Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Allison Transmission Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #1

Allison 3000 3-4 shift

Hello. I am having some issues with my 96 Monaco Dynasty and am trying to determine if I have a trans issue or, an engine related issue. Going back a few months I had noticed that my mechanical 8.3 was down on boost pressure. Typically, I would see pressures at/above 30 psi ( I have a fuel plate and some other mods that were done by previous owner). Last few months I have only seen a max of 25-28 psi. during this time, my trans has had some strange shifting characteristics that seem to have developed, particularly in the 3-4 shift. After being up and down this coach, I realized that I had a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. Ahh! this explains the decrease in boost pressure right? Nope! $1900 later, still down on boost and now have this 3-4 shift hangup. Some refer to this as "flare"? What I notice is that as I accelerate in 3rd gear I see a loss in boost pressure as much as 15psi right before the 3-4 which the trans seems to "hangup" and then the rpm jumps 3-400 rpm and then it will shift. I have checked for codes on the shift pad and there are none. New trans was installed back in 2013 and has about 20000 miles since. fluid is Transynd and looks/smells like new. I am lost as I do not know if this issue is trans related or engine related. I have been told that a reduction in engine power will cause these transmissions do some weird things. Any thoughts or things to look at or, do I need to find an Allison dealer to diagnose the problem? Any help is appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
I would check the TPS -Throttle position Sensor-- Its in line on your Throttle Cable- and needs adjustment from time to time depending on mileage. There's also a Brass bell crank on the end of that cable that wears out.- I seem to change mine every 75,000 miles or so. It won't throw a code but certainly affects shifting .
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMarc95 View Post
Hello. I am having some issues with my 96 Monaco Dynasty and am trying to determine if I have a trans issue or, an engine related issue. Going back a few months I had noticed that my mechanical 8.3 was down on boost pressure. Typically, I would see pressures at/above 30 psi ( I have a fuel plate and some other mods that were done by previous owner). Last few months I have only seen a max of 25-28 psi. during this time, my trans has had some strange shifting characteristics that seem to have developed, particularly in the 3-4 shift. After being up and down this coach, I realized that I had a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. Ahh! this explains the decrease in boost pressure right? Nope! $1900 later, still down on boost and now have this 3-4 shift hangup. Some refer to this as "flare"? What I notice is that as I accelerate in 3rd gear I see a loss in boost pressure as much as 15psi right before the 3-4 which the trans seems to "hangup" and then the rpm jumps 3-400 rpm and then it will shift. I have checked for codes on the shift pad and there are none. New trans was installed back in 2013 and has about 20000 miles since. fluid is Transynd and looks/smells like new. I am lost as I do not know if this issue is trans related or engine related. I have been told that a reduction in engine power will cause these transmissions do some weird things. Any thoughts or things to look at or, do I need to find an Allison dealer to diagnose the problem? Any help is appreciated.
Am broke down by Allison dist right now. 3rd trans in 20k
Cat568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #4

3rd 3060MD in 20k

Had fluid change 3k ago. No trouble. No codes. Burnt up. Allison and I are insane about this. They are trying to blame monaco or Cummins. Hey, no one knows what the heck. Just got it on fri though.
Managment is involved.
Cat568 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison