RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:55 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
1994 Allison 3060 hangs in 4th gear

Recently my 1994 Allison 3060 6 speed transmission hangs in 3rd or more often 4th gear.

By running through the push button gear selection at 45 mph, I sometimes can get the Allison to shift into 5th gear. Other times it shifts perfectly as it should.

I did lose the cotter pin and spacer from my throttle connector and had to replace it, but do not think that exercise changed anything.

Does anyone know what I should be checking to eliminate this inconvenience?

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #2

Good thing about Allison tranny is that they can be re-programmed by an Allison technician. Had mine re-programmed a couple of times in my '99 Diplomat due to hard shifting into 4th gear. Stewart and Stevenson shops are Allison techs, if there is one close to you. Otherwise find a nearby Allison shop or possibly an over-the-road truck shop with an Allison tech..

Old 12-01-2018, 03:06 AM   #3

Are there any codes in the TCM? Press the up/down arrows at the same time and see what you see. If there are codes set, it will flash d1, then the code... d2, then the next code... etc.

It could be the throttle position sensor... either out of adjustment, or it could be going bad? The TPS sends "counts" to the TCM... the count is in direct correlation with the stroke of the sensor. The sensor must be adjusted so that the range of motion from idle to wide open throttle is centered over the entire swing or stroke of the TPS. There is of course a tolerance to this... since you can't read the count without a code reader, you would have to resort to actually measuring the distance the cable is being pulled. Some patience and a set of dial calipers is all that's necessary.

One thing you might try... if you're issues with the cotter pin and spacer changed how the TPS cable pulls, it really could be as easy as resetting the TPS. Most Allison dealers will do this for free as it only takes about a minute. I also found a post by an Allison technician on a school bus forum who said you can reset the TPS yourself using the following sequence:

1) Cycle the ignition on/off 5 times - make sure the TCM boots up every time
2) on the 5th "on" cycle, press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and back to idle before turning the key off.

I have only ever found this advice once on the net... it doesn't seem to be in any of the allison manuals that I've seen, so I can't verify it's legit. I have, however, done this many times on our rig with the same tranny and controller that you have with success. It seems like after a lot of mountain driving at slow speeds, the shift points will become a little harsh - usually downshifting to 4th gets a little dodgy... After performing the above procedure, it ALWAYS smooths out.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:37 AM   #4

Piker, thank you for the detailed instructions. I will give your method with the ignition a try.

I do not know if I can get codes on the transmission. Allison told me several years ago that I cannot get oil levels on the pad because that feature was not installed on my rig.

But I will test for transmission codes. I had forgotten about that feature.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 12-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #5

Yeah the oil level sensor wasn't installed on mine either. Would have been a nice feature to have.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #6

So with Pikers clues I searched and found this APPS reset procedure which sounds similar.

"Disconnect both batteries overnight. While batteries are still disconnected, turn key to 'run' to drain any residual charge in capacitors. Reconnect batteries, turn key to run (not start) and slowly depress accelerator all the way to the floor and then slowly let it back up. Turn off key. Bob's your uncle, APPS is reset. You may not need to leave it overnight, but
I am sure it is at least a couple of hours.

Another source indicates the capacitor discharge time period needs to be at least 30 minutes. I suspect turning the ignition on and off 5 times is an alternative procedure for capacitor draining.

The engine being discussed in the above quote is is a 1998 5.9L Cummins.

I will try this. And report back.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 12-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
So with Pikers clues I searched and found this APPS reset procedure which sounds similar.

"Disconnect both batteries overnight. While batteries are still disconnected, turn key to 'run' to drain any residual charge in capacitors. Reconnect batteries, turn key to run (not start) and slowly depress accelerator all the way to the floor and then slowly let it back up. Turn off key. Bob's your uncle, APPS is reset. You may not need to leave it overnight, but
I am sure it is at least a couple of hours.

Another source indicates the capacitor discharge time period needs to be at least 30 minutes. I suspect turning the ignition on and off 5 times is an alternative procedure for capacitor draining.

The engine being discussed in the above quote is is a 1998 5.9L Cummins.

I will try this. And report back.
That is certainly a different sequence - and the "5 times on the key" never mentioned disconnecting the batteries.
Interesting.

I performed the 5 times on/off and last time floor and release the fuel pedal (without any battery disconnect). I haven't started and drove the coach since to see if it helps.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:24 PM   #8

Well, I used the battery disconnect for 30 minutes.

Then I turned the ignition on and off five times.

Then pushed the throttle to the floor and back.

Turned off the battery disconnect.

Then pushed the throttle to the floor and back.

I will drive the rig on Tuesday, but my symptoms were intermittent so may not prove anything in the short term.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 12-04-2018, 04:26 AM   #9

The suspense is killing me... I'd like to know if this method actually works for anyone else. It will shed light on whether I’m insane or not. If the 5 cycles on the ignition thing is a lie, then it proves I just believe what I want to believe. Lol.

Cheers
Old 12-04-2018, 04:30 AM   #10

FYI... I have specifically read that the Allison TCM does not reset when voltage is removed from it. The memory is “non-volatile” and does not require current to maintain. Take that with a grain of salt... just what I thought I read somewhere.

Cheers
Old 12-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #11

Yesterday I drove the rig about 3 miles for the first time since applying the ignition procedure.

The Allison shifted very smoothly, and also quickly, between 3rd and fifth gears.

This seemed to be a significant improvement. I did have hard shifts from 2nd to 3rd but perhaps that was a "learning" symptom for the transmission.

The shift from 4th to 5th was almost non-detectable and occurred at about 43 mph.

This is not an definitive test of a result. But I may not have the opportunity to drive it a distance for several days.

I did not get the Allison warmed up enough to retrieve codes.
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 12-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #12

Sounds promising!!

Cheers
Old 12-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #13

Cool.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:41 AM   #14

Cycling the ignition without moving the throttle, then on the last cycle moving the throttle does, in most cases, do the trick if you have a throttle sensor that is out of calibration. It's a long explanation I won't bore you with. In brief, when the ignition cycles the counts range of the TPS is basically shrunk a little bit and the high and low limits reset as the throttle moves.
Adaptive information for the shifts is stored in non volatile memory, as are historical diagnostic codes. However, disconnecting the vehicle batteries can affect other things in the vehicle and may result in shifts that feel different after doing that. So if it works, great!

dbarton291 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison