RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #1

Allison 2100 operation questions

Hi,

My 2008 Itasca Latitude has a 6 speed Allsion 2100 transmission with a push shifter button shifter mounted on the drivers side wall.

So far I have not manually shifted. Should I be doing so? sometimes its in 4th or 5th on the flat and does not kick up to 5th or 6th for a 5-10 seconds.

Also what is the mode button for? the manual does not say so.

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I don't know what manual you have, but it sounds pretty poor. The function of the 'Mode' button is readily available most everywhere. The 'Mode' button gives a whole second range of shift points and engine RPM parameters. Often an 'E' will display, showing ECONOMY mode has been selected. When driving on grades, I pay attention more to RPMs and engine temperature than speed. You might see the engine temperature climb, that's another indication that a downshift might be prudent. Learn the torque curve of your engine and when going up a grade, if the RPMs drop out of the best torque range, manually selecting a lower gear will be the best for your engine. A diesel engine produces torque at lower RPMs than a gas engine, lugging, or being in too high a gear for the terrain is a common problem and with the engine so far behind you it might be hard to recognize. That's why your temperature and RPM gauges are important.

The Allison computer won't allow you to make dangerous shifts, learn to get comfortable shifting manually. While they have done a good job making an 'automatic' transmission, it's not perfect and manually selecting gears while in hills or mountains can make things work much better.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #3

Thanks Bob,

It was a manual I downloaded as my paper copy is in the coach at the storage.

I do recall there is an E, I will check it out later.

I will try manually shifting on the next big hill I drive :-)
Old 08-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #4

From reading the paper manual and doimg further research online Economy mode needs to be selected after each engine start.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:58 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
From reading the paper manual and doimg further research online Economy mode needs to be selected after each engine start.
Yes, it defaults to regular setting each time the engine is started.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #6

Thanks Bob,

I look forward to using the economy mode.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:29 PM   #7

Allison tran

I think---- if you are downshifted to a lower gear goning down hill and let the rpms get to high the allison will auto shift you to a higher gear before it will let you sling your motor apart.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10EC View Post
I think---- if you are downshifted to a lower gear goning down hill and let the rpms get to high the allison will auto shift you to a higher gear before it will let you sling your motor apart.
The transmission won't allow a downshift if it would cause the engine to overrev. In addition, the engine ECU would cut off fuel or also protect itself from overrevving. If there is an engine brake, it would also be wise to have it on and engaged if descending a grade.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-28-2018, 08:06 PM   #9

Thanks both,

I am mainly looking to use it to keep in a higher gear for longer going uphill.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflinn181 View Post
the transmission won't allow a downshift if it would cause the engine to overrev. In addition, the engine ecu would cut off fuel or also protect itself from overrevving. If there is an engine brake, it would also be wise to have it on and engaged if descending a grade.

cutting off fuel, or taking your foot off the pedal will not stop a trans from overreving a engine.
A allison trans manuel will make some good reading for you.

Tags
allison