RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #1

Allison 1000 Series 8.1

Was traveling down the road just after fuel/propane fillup. We were at approx. 45 mph and then a VERY loud bang from underneath the MH. A sound that I can.t really explain. I thought I hit something and the wife said it sounded like the emergency brake ????? I have no idea how she came up with that. Anyho the dash lit up with that exclamation mark with a gear symol. I pulled over wal;ked around kicked the tires ,crawled underneath and all looked fine. We proceded with the lights still on to our campsite, top speed attainable was 45 mph, and the eng. was flat with barely enough power to get us to our site. After a 3 days of fun we cranked her up no lights and all was well ???????????????? So anyone want to comment please do and don.t pull no punches. We are hoping to go to the east coast toards the end of july. Currenly I,m going to pull the main xmsn oil filter and cut it open and see if? Rig has 40100 miles HELP Jim

fayjim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 03:09 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayjim2 View Post
Was traveling down the road just after fuel/propane fillup. We were at approx. 45 mph and then a VERY loud bang from underneath the MH. A sound that I can.t really explain. I thought I hit something and the wife said it sounded like the emergency brake ????? I have no idea how she came up with that. Anyho the dash lit up with that exclamation mark with a gear symol. I pulled over wal;ked around kicked the tires ,crawled underneath and all looked fine. We proceded with the lights still on to our campsite, top speed attainable was 45 mph, and the eng. was flat with barely enough power to get us to our site. After a 3 days of fun we cranked her up no lights and all was well ???????????????? So anyone want to comment please do and don.t pull no punches. We are hoping to go to the east coast toards the end of july. Currenly I,m going to pull the main xmsn oil filter and cut it open and see if? Rig has 40100 miles HELP Jim
please add the particulars of your rv to your signature block of your profile.
the year and model etc. of your rv would be nice to know when trying to trouble shoot your problem.
did you smell anything hot or burning?
what is the fluid level in the engine and transmission?

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Things that make a very loud bang from a transmission are not good. The fact that you cannot go over 45 mph is also bad because that is either the engine being derated for safety or the transmission is locked in a limp home mode. Either way I hope it is not far to go to a good dealer or it is time to get it towed. If it was me I would get it towed. Make sure they take out the driveshaft before they tow you. Look up towing in your manual and make sure the two truck follows all the instructions.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Before I did anything myself I would go to an Authorized Allison service center and have them check for any codes stored in your transmission. Looks like you're in Idaho. Here are 5 Allison centers in Idaho. You can check for more at:

Allison Transmission

-Tom

Cummins Rocky Mountain, LLC
Allison Dealer
8949 South Frederal Way
Boise , ID 83716
Phone: 208-336-5000

Smith Power Products, Inc.
Allison Distributor Branch
4045 Transport
Boise, ID 83705
Phone: 208-345-1500