance on it, I'm sure you've seen a few threads on lubing the pivot points on all the mechanism of it. You can get specific lube made for the high temp of it's operation. I don't have a link to it but, I'm sure with about 5 seconds of searching, you'd find it on Amazon etc.

Too bad about your seizing up of your tensioner. We've owned our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 now for just a hair over 8 years and, waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when we first purchased it, it developed a radiator leak. Well, ultra long story short, I yanked out that CAC and the radiator and while I was in there monkeying around with all that, I analyzed ALL the bearing operated components, i.e. serpentine tensioner, idler, water pump tensioner, fan bearing etc.

Well, at only 40K on the clock at the time, the spring tension on the serpentine tensioner was still plenty strong and, the pulley itself was also in great shape. So, I figured that, the bearings inside that tensioner were replaceable. So, out they came and, down to Graingers I went. For a mere $20+, I replaced both, side by side SK bearings in that tensioner. And, likewise for the idler for that serpentine belt.

At that time, I could not get the fan bearing system apart. So, I gave up on it and put the whole system back together. Now, fast forward about 6.5 years and, it all came out again. This time, I WON the war against the fan bearing. My tensioner for the serpentine was still quiet as could be as were the other bearings.

Now, as for other maintenance that could possibly avert a catastrophe for you, well, you already know the belts, hoses, T-stats (CAT calls them Regulators) and things like that. I just did all that. Whereable items, like turbo bearings, fan bearings, tensioner bearings, water pump bearings and things like that, are very, very difficult to predict if and when, they might fail. Some have gone well over 100K miles. While others, have given up the ghost at a mere 30K miles. All you can do is, use as much logic as possible in determining just when certain items might be due for replacement. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the video. And thanks for the info Scott. I didn't go to all that trouble as I didn't think about replacing just the bearings in the idlers. Hmm. I'll have to consider doing that in the future.

Most of the info in the vid is good news. Not much to worry about with my 3126...except the Heui pump and the hose leading to it.

Anyone know if the Heui pump should changed out with a reman'ed at 85,000?

Anyone know the hose PN and where to purchase? I understand it's been changed to steel.

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #5

Quote:

Most of the info in the vid is good news. Not much to worry about with my 3126...except the Heui pump and the hose leading to it.

Anyone know if the Heui pump should changed out with a reman'ed at 85,000?

Anyone know the hose PN and where to purchase? I understand it's been changed to steel.

Thanks.
Currently a thread going on the subject .

HEUI pump oil line upgrade from rubber style line
Old 05-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #6

i have replaced the turbo(burning oil), alternator, waterpump(not bad but would have been an issue in the near term)
Old 05-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #7

Is the Turbo something I need worry about now at 85K miles? Why did you change yours? It's very hard to get to and I've done no maintenance on it...is it suppose to be lubed or anything?

I was told several times by diesel mechanics that it's rare to have to replace the water pump as they're good for 300K miles. Or so I've been told.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
There is no maintenance on the Turbo. Just make sure the inlet hoses and clamps are tight and no leaks so no dirt gets in, and your air filter is clean.

If you have an exhaust brake (a.k.a. PAC brake) there is lubrication needed on the linkages.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	245207  
Old 05-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #9

Thanks for the info and advice, Scott.

Quote:
Hey Jim,
I'm sure you meant "Exhaust Brake" instead of "Jake". Unless yours, like ours, is marketed by "Jacobs". In either case, it's just an exhaust brake. As for maintenance on it, I'm sure you've seen a few threads on lubing the pivot points on all the mechanism of it. You can get specific lube made for the high temp of it's operation. I don't have a link to it but, I'm sure with about 5 seconds of searching, you'd find it on Amazon etc.
Actually, in my documentation that came with the RV, it's listed as an actual Jacobs Exhaust Brake...so it's a Jake Brake I guess. The lube is suppose to be silicone according to the sheet shown above in CountryB's post.

I hadn't seen the documentation for lubing it until now in this thread. Must have missed it somehow. So my thanks to CountryB for the sheet. I've copied it to my computer.

Now, the water pump...anyone have a recommendation on that? Or a guesstimate of how many miles I might get on the pump?

Old 05-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
It can be confusing when we are using manufacturer names/brands to describe the thing rather than the technical name - as Jacobs Company (Jake brake) makes a "compression" (engine) brake and an "exhaust" brake (also called a PAC brake).

Exhaust Brake:
https://www.jacobsvehiclesystems.com...exhaust-brakes

Compression Brake:
https://www.jacobsvehiclesystems.com...e-engine-brake
Old 05-09-2019, 01:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Is the Turbo something I need worry about now at 85K miles? Why did you change yours? It's very hard to get to and I've done no maintenance on it...is it suppose to be lubed or anything?

I was told several times by diesel mechanics that it's rare to have to replace the water pump as they're good for 300K miles. Or so I've been told.
Well for mine it has never used oil, then on a trip it started to use oil without reason. It was narrowed down turbo must have had a seal going bad.

If i would not have been checking the oil honestly i would not have noticed no signs warnings etc..

The water pump i replaced because of the issue with the frozen bolt deal i have a whole thread on it i had to remove decided to replace at same time. Mine the internal bearing was definitely going to go.

I really think these are not miles issues more of age issues. Which is to be expected with a 17 year old.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #12

Thanks for the informative links, CountryB, that straightens it out. Exhaust Brake or Engine Brake...both Jacob Brakes.

And thanks for the info boyland. OK, so keeping an eye on oil usage and color of exhaust will point out a possible bad seal in the Turbo since it is spun by the engines oil pump.

Water pump - it depends.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the informative links, CountryB, that straightens it out. Exhaust Brake or Engine Brake...both Jacob Brakes.

And thanks for the info boyland. OK, so keeping an eye on oil usage and color of exhaust will point out a possible bad seal in the Turbo since it is spun by the engines oil pump.

Water pump - it depends.
I would add in general if i remove something i do not put used back on. But that is me others will have much different opinions.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #14

When I started this thread a couple weeks ago, I didn't know I'd be heading down the rabbits hole as regards the HEUI and oil feed hose. I've gathered much info about it thanks to others who have had to contend with repair, replacement, or leaks, and I'm going to do something about it this fall, and that's to replace my cracked HEUI oil feed hose.

I would like to use a rubber hose instead of the steel kit that Cat sells as a replacement but they don't show that hose. I thought I saw one during my searches at a different Cat parts source but can't find it now.

So does anyone have the old Cat P/N for the hose? Or a link to a source for it?

Thanks!

Tags
cat, maintenance